Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Repairing / Re-sealing a tank

More
10 Apr 2013 21:05 #1 by fishjam45 (Colin Bolton)
Hello all!!!!

Customer of mine is giving me 2 tanks, the first of which I took today to repair it.
I started filling it up outside to locate the leak and came across it pretty easily.

I took the tank out of the plastic frame that it sat into - see pic below

As the tank filled with water, the pressure increased on the joints and hey presto heres what happened

So i siphoned off the water while holding the glass corner together to stop the leak stretching all the way along the side of the tank.

So heres my question - Is it going to be easy to repair or should i just dump it?
I have a tube of Clear Tec-7 ready to rock but has anyone got any advice/hints/tips or tricks before I do it?
I wanna be able to sleep at night knowing the tanks not gonna split on me ????

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2013 21:07 - 10 Apr 2013 21:09 #2 by fishjam45 (Colin Bolton)
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Apr 2013 21:09 by fishjam45 (Colin Bolton). Reason: pics not uploading

More
10 Apr 2013 21:10 #3 by fishjam45 (Colin Bolton)
Attachments:

More
10 Apr 2013 21:15 #4 by fishjam45 (Colin Bolton)
Attachments:

More
10 Apr 2013 21:16 #5 by fishjam45 (Colin Bolton)
Attachments:

More
10 Apr 2013 21:17 #6 by fishjam45 (Colin Bolton)
Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2013 21:26 #7 by chambers (Ken Spengler)
Tec7 clear is not aquarium safe. The coloured tec 7 are aquarium safe however. The tube should display a little fish on the side if its aquarium safe, and as far as I know the clear tec 7 doesn't.

I would rather suggest in getting a tube of aquarium safe silicone rather than tec 7. Seahorse sells it for around 20 euro per tube. I've used silicone and tec 7 and the silicone certainly gives a better bond to glass which is under constant pressure.

Your tank should be easy enough to fix, but preparation is the key. Clean all joints of old silicone with a sharp blade, and make sure all residue is gone before applying new silicone. Should be a breeze. Use masking tape to tape your joints as silicone tends to get everywhere.

Hope that helps somewhat.

More
12 Apr 2013 21:42 #8 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Howye if you cut and peel out the the silicone on the leaking side clean and dry it

start the reseal from the inside pushing it tight to the corner that it comes out threw the outside dont worry how it look outside when it drys it can be made smooth and straight with a new stanley blade
dont worry about the inside till the silicone between the glass is hard id wait till the next day and it will be sealed (but not very strong)

then get a nice tidy line on the inside

to be a 100% sure i would `and did when i did mine' add a glass brace 3" wide and around 5mm thick in the middle of tank, most glazers would not charge you for a piece like this as they bin bigger bits in waste just tell them youll pass on their generosity and to consider them when looking for glass blah blah ye know urself

here is my attempt to show you in a pic

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2013 21:46 #9 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
little thing i forgot dont put the brace on the top leave room for a lid so come down a few mil on the inside if ye get me

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
13 Apr 2013 10:52 #10 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
my suggestion would be to take that panel off completely, clean off all residue of the silicone and re-do that panel. when the silicone has cured, using a sharp blade remove all the internal seals from every joint (leaving the silicone between the panes of glass - ie the silicone holding the tank together) clean all the residue from the surfaces, using masking tape mask up along all the joints for a clean finish and then reseal the whole tank in one go. i recently did this with my own tank, one of the ends was cracked so it had to be replaced. so far so good its holding water and holding together nice and strong.

p.s i used aquarium silicone myself.

just my thoughts on it mate.
Wayne

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds