Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Raising light unit. advice needed

More
26 Feb 2014 18:10 - 26 Feb 2014 18:25 #1 by Lauris (Lauris)
Hi fish and plant ppl.
Advice needed please.
I have a lil 30L tank with open top.
I have one light unit at the moment but other one is on its way.
Both of them have extendable brackets and the units are only in 0.65cm over the top of the surface when placed.. I would like to raise them both for about 10-15cm over the surface. Any suggestions how? drilling holes for ballast brackets in my wall is not a solution in this case. so 2 options - kind of clips with rails to clip on sides of the tank (sounds mad for me) or rails to attach to sides of the cabinet *sounds as a best possible option ..

so my question is .. where should I look for rails? if I need to have bended ones at the top (90d'gees) to hang over my tank to hold the led units? Any good solutions/ideas/suggestions? Where to buy? How or where to do adjustments?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you

I am planted!
Last edit: 26 Feb 2014 18:25 by Lauris (Lauris).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2014 21:01 #2 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
there are a few ways to do this.

Off the top of head I know there is some sort of stand you can but that is placed behind the aquarium that can hold the lights for you. Something like this

That should do the trick.

however I dont know where you can get them in Ireland, you will probably have to order them online.

Other similar models will have the base on the floor (the are obviously longer) instead of going under the aquarium like the one above

I know they sell similar stands in seahorse but they are pricey.

Another cheaper alternative is to use aluminium type frames (as long as they dont rust you should be fine), you can buy them and cut them yourself.

The end result will be something like this

I made something like this for my nano and it is holding fine, mine is made out of wood. Doesnt look very pretty but you can barely see it so it fits its purpose fine.

I have seen this one on ebay, looks good but again it will not be cheap

Ebay link

Size starts from 24 inches so it might be too big for your but I am sure there is has to be smaller versions somewhere out there.

Hope this helps

More
26 Feb 2014 21:49 - 26 Feb 2014 21:54 #3 by Lauris (Lauris)
Thanks. Looks bit expensive. right. I like the clip on system but I'm not preparet on tiny setup to spend too much.

managed to find this one
my-aquatic-world.blogspot.ie/2010/04/diy...ended-light.html?m=1

any ideas where would be the best place to find just rails and pvc joints?

I am planted!
Last edit: 26 Feb 2014 21:54 by Lauris (Lauris).

More
27 Feb 2014 08:12 #4 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
The PVC option is similar to the aluminium frame but it is probably a better alternative as I dont know where you could find frames like that here in Ireland.

Unfortunately I dont know where you can find PVC fittings like that either :( I would try a hardware store such as H&Q but any hardware should have them (I assume)

Sorry I can't be of any help

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds