Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Help With Setup Juwel Vision 180 Litre

More
07 Jul 2013 21:58 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Got myslef a Juwel Vision 180 Litre i am not sure if i should do a community tank and use all the fish from my 110L tank or to do another african setup. what do you think i have to get filters and a heator. if anyone has any suggestions on what i should do with the setup please tell me. did anyone ever use vinal wrap the wrap looks a bot worn in places and could i change it from this colour to black ?

Something fishie going on here

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2013 22:46 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I think it'd be too small for a Malawi set-up, but you could maybe set it up for smaller Tanganyikan cichlids. or a huge shellie tank :woohoo:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
07 Jul 2013 22:50 #3 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
oscar and jack dempsey were on our mind i like something different this time what filter should i go for ?
and whats the story with the light bulbs on these they seem a odd size

More
07 Jul 2013 23:10 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Far far too small for my old buddies the oscars..... I wouldnt keep them in anything less than 400litres in all honesty
Have a look at dwarf cichlids like rams etc
Maybe for a change of scenery go for brackish setup with some nice estuary species
Filter wise id looking ok at anything external that can cycle your entire tank contents 5 - 10 times an hour (depending on what you decide to keep and how many fishyou put in it)
Have to admit, im lookin forward to getting my hands on a couple of figure 8 and green spotted puffers.... lots of personality and very inquisitive traits with them

Move outside your comfort zone and enjoy some additional variety

More
07 Jul 2013 23:12 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
definitely too small for an Oscar or a JD. Oscars in particular grow massive. I have a my 180 done up as a planted community tank, running a JBL crystalprofi e901 on it. seems to do the job thought you could go higher, like a e1501

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
08 Jul 2013 09:43 - 08 Jul 2013 09:44 #6 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
you should go black background , looks the best by far .. once you go black you wont go back

If it was me i would do an Amazonian type setup .. dwarf ciclids , tetras and corys
Last edit: 08 Jul 2013 09:44 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath).

More
08 Jul 2013 11:22 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

you should go black background , looks the best by far .. once you go black you wont go back

If it was me i would do an Amazonian type setup .. dwarf ciclids , tetras and corys

I like this idea what fish and what wood should I look out for?
Should I try some real plants ?

More
08 Jul 2013 11:35 #8 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

I like this idea what fish and what wood should I look out for?
Should I try some real plants ?

personally I haven't been great with real plants , it is more work ( people say its not , but it is ) and i haven't really the time . But that's up to you of course ..

Man you can do loads of different fish , I really like some of the apisto dwarf cichlids around at the moment .. A harem seems to be good with them .. Loads of great tetras ... in a tank that size you could have a nice bunch of rummys or embers etc etc .. corys , again loads of really nice ones ..

maybe a bunch of dwarf neon rainbows ( not Amazonian , but good schoolers and all round tank roamers )

get a nice big rooty branch for the middle maybe .. Loads of options really

More
08 Jul 2013 14:28 #9 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
If you have not done plants before I think you should try them. They look great and the fish seem to like them. I have had very few issues with growing plants and they don't create a lot more work.

My one issue is algae as the plants need plenty of light which is obviously good for algae but this is generally sorted by having some plants with fast growth, they out compete the algae for nutrients.

There ia also lots of types of Anubias and they grow slowly but seem to be pretty indestructible, I have some in my goldfish tank with daylight only and it is looking healthy and has new growth.

Don't forget lots of updates so we can share the new tank excitement.

Enjoy
Dec

More
09 Jul 2013 09:58 #10 by paulv (paul vickers)
ive 4 oscars in a 1000l tank so they are a non starter in a 180l. think about a planted rainbow fish tank with cory cats on the bottom. they are all easy to keep and an interesting fish to keep color up on, non aggressive unlike the rams.

More
09 Jul 2013 11:31 #11 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Thanks for all the help keep the advice coming
I have a bit of a set back on my pond so it will be another week
Before I do a setup on the 180L tank
Back to the Oscar and Jd if they are got from a very young age could I raise one or two
And maybe again then I will have a bigger tank

More
09 Jul 2013 12:10 #12 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
you could go for a mid-sized cichlid, something like a salvini

More
09 Jul 2013 12:40 #13 by Shane (Shane Faulkner)
Was thinking of doing an oscar tank down the line my self so keep a update if ya go oscar

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds