Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Emergency - need tank resealed

More
13 Nov 2012 20:15 #1 by belueberry (E I)
Well our tank definitely IS leaking this time. I haven't got the equipment or skills to seal it up again.

Is there anyone on here in the north Dublin area who can do it? Is it even worth resealing? Should I just replace it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2012 20:52 #2 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Is the tank damged in any way? If not I would definently reseal it unless you were planning on changing it anyway.

It actually is not that hard to do, if you search youtube there should be plenty of step by step videos on how to do it which probably are easier to follow then written text.

If you don't want to do it yourself it could be worth calling some of the sponsors and see if they will do it for you.

Melander

More
13 Nov 2012 21:17 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)
no offence but i can see and have heard of sponsors charging alot to reseal tanks or saying its just not worth it so just replace it :ohmy: ....

what size tank is it?.. may be definately worth doing or maybe someone that wouldn't mind the challenge could do an exchange if they had a good 1 around... i'd reseal it for ye but i'm in kildare but 1 word of advise look around before paying 20e for 1 silicone tube from sponsors :crazy:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
13 Nov 2012 21:23 #4 by belueberry (E I)
I've had a look on Youtube as suggested and it's much simpler than I had anticipated. I thought I was going to have to take the panels apart. Didn't realise it was as simple as stripping off the old internal seals and applying new ones. I'm going to have a go at it tomorrow myself. It's not that big, 110L.

So I'm going to need silicone - is it Tec 7 that I'm looking for? Any other brands that would work if I can't get that? I know it needs to be free from antifungal stuff but silicones vary in flexibility so I'd like to know what the most suitable ones are.

Do I need acetone, rubbing alcohol, etc? Anything I should avoid?

More
13 Nov 2012 21:32 - 13 Nov 2012 21:33 #5 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
I use aquarium silicone (from a LFS) but perhaps there are cheaper options out there?

I also use aceton to clean the surface, some masking tape to get the edges straight and a razor blade to take off any spillage.

Just make sure to test it when it's dry before you put all the gravel and stuff back in as it took me two attempts to get it right the first time.

Good luck with the sealing!

Melander
Last edit: 13 Nov 2012 21:33 by Melander (Andreas Melander). Reason: clarification

More
13 Nov 2012 21:42 - 13 Nov 2012 21:45 #6 by davey_c (dave clarke)
i have a tube of aquarium silicone if ye want for 10e?

i also use rubbing alcohol for cleaning the glass but i also have some acetone if ye need some

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

Last edit: 13 Nov 2012 21:45 by davey_c (dave clarke).

More
13 Nov 2012 21:43 - 13 Nov 2012 21:46 #7 by davey_c (dave clarke)
sorry forgot you were in north dublin :pinch:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

Last edit: 13 Nov 2012 21:46 by davey_c (dave clarke).

More
13 Nov 2012 23:06 #8 by belueberry (E I)
Stripping back the old seals, I'm finding it impossible to get it all off. I'm using a Stanley knife blade but it still leaves a thin layer of silicone behind. How can I get it off?

More
14 Nov 2012 00:36 #9 by Cillian (Cillian Murphy)
If you go to woodies and have a look they sell some decent silicone that can be used on aquariums, wet or dry and its pretty cheap
Cillian

More
14 Nov 2012 01:47 #10 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
use a window scraper to get off the silicone, you need a clean surface to reseal of you may as well not bother doing it

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
14 Nov 2012 02:15 #11 by davey_c (dave clarke)
or you could keep using the blade but in the way you would a scraper ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
15 Nov 2012 07:36 #12 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
How did you get on with the resell?

More
15 Nov 2012 08:44 #13 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Take the blade out of the knife and use it on its own.
Theres a few types of silicone that are suitable.
Woodies have one by Geocel, glazing silicone light green on label for example.
Tec 7 is only good for patchwork, it hasnt got the same grab as silicone sealant.

More
15 Nov 2012 10:13 #14 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

I use aquarium silicone (from a LFS) but perhaps there are cheaper options out there?

I also use aceton to clean the surface, some masking tape to get the edges straight and a razor blade to take off any spillage.

Just make sure to test it when it's dry before you put all the gravel and stuff back in as it took me two attempts to get it right the first time.

Good luck with the sealing!

Melander

Good advice Melander. Don't skimp on the Acetone, helps the silicone adhere better

More
15 Nov 2012 13:11 - 15 Nov 2012 13:36 #15 by belueberry (E I)
I couldn't get acetone. Woodies didn't have it in stock, so they said. In its absence, it took me two nights to strip back the old silicone. Very very heavy going, especially removing the residue. I might have been much too fussy in wanting every last little smudge gone but I thought it better to be safe than sorry. I have not had the time to re-seal yet. The fish are in temporary accommodation until then.

Is nail polish remover suitable? I know it contains acetone but it contains a whole lot of other things too. Edit: the stuff we have in the house contains an oil. That's definitely out...
Last edit: 15 Nov 2012 13:36 by belueberry (E I).

More
15 Nov 2012 13:54 - 15 Nov 2012 13:55 #16 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)

Is nail polish remover suitable? I know it contains acetone but it contains a whole lot of other things too. Edit: the stuff we have in the house contains an oil. That's definitely out...

Just reading that I think I remember my girlfriend getting acetone in the pharmacy. She got it to remove her nail polish but it was not a branded nail polish remover or anything like that but a fairly big bottle with Acetone written on the front (as if it was pure acetone if that makes sense). Someone else may be able to confirm if this is ok to use or not but may help.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2012 13:55 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe).

More
15 Nov 2012 13:57 #17 by belueberry (E I)
100% acetone is used in nail salons to remove certain kinds of false nails so it's got to be available, at least in industrial quantities. I will have to pop down to the local pharmacies around here this afternoon and see if I can get a small bottle which contains no additives. No use in buying litres and litres of the stuff.

More
15 Nov 2012 15:30 #18 by davey_c (dave clarke)
i tried nail varnish remover and its not strong enough, i don't think you'll get 100% acetone in a pharmacy (although i could be wrong) but an alternative is 70% rubbing alcohol which i used and ye might have more of a chance getting it in pharmacy because its used for cleaning wounds.

here's where i get my acetone which also sell the alcohol, assume its safe to post this considering sponsors won't stock it :lol:
stores.ebay.ie/AS-Composites-Ireland/Che...trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
15 Nov 2012 16:21 - 15 Nov 2012 16:21 #19 by belueberry (E I)
Turns out they do stock it at pharmacies. There is big demand for it apparently for the shellac nails. I had to order it as it was sold out but it'll arrive tomorrow so I'll be able to get on with the job tomorrow night. Just as well because keeping these fish in the smaller temporary tank, even with 3 filters, is not satisfactory and my nitrate has shot up.

Again, thanks all for the advice. :)
Last edit: 15 Nov 2012 16:21 by belueberry (E I).

More
15 Nov 2012 16:48 #20 by davey_c (dave clarke)
cool, ye learn something new everyday and a handy source for it for other members in need :)

just a small sugestion as i don't know circumstances but more frequent and larger water changes (at least once a day) will reduce your nitrates and keep them down B)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2012 16:55 - 15 Nov 2012 16:57 #21 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Emergency - need tank resealed

Stripping back the old seals, I'm finding it impossible to get it all off. I'm using a Stanley knife blade but it still leaves a thin layer of silicone behind. How can I get it off?

I dont know where you are on the resealing but if you want I can post this to you. It isn't expensive and the postage won't be expensive either.

www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=204&SubcatID=27

Another, probably better link.
item.mobileweb.ebay.ie/viewitem?itemId=271062762754
Kev.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2012 16:57 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
15 Nov 2012 17:07 #22 by davey_c (dave clarke)
you can buy silicone remover in an decent hardware/builders providers over here but worth a mention, well spotted B)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2012 17:27 #23 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Emergency - need tank resealed
Here is a link to a Store in Ireland, scroll right down to the bottom of the page.

prolinehardware.ie/interface/archives/category/quilosa

Kev

More
15 Nov 2012 18:09 - 15 Nov 2012 18:17 #24 by belueberry (E I)
Thanks for the silicone remover link. I had that option when I bought the silicone itself but the guy in Woodies said he had no idea whether it would be fish safe, and actually that he doubted it because of how potent it was. I decided it wasn't worth the risk. I guess I could have bought it after all...oh well! I'll know for next time. The window scraper (eventually) did the job!

With an 18 month old child running around here there is no way I have time for daily water changes but they are definitely going to need more frequent ones than they usually have. It's their regular water change day tomorrow though so they'll have a 90% freshening up then anyway.

Yet again, thanks all! B)
Last edit: 15 Nov 2012 18:17 by belueberry (E I).

More
15 Nov 2012 19:32 #25 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)

Turns out they do stock it at pharmacies. There is big demand for it apparently for the shellac nails. I had to order it as it was sold out but it'll arrive tomorrow so I'll be able to get on with the job tomorrow night. Just as well because keeping these fish in the smaller temporary tank, even with 3 filters, is not satisfactory and my nitrate has shot up.

Again, thanks all for the advice. :)

Good stuff, glad we could help. When you mentioned nail polish remover it just popped into my head seeing the missus using it. Best of luck with the reseal

More
15 Nov 2012 19:34 - 15 Nov 2012 19:35 #26 by jwm (sean sean)
I have a juwel 70 litre tank, internal filter working if ya want a lend till yer sorted.

John

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2012 19:35 by jwm (sean sean).

More
15 Nov 2012 20:56 #27 by belueberry (E I)

I have a juwel 70 litre tank, internal filter working if ya want a lend till yer sorted.

John

Ah that's very kind of you. The tank they are in at the moment is bigger than that and to be honest we've nowhere to put another tank even temporarily. Really appreciate the gesture though.

More
16 Nov 2012 20:12 #28 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Sounds like you are on the right track, let us know how you get on!

Melander

More
22 Nov 2012 23:05 #29 by belueberry (E I)
Update: Tank successfully sealed and tested, holding water, fish are going back in it tomorrow!

Any tips for bringing the glass back to its previous clear state? There is a film of silicone in some areas which makes everything a bit cloudy.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds