Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Scratched Glass - how to get rid of scratches.

More
23 Jan 2014 20:52 #1 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Hi guys. Any suggestion as to how I can get a few scratches out of the glass at the front of my tank. I've tried toothpaste, light car scratch remover, aquasol, and just done know what next. The scratches are only about 5 inches in length but I can only see them and nothing else at this point. Driving me mad!

They don't seem to be too deep but I can feel them with my finger nail.....I guess they need to be buffed out so what should I use?

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2014 04:39 - 24 Jan 2014 04:40 #2 by Inza (philippe launois)
Hi Gonefishy !
I might have THE solution for you, it is a bit of work but works perfectly !

I had the same problem a couple month ago, i was cleaning my "new" tank and some gravel got into the sponge, that scratched my glass :(

Very sad, as the scratch was about 10cm long and very visible, i searched on-line to find a solution. By the way the toothpaste trick is just nonsense, you'd have to polish for days before beginning to see any difference... so is salt...

But i finally discover what you need, and it is called cerium oxide !
After watching a lot of video on youtube and all i decided to give it a go. I do not know if i can post a link of the companies that sell this stuff in Ireland, but i'll send it to you.

To prove that it works, i'll post some pictures.
I originally wanted to post it in the diy section but never got the chance to... silly me...

That product come as:
3 pad of different roughness,
1 bottle of cerium oxide mix
1 spray bottle
2 pad for the power drill
1 power drill adaptor
all for around 20€ if i remember correctly

Ok this is the original scratch...
File Attachment:

now i used the first pad, it looks scary i know but wait ! (used about 5 min)
File Attachment:

now 2nd patch (used about 5 min as well)
File Attachment:

ok now the finer patch, took around 10 min
File Attachment:

That is where it get intensive work, polishing with the cerium oxide took me around 1h30-2h.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

took me an other 30 min just to polish everything nice and well and now that the tank is running you would see a brand new glass.

All for 20 bucks and around 4h works (still... :lol: ) i think it is well worth it.
The only down side to it is that you need to have a power drill and basically be up side down in your tank to put enough pressure on the glass. Mind also that the friction will heat the glass and that you have to let it cool to avoid any cracks...

Hope that helps you, and others !

Inza.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2014 04:40 by Inza (philippe launois).

More
24 Jan 2014 18:26 - 15 Jan 2015 00:15 #3 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Hi Inza. This is just fantastic and I'm def going to give it a go! My scratch is on the outside of the glass so do you think that I have to empty the water below the level at which the scratch is at or do you think it makes any difference having water in the tank? I don't like the idea of cracking the glass I have to say as that would truly screw me up! I'll have a look at the link you sent me through....does it all come as a set? Cheers. Brian
Last edit: 15 Jan 2015 00:15 by JohnH (John). Reason: Removed duplicated post.

More
24 Jan 2014 18:32 #4 by Homer (Kevin)
Brilliant , brilliant stuff Inza, thanks so much!!

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
24 Jan 2014 19:29 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Having water in the tank would help to keep the heat down! Keep rpm low and take regular breaks when your doing it!

More
25 Jan 2014 01:45 - 25 Jan 2014 01:46 #6 by Inza (philippe launois)
Hi guys !
very happy i could help !
I think hammie is right, having water in the tank would keep the glass cool for longer. As for rpm, it is recommended to use at least a 2000rpm drill. But i would not do it if you have fishes in it as a believe the vibration and noise would stress the fishes !

And yes, this come as a set, all for less than 20€ if i remember correctly. The guys at the shop can even lend you a machine and all the stuff depending what needs you have. They told me about someone who bought a bit up tank for near to nothing because of the amount of scratches in had on, and rent the machine and all for less than 150€. It took him 3 day to get everything like new.
If you have any issues, questions, the lads are very, very helpful ! Hell they even called me and guided me to there shop as i got lost going there !

As i do not know if i can post the link to their website on the forum, i just tell you guys to type glass polish Ireland on google and to follow the first Irish address that pop out !

hope that helps !

Inza.

By the way, A few of our sponsors told me to change the glass, leave the scratch or even get rid of the tank and by a new one... That product stick it up to those guys !
Last edit: 25 Jan 2014 01:46 by Inza (philippe launois).

More
25 Jan 2014 08:42 #7 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

Hi guys !
I think hammie is right, having water in the tank would keep the glass cool for longer. As for rpm, it is recommended to use at least a 2000rpm drill. But i would not do it if you have fishes in it as a believe the vibration and noise would stress the fishes !

And yes, this come as a set, all for less than 20€ if i remember correctly. The guys at the shop can even lend you a machine and all the stuff depending what needs you have. They told me about someone who bought a bit up tank for near to nothing because of the amount of scratches in had on, and rent the machine and all for less than 150€. It took him 3 day to get everything like new.
If you have any issues, questions, the lads are very, very helpful ! Hell they even called me and guided me to there shop as i got lost going there !

As i do not know if i can post the link to their website on the forum, i just tell you guys to type glass polish Ireland on google and to follow the first Irish address that pop out !

hope that helps !

Inza.

By the way, A few of our sponsors told me to change the glass, leave the scratch or even get rid of the tank and by a new one... That product stick it up to those guys !

This is a really great thread Inza and thank you for taking the time to upload before and afters and for describing in detail how easy this appears. I don't think there are many of us that don't have some scratch or other on our tank and this seems like a great solution. I can't wait to get stuck in.....will let you know how I get on....thanks. Brian

More
13 Jun 2014 15:33 #8 by meleftone (Kevin Usher)
Gonefishy - Did you ever go ahead with this and if so how did you get on?

More
16 Jun 2014 18:35 #9 by ger310 (Ger .)

Gonefishy - Did you ever go ahead with this and if so how did you get on?

Sorry i know you asked Gonefishy this but i'll throw in my pennies worth...........I've used this stuff on scratched glass to great success.........i used it on a lightly scratched glass tank shortly after reading inza's very well illustrated post and it worked a dream :)........A lot easier than i thought it would be and it took me about 3 hours altogether but that was doing it at a very leisurely pace :whistle:

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
16 Jun 2014 23:19 #10 by meleftone (Kevin Usher)
Thanks for the reply Ger

More
14 Jan 2015 22:34 #11 by Fairybubbles (Daniel oconnell)
Inza I have sent you a pm
regards
Danny

More
12 Feb 2015 11:43 #12 by JohnH (John)

Hi guys !

hope that helps !

Inza.

Inza - sorry for not responding to this before, but since it isn't any items which Forum Sponsors would be likely to stock then it's fine to post a link to the website concerned. (No conflict of interest).

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds