Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

diy plywood tank

More
09 Aug 2013 17:21 #31 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
The tank looks very nice!

If your building a new rack for this one (to hold other tanks too?), will you build more tanks like this to match?

Andreas

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2013 22:18 #32 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
cheers Andreas, yep i think i will be building another tank, i have a sheet and a half of 18mm ply left and another pane of glass, maybe not as big as this one but thinking about a 52x24x15

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
09 Aug 2013 23:29 #33 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
ok i just checked 11 hours still no leaks so good to go for rack build i think, popped a light over it and stuck in some wood just to see what it will look like when finished and installed, must say i'm happy, what do you think...

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
10 Aug 2013 00:20 #34 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic diy plywood tank
Jasus man that is just savage now you have me thinking, thank God she is asleep, she would know I have my thinking hat On, absolutely brilliant can't wait to see more

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
10 Aug 2013 21:12 #35 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
ok well it has held water successfully for 36 hours so i think i'm safe, have it drained now, slimline background to go in next, then bogwood and substrate, build a rack and i'm done.... phew i'm tired thinking about it ;)

More
10 Aug 2013 22:09 #36 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
looks awsome mate :)

well done :D

More
10 Aug 2013 22:11 #37 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

looks awsome mate :)

well done :D

cheers Darkslice, didnt think i could do it but i did :P so if i can anyone can.....seriously

More
10 Aug 2013 22:12 #38 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
wow... that's widescreen fishkeeping

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
10 Aug 2013 22:14 - 10 Aug 2013 22:14 #39 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

only 51" wide internally :woohoo: 52" outside dimensions

Last edit: 10 Aug 2013 22:14 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie). Reason: adding

More
10 Aug 2013 22:18 #40 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

only 51" wide internally :woohoo: 52" outside dimensions

like an inch matters!

:whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
10 Aug 2013 23:36 #41 by theangryman (chris)
Fair play to ya, great job and great lookin tank, something I always wanted to try and now you`ve re-kindled the desire

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

More
11 Aug 2013 19:09 #42 by k.galvin (Kieran Galvin)
Nice looking tank Shea, was thinking about trying this myself at some stage.

More
11 Aug 2013 21:35 #43 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
@ theangryman & k.galvin, believe me if i can do it anyone can.... by no stretch of the imagination would i call myself good at carpentry.... so really get stuck into it... its not that hard

More
12 Aug 2013 11:43 #44 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Fair play to ye shea ye done a lovely job on it and them roots look the biz pal, can't wait to see it fully stocked now B)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
12 Aug 2013 16:59 #45 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
The more I look at the pictures the more I think that it actually looks better than most pre-made tanks, sort of reminds me of public aquarium tanks.

It would look great to have theme like this for all tanks in a fish room instead of the usual mish mash of makes and models.

As many of us paint the sides of our tanks anyway you don't really miss much anyway.

Andreas

More
12 Aug 2013 22:30 #46 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

The more I look at the pictures the more I think that it actually looks better than most pre-made tanks, sort of reminds me of public aquarium tanks.

It would look great to have theme like this for all tanks in a fish room instead of the usual mish mash of makes and models.

As many of us paint the sides of our tanks anyway you don't really miss much anyway.

Andreas

ah come on Andreas, its not that good, but thanks for the vote of confidence :crazy:

More
12 Aug 2013 22:32 #47 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

Fair play to ye shea ye done a lovely job on it and them roots look the biz pal, can't wait to see it fully stocked now B)

nearly there Daveyc background will be in by the weekend and hopefully the stand built, i have filters matured with about 400l of water matured as well so hopefully will be a fast transition for my fish

More
13 Aug 2013 11:46 #48 by Melander (Andreas Melander)

Andreas

ah come on Andreas, its not that good, but thanks for the vote of confidence :crazy:

It is very good but maybe I got a bit carried away, I suddenly pictured a massive hangar filled with these tanks, amazing fish and free cookies for everyone.

Wonder what was in that coffee…

Andreas

More
13 Aug 2013 12:19 #49 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic diy plywood tank
Looks great shea, good job

More
13 Aug 2013 17:30 #50 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

Andreas

It is very good but maybe I got a bit carried away, I suddenly pictured a massive hangar filled with these tanks, amazing fish and free cookies for everyone.

Wonder what was in that coffee…

Andreas

Irish Coffee??? Baileys Coffee??? Russian Coffee??? Calypso Coffee or all of the above ;)

More
14 Aug 2013 16:22 #51 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Hey Shea, that's a fabulous piece of work, fair play to you!!

More
14 Aug 2013 16:30 #52 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
cheers christy i'm quite happy about it since its my first attempt.... might just try some more plywood tanks

More
14 Nov 2013 19:49 #53 by Mr B (C B)
Replied by Mr B (C B) on topic diy plywood tank
That's one super build. I know what it's like to sweat that first fill and to make it to day three with no leaks. Great project, hope you'll post photos of her up and running. Well done.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds