Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Any links to good glass tank building guides?

More
28 Feb 2013 15:27 #1 by derekdoom (Derek)
Hi guys

I'm new to the forums, toying with the idea of building a tank instead of paying for an expensive upgrade.
Would be looking to build a 200 litre glass. Wondering if anybody knew of any good online guides, or if there
are any useful builds detailed on these forums?

Regards

Derek

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2013 16:05 #2 by JohnH (John)
Hello and welcome Derek,
Here's a link to a very good guide to building an aquarium posted in 2011 by Colin (puddlefish). It should give you an insight as to the work involved:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/artic...bystep-tank-building

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
28 Feb 2013 21:33 #3 by blade (Michael G)
Hi Derek ,

Heres a good Forum for that kind of stuff all DIY

www.diyfishkeepers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?42-DIY-aquariums

All the best

Michael

More
01 Mar 2013 00:30 - 01 Mar 2013 00:31 #4 by derekdoom (Derek)
Thanks guys

If I don't end up going the DIY route, What I'm actually looking for is a tank somewhere between 150 and 200 litres, based on your knowledge
if one was to come up on the for sale section what region do you think it would be in price-wise?

I'm pretty new to all this, upgraded from a 70L to a 95L recently which I probably paid a little bit much for, it's only set up a week and I'm starting to realize that I need something bigger.

The price for new tanks is pretty prohibitive for me though.

Thanks
Last edit: 01 Mar 2013 00:31 by derekdoom (Derek). Reason: error

More
01 Mar 2013 00:45 - 01 Mar 2013 00:46 #5 by JohnH (John)

"The price for new tanks is pretty prohibitive for me though".

I fear you'll find the price of glass required to build 200ltr tanks is pretty heavy too.

It might be worth you looking on trading sites like adverts.ie and done deal, sometimes tanks appear quite reasonably-priced there as well.

Davey_c has some 4ft tanks offered at a pretty reasonable price and michaelO has one also, have a look at what they're offering.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2013 00:46 by JohnH (John). Reason: spelling (again)

More
01 Mar 2013 09:34 #6 by blade (Michael G)
Hi Derek ,You could also pop into seahorse aquariums, they make custom size aquariums to all sizes ,you choose glass thickness etc.. very reasonable also ,i had one made recently ,its another option for you ?

Michael

More
01 Mar 2013 10:03 #7 by derekdoom (Derek)
Great, thanks guys, will do.

Basically I have three fancy goldfish and want to add a fourth. The existing ones are only juveniles but everybody I have spoken to swears by the rule of 20 gallons for the 1st fish and 10 for each additional one, if my calculations are correct I'm currently at 25G approx (95 litres) with three so that would make me overstocked already?

And to think, people keep goldfish in bowls :)

More
01 Mar 2013 11:26 #8 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I don't know much about building a tank but I am getting my tank repared with new glass.
When I priced glass and looked for it to be fixed it would have been easier to buy a second hand tank.
Glass was aprox 30 euro for 30inc x 12 inc silicone for fish tanks is about 15 euro per tube.
I got the 6mm glass from work and I use the same silicon so I just have to pay for labour.

Something fishie going on here

More
01 Mar 2013 12:51 #9 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)
Hey Derek, there is a guy on youtube that does loads of DIY tutorials for fish stuff, including glass and acrylic aquariums. He seems to know his stuff (haven't built my own aquarium so can't comment), but he may be worth a look

www.youtube.com/user/uarujoey

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds