Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Rekord 800 lights.

More
09 Jul 2013 20:07 #1 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Hi guys.

I noticed to day that the lights on my juwel Rekord 800 were not working. When turned on they light up for about 30 seconds and then die. Can this be fixed or do i need a new light unit?

Cheers Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2013 21:13 #2 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Do they flicker at all when their on? Could be the starter if they do... or it could be the ballast over heating.
How old is the bulb?

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
09 Jul 2013 23:05 - 09 Jul 2013 23:21 #3 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
If the lights only stay on for a few seconds, it sounds like Juwel disease, many Juwel light units get this, the older t8 units more so than the t5 units.
Sometimes this is caused by water seeping into the units. The rubber seals on the caps could be the cause. Take off the light tubes, and tilt the unit vertically. If water drips out, you have the problem. A few days in a hotpress can sort it.
Juwel recommend changing the caps each year, for this reason, but not many people do.
Some of the units were made in the PRC and not Germany, it seems that these are the units that fail most often.
There are some posts on forums about repairing the units, but You need to have a good grasp of electronics, which I don't.
Here is a link originally posted by puddlefish
www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/artic...uwel-lights-problems
Last edit: 09 Jul 2013 23:21 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph). Reason: Add links

More
09 Jul 2013 23:55 #4 by davey_c (dave clarke)

A few days in a hotpress can sort it.

Or 1 day in the sun this weather :lol:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
10 Jul 2013 17:21 #5 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
the entire set up is only a year old all origional juwel light bulbs and balast.It does not filcker at all jst comes on and stays on for 20-30 seconds then fades to nothing. i checked all seals and everything seems to be in good shape.

Stuart.

More
10 Jul 2013 19:31 #6 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Thanks for that link crusty, its very helpfull. I'll take a few pictures as i go and stick em up here if it all works out .

Stuart.

More
10 Jul 2013 20:46 #7 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Ok I had a look at it a bit closer tonight and one of the lights doesn't seem to be starting properly.

Question 1, do both lights need to be working for the unit to light?

Question 2, should i upgrade my bulbs to a better bulb?

Question 3, should i scrap the unit and buy some LED's instead?

Cheers Stuart.

More
10 Jul 2013 21:25 #8 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
I am not 100% sure, but I think they work in tandem, so if one bulb does not work, then the other wont. It should say so on the ballast.
At a year old, they should still be under warranty.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds