Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

type and thickness of glass to build aquarium

More
26 Dec 2013 14:06 #1 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Hello
As a project i'd like build a small custom tank. 50x50x50 cm (130L) for a friend's kid.

Since i need to order the glass i need to know:

1. What type of glass should it be made off?
2. What thickness
3 On a more general question and more to satisfy my curiosity I believe i read a thread about a tank build and if i remember correctly two different types of glass were used on the same tank: is that possible?
4. will a tank size affect the choice of glass (type)?

Finally, any recommendations of places/businesses supplying pre-cut glass in Dublin?

thank you very much

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2013 17:45 #2 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Check theaquatools.com website your enter the tanks dimensions and it do the calcul for you.
I think most of the guys buy the glass from tipperary glass.
No need to spend extra for optiwhite for a kid.

Anthony

More
28 Dec 2013 13:21 #3 by Redser (Richard)
Hi,
I'm still a newbie here but I have done a lot of research into DIY tank build recently as I'm about to build one for myself. This is a small tank so you don't have too many possible problems to contemplate (yeah there is a long list)

Q1. type of glass - normal density glass is what is normally used. Ask for the edges to be polished for safety (both in build and in normal use when finished)

Q2. Thickness - for your size 5mm glass would suffice but should have bracing, you would get away without bracing if you use 6mm glass.

Q3. Types of glass - yeah some advise toughened glass on large tank base if putting in lots of rocks in aquascapes (such as cichlid tanks etc.) or as mentioned optiwhite for clarity for exhibition tanks.

Q4. Tank size / type - I would say not really just the thickness needs to be carefully thought out to make sure it will safely withstand the water pressure.

Just remember 3 of your glass sheets will be 50cm x 50cm and the 2 sides will be 50cm x 49cm if using 5mm glass or 50cm x 48.8cm if using 6mm glass.

P.S. the 50cm x 50cm x 50cm I calculate as being 125 liter but hey I'm not always right!

Hope this helps!

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds