Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Advise on tank build

More
20 Dec 2012 22:37 #1 by seabhreach (Justin)
Guys I've had a bit of a disaster recently with my new marine tank build. Bought a 600l betta second hand and made my own stand/cabinet. Was just ready to aqua scape when disaster struck. Put the tank in an alcove beside the fireplace but the vent for the insert stove was too close and cracked the end pane. Now im stuck, could patch the glass but no point as I can't use the alcove now and nowhere else for a 5 footer. Tried selling on the forum but no bites this close to Christmas. Also breaks my heart too sell it for that price but hard to sell a cracked tank.

So now for the new plan and hopefully advise from you guys, i have space for a 3x3x2.5 foot tank which would still give me 600l. Got some prices for custom build but it's going to cost over 1k which would leave me nothing for LEDs etc. Thinking that It may be possible to reuse the glass from the 5 footer. I'd have enough glass for 3 lengths so would just Need another 3 foot piece and base. So now for the first piece of advice. Anyone no where I can source this? Also anyone know someone qualified to build the tank. Would attempt it Myself but I've an expensive wooden floor so cant risk that much water on the floor.

Also need a square sump so would need that made too.Idealy looking for someone looking to make a few quid before Christmas.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2012 23:07 #2 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
you will have to find out if the glass in the cracked tank is float or toughened glass
you wont be able to cut toughened glass
i get all my glass for tanks from tipperary glass,you wont find cheaper
give them a call as they deliver to dublin also
give it a go building it yourself in a shed or garage so you can water test the tank and sump before you bring it into the house
best of luck with the build

More
20 Dec 2012 23:18 #3 by seabhreach (Justin)
Thanks Mossy, advise much appreciated. The tank is a Betta lifespace but not sure what type of glass it is. I assume I cant mix them so would need to buy all new glass then? Ill give Tipp Glass a call tomorrow to see what it would cost. Do they sell Optiwhite, ive read a bit about it and I like the idea of no colour distortion (assuming it wont break the bank) May try it in the shed as you suggested :)

More
20 Dec 2012 23:41 #4 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
im sure they can do optiwhite glass but it very pricey
i dont think its worth it as theres not much difference in it
clear polished float glass is every bit as good
work out a cutting list and thickness of the glass you need and send louise in tipp glass an email
if you google the website aquatools and put in your measurements it will give you all the sizes and thickness of the glass you need for the tank and dont forget the bracing ;)
if you have any prob let me know and i will do up the cutting list for you

More
29 Dec 2012 22:58 #5 by seabhreach (Justin)
Hi Mossy

Hope you had a good Christmas. Thought id take you up on your offer to sanity check my cutting list before I get a quote.

Main Glass (clear polished float glass all edges polished)
2 x (74 x 92cm)
2 x (89.2 x 74cm)
1 x (92 x 92cm) Drilled with three holes for bulkheads

Bracing
3 x (6 x 89.2cm) two at edges and one perpendicular across the middle.

Does bottom of tank need bracing also? Ive seen some with side bracing along the bottom.

Weir box and Weir comb (Not sure about this one)
2 x (72x20cm)

Thanks

Justin

More
30 Dec 2012 18:52 #6 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
no prob justin
i will do out the list and pm it to you

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds