Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Uneven-ness>?

More
04 Jul 2013 23:56 - 05 Jul 2013 00:12 #1 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Ok lads, Ive seen a lot of this topic online and am still unsure,
But I want to know your views and opinions,

I have a Juwel Vision 260 and its full, The problem that's worrying me is on the left hand side the water level is about 1/2 Inch lower than the right,
The floor underneath is wood and under neat that, solid concrete.. and I did see online that 'wooden shims' would solve the problem but id like your views on this, please Oh great Ones :)..

Cheers,

Stephen M.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-
Last edit: 05 Jul 2013 00:12 by Stem12 (Stephen M).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2013 09:29 #2 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Replied by davey_c (dave clarke) on topic Uneven-ness>?
My tanks were always off level and never had a problem, just don't put insulation under the tank and expect that to eradicate the problem as often suggested.... doesn't work like that, but anyways yes you would need to pack up the cabinate. Ye might need to partly drain the tank so you can raise the whole lot where needed. If you don't have a level you could measure same distance up (or down) on both ends for reference.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
05 Jul 2013 09:48 #3 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
Replied by dannyb (Daniel Byrne) on topic Uneven-ness>?
i have the same tank as your self and only just noticed its off level not as much as yours only a few mm, i would get a bit of 1/2 and cut 2 blocks out make them a bit bigger than the feet of the cabinet and try get them under it some how

More
05 Jul 2013 09:49 #4 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Uneven-ness>?
The only safe way I can think of doing this without causing excess strain on the cabinet it to place adjustable feet to the bottom of the furniture, that way, it could be levelled by adjusting the Feet by turning them.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
06 Jul 2013 12:00 #5 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Replied by Stem12 (Stephen M) on topic Uneven-ness>?
Thanks lads, i'll looks into that next week when I get some days off :)

Cheers,

Stephen M.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
06 Jul 2013 13:27 #6 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Replied by wylam (Stuart Sexton) on topic Uneven-ness>?
I think you might have a weight issue. A half inch off level on that size tank is a fair amount.If the wooden floor under your tank can't hold the weight of the water you might have more of a job than just packing the tank level.

Davey said his tanks are always off level and he's never had a problem. But with the stress the glass is under (24/7) it might take only a slight knock or vibration to surpass the safety margins on the tank.

If it were me i'd pull the tank out of there , and check the wooden floor to see if it has given way.If it has then packing the tank level will do nothing for you because in a few weeks she'll be off level again.Best advice i can give is to get a piece of 3/4 inch plywood cut it to suit the bottom of your cabinet, and sit the whole lot on top.This way the weight of the tank+water will be spread evenly between the entire area of the tank (not just the 4 plastic feet on the cabinet).

This might seem like over kill but its a lot less work than the clean up job if the tank breaks.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
06 Jul 2013 15:43 #7 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Replied by davey_c (dave clarke) on topic Uneven-ness>?
I wouldn't say the floor is the problem because having concrete under the wooden floor would indicate to me that its either a laminate or semi-solid floor layed straight on top of the concrete floor. There would be no need to spread the weight unless there were joists under the wooden floor.
I do agree though on a knock off possibly affecting the tank but that also could eventually weaken the structural integrity of the tank.... in saying that I'd love to see an engineers report confirming all these claims :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds