Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

moving a tank

More
01 Oct 2012 18:23 #1 by paulv (paul vickers)
hi all, am looking for advise on how best to transport a large, 9ft tank, without breaking it or my back. its already dry, its an old tank so hopefully the seals will hold out and not leak when refilled. its a 9ft by 2ft by 28inchs high tank with a 6ft sump.i have a lagre trailer and can hire skates with wheels. any tips ye might have especially from experience will be great help. thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2012 18:34 #2 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
it might be better if you could get some kind of jack to raise the tank up to the height of the trailer bed, it would prevent stress on the glass and the joints, then use the skates to slide it into place on the trailer. an extra few pairs of hands would be very helpful too. or if you had enough people it might be better to just carry it to the trailer. use aeroboard under the tank to reduce vibrations etc while in transit and strap it down well. that's just my idea of how i'd go about it but i'm sure someone else could add to this or correct me if i'm wrong. you could always ring one of the sponsors and ask how they would normally move a tank of this size? best of luck with the move.

wayne

More
02 Oct 2012 05:10 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic moving a tank
good idea about the aeroboard, ill use that for sure.i did ask some movers to help but they asking 200 plus and many of them wont even touch the job so its down to me. i can get 3 other strong helpers(beers and food included :cheer: )thanks for the advise wayne, ill let ye know how it goes and mayb my experience will help others here.

More
02 Oct 2012 12:28 #4 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
did you ring any of the sponsors? they might be able to give you a more detailed option of how to move it mate? the more info ya have the easier it should be!!!

wayne

More
02 Oct 2012 17:36 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic moving a tank
i did chat to SH, they did give me some advise and offered to view the tank once i got it home to check it over before i filled it, like u say the more opinions i get the better.this is a great forum to ask advise and listen to more experienced fish keepers than i am.its a bad day when u dont learn something new :whistle:

More
03 Oct 2012 12:38 #6 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
you hit the nail on the head with the advice part, i'd be lost without the forum!!! good look with the move and hopefully it goes to plan. you should start a thread to document it, from moving the tank and setting it up to the final stock. (with pics of course) ;)
good luck, wayne

More
03 Oct 2012 20:47 #7 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

i did chat to SH, they did give me some advise and offered to view the tank once i got it home to check it over before i filled it, like u say the more opinions i get the better.this is a great forum to ask advise and listen to more experienced fish keepers than i am.its a bad day when u dont learn something new :whistle:

well done to seahorse for their offer, a good bunch of lads, and good idea by wayne, this is something you should document for the forum

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
03 Oct 2012 23:47 #8 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
If its on a stand and a tiled floor it can be slid/dragged across the floor. Momentum being the key, once moving keep moving.
Changes in flooring can be tricky as theyre like speed bumps.
If it can be lifted to some degree, then moving-skates are good or even a skateboard but that would be limited to weight.
Steel pipes or rollbars can also be used to roll it across the floor/ground.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds