Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Need advice

More
01 Jul 2013 22:57 - 01 Jul 2013 22:58 #1 by daboogie (Nikita)
I have vision 180, looking to get bigger tank, but not too big, so i stopped at 3 tanks, vision 260, rio 240, or trigon 350. From your point of view what will be advantages and disadvantages of each type? Never used trigon. And i find vision bit too hard to clean on front glass.
Thanks
Tank will be used as main tank not for breeding ext.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2013 22:58 by daboogie (Nikita).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2013 06:54 #2 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Replied by wylam (Stuart Sexton) on topic Need advice
For me space is a big factor and i have been pushing the wife to let me have a trigon 350, she thinks the 190 will be big enough but she has no idea about size so i bet i'll sneak in a 350 without her even realising it lol.And once you take out the ugly , noisy and bulky filter unit they can be made into a lovely tank.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
02 Jul 2013 07:49 #3 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
If you have trouble with the curved glass on the vision won't the trigon give you similar issue? I think a trigon 350 would be nice if you have a suitable corner and it is a great use of space

More
02 Jul 2013 12:19 #4 by jwm (sean sean)
Replied by jwm (sean sean) on topic Need advice
I had a trigon 350, lovely looking tank i found it very hard to keep clean and i used it bare bottom with FX5 filter in it. Practice swinging from a height you will need very long arms to clean the deepest part o the tank.

John

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
02 Jul 2013 15:56 #5 by daboogie (Nikita)
Replied by daboogie (Nikita) on topic Need advice
i see, yea i measured space trigon is really big tank with low space use. I have no issue with my missis about space :)

More
02 Jul 2013 17:14 #6 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Good to have the missus on side is great, keeping them on side when an external filter starts leaking is the tricky part :)

More
02 Jul 2013 19:28 #7 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
I'd go with the vision 260 any day over the others..240 will only give u an extra 60l which ruled it out for me(had same choice when I was upgrading). 260 will give you 80l which is almost 50% increase in volume. The trigons are hard to clean given shape...my take for what it's worth..

More
02 Jul 2013 19:56 - 02 Jul 2013 19:58 #8 by daboogie (Nikita)
So basicly its rio 300 or 260 vision best option for upgrade. Only reason i was looking at trigon is large volume, comparing to space. I will take on experience of others.
Thanks for replay`s!
Last edit: 02 Jul 2013 19:58 by daboogie (Nikita).

More
02 Jul 2013 20:06 #9 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
No worries...let us know how you get on!

More
02 Jul 2013 20:06 - 02 Jul 2013 20:09 #10 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
I am not a fan of curved fronted aquariums. I had a vision 450 and turned it back to front, so the curve was at the back. Gave a nice sense of depth.
Have a look at the MP range from Eheim, or the New Clearseal range, way better finish and build than Juwel.
God I hate the plastic flaps on Juwel. On the MP the flaps are aluminium, so much better.
Another thing I dislike about Juwel is that the JuwelT5 light tubes are so much more expensive than standard T5s to replace, if the light unit does not fail first!!!
MP use standard tubes, and with Clearseal you supply your own choice of lighting.
There are other brands available, Seahore and Artaine both have a good range in stock.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2013 20:09 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph). Reason: Add word

More
02 Jul 2013 20:16 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I am not a fan of curved fronted aquariums. I had a vision 450 and turned it back to front, so the curve was at the back. Gave a nice sense of depth.

must be a bugger to get anything out of the cabinet though! :crazy: :woohoo:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 Jul 2013 20:26 #12 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic Need advice
Have a Triton 190 and 350
Personally don't find them hard to clean at all! They are good distance viewing tanks but if up close they can be troublesome and hard to view properly!
Both fantastic tanks, both compact but large capacity! Would recommend them all day long!
Biggest drawback to the trigon IMO is probably the shape, so flow can be an issue

More
02 Jul 2013 20:38 #13 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Should have expected that LemonJelly!
Turned the top and base of the cabinet around and moved the doors, well a mate did it for me. And sealed the two vents for cables etc on it with a strip of that iron on wood finish. That's what cabinet maker friends are for!

More
02 Jul 2013 20:47 #14 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
yeah, it always pays to know a guy... or know a guy who knows a guy...

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 Jul 2013 21:06 #15 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Or knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy

More
02 Jul 2013 22:39 #16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
yeah, but if he knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy whose brother-in-law's sister used to date a guy who worked for a guy who made cabinets... I wouldn't risk it...

More
02 Jul 2013 22:46 #17 by theangryman (chris)
Replied by theangryman (chris) on topic Need advice
I have the Trigon 350 for about 18 months now and find it a great tank, as said above having the proper location is a big plus for this tank. Cleaniong can be a problem but nothing major and I for one like the curved front, small footprint with big volume and a great addition to the room (imo :cheer: )

Chris

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

More
03 Jul 2013 00:02 - 03 Jul 2013 00:16 #18 by daboogie (Nikita)
I already had an issue with juwel light unit, it`s true they fail alot, 1st problem is position inside a plastic cover, it`s located on bottom, what makes condinsate inside build up on bottom of cover and make a shortcircuit on light unit,because no air circulation inside. Well what happend in my case, when i opened a box and removed around 3 shots of water and control unit, i got new unit from RS radionics, around 5 eur, could be more don`t remember, i put it on top part of plastic cover (inside cover) and drilled 2 holes 6 mm on each side on top of the cover for air circulation, put a cut piece back with hot glue, so far no problems. If someone need help how i did it, more detailed, i can take pictures.
P.S. I don`t know why but i love design of juwel, i looked at different tanks, but juwel stand out for me.
Thanks everybody !
I will let u know what i got.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2013 00:16 by daboogie (Nikita).

More
13 Jul 2013 07:41 #19 by daboogie (Nikita)
Finally i didn`t find tank in darkwood, so i went for new vision 260 in seahorse on offer with free cabinet.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds