Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Resealing tank

More
07 Nov 2012 00:29 #1 by belueberry (E I)
Ok this is the quick version. We thought our tank was leaking so we bought some Woodies brand clear silicone to fix it. We peeled off the rubber seals on the outside only, not the inside, applied silicone on the outside of all joints and it's now curing. We now realise the tank was not leaking, just dripping from the hood from the spray coming from the air stone. Needless to say we feel like gobshites. :S

The internal seals are all intact, it's just the outer "lip" part that has been replaced with silicone.

Do I now need to take the whole tank apart and re-seal it properly? Or will it be ok? I didn't realise there was a difference between DIY silicone and aquarium silicone until a few minutes ago either. I thought it was just a marketing ploy. The silicone does contain a fungicide but it is on the outside of the glass only. Do you think I will get away with it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2012 00:57 #2 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
The short answer to your question is No! You have to reseal the inside joints with aquarium grade silicone. General purpose silicone that you get in Woodies etc. has anti fungal/mould additives which is toxic to fish. Also sealing the outside joints will not stop a leak. You need to seal the inside joint as the pressure of the water works to enforce the seal, silicone on the outside is like putting a plaster on it.

More
07 Nov 2012 00:59 - 07 Nov 2012 01:02 #3 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Hi belueberry,
From my limited experience i reckon you'll be fine seeing as its on the outside and the actual seal is still intact just keep an eye on it and try to keep the splashing from the spray bar and air stone to a min so you can monitor it. Btw you can get silicone without fungicide and its not aquarium silicone but is fine to use and cheaper.
hope all works out
regards
jim
Last edit: 07 Nov 2012 01:02 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly). Reason: spelling

More
07 Nov 2012 01:00 #4 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Am i right in saying that there is no leak?

More
07 Nov 2012 01:02 #5 by belueberry (E I)
Replied by belueberry (E I) on topic Resealing tank
There is no leak and never was. Neither is there any contact of silicone and water. The internal seal is undamaged but the outer lip of rubber is now replaced with a bead of silicone.

More
07 Nov 2012 01:11 #6 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
As far as i know it will be fine as the silicone on the outside has no structural use so i think your ok because the silcone is not in contact with the water.

More
07 Nov 2012 01:11 #7 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
There are two reasons for water on the outside of a tank. There is a leak from the joints or the filter/pump is putting water over the top of the tank. What I would do is completely dry the outside of the tank with a towel, wait 10 or 15 minutes and run your fingers down all edges of the tank. It should be obvious if you have a leak. Make sure the out flow from the filter is not pushing water over the top of the tank.

Good luck :)

More
07 Nov 2012 01:16 #8 by belueberry (E I)
We have done that. It is clear now from the pattern of water damage on the tank stand that there is no leak, 100% certain. I had a homemade filter on the left-hand side which was spraying up onto the hood and dripping down the left side (we can see the calcium marks). It has seeped between the glass and the plastic frame around the bottom, spilling from there in the H-shape of the frame. There is no actual leak. We never saw that kind of water spillage before the homemade filter was installed.

The main solution here will be to reduce the height of the homemade filter.

I feel confident now that we will be all right. Just as well because our Dojo is absolutely determined to commit suicide by jumping out of the storage bin we have her in!

Thanks for the help, guys.

More
07 Nov 2012 01:20 #9 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
no bother hope it works out

More
07 Nov 2012 01:24 #10 by belueberry (E I)
I hope so too lol :D

More
07 Nov 2012 23:59 #11 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
You could always remove the new silicone and replace it with non-fungicidal silicone for peace of mind.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds