Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

is this something to worry about?

More
09 Mar 2014 15:41 - 09 Mar 2014 15:42 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
i was cleaning my Juwel Vision180 today and as I was wiping around the edges I noticed this below.

it looks like some kind of residue left behind after a liquid dried. the tank had water in it until today, although only a few inches and was half full for the last week. the underside of the tank feels dry and there's no water damage on the cabinet. btw, that's not residue between the silicone and the glass, it's between the Juwel frame and the glass. is this anything to worry about or just par for the course? did water just get in there at some time during a water change and dry?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Mar 2014 15:42 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2014 16:05 #2 by JohnH (John)
My suspicion is that it is possibly something like condensation which has run down the glass, settled and dried, leaving you with what you see now.
If you want to be doubly certain it isn't a leak, why not take the tank outdoors and fill it up, watching for any drips.
Of course my other suggestion mightn't be acceptable to the 'guvnor' but I suspend any doubtful tanks over the bath and keep an eye on them that way.
I've saved several disasters from happening that way - down the years.
Does anyone else have any suggestions for LJ?
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
09 Mar 2014 16:18 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I think that's probably exactly what it is. I suspect I'm being a bit paranoid since the seal went on another smaller Juwel aquarium recently

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
09 Mar 2014 20:17 #4 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
As John just said , it could be just drop of water slidin g down the glass (happens every time i stick my hands in the tank ) ,
the way i check my tanks is very easy - just spread newspaper sheets on the floor , put my empty and completely DRY tank on top and start pouring water .
If there is any leak you should be able to spot it in no time .
AB

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

More
09 Mar 2014 21:25 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I think I might do that. I'm painting the back of it at the moment, so while I have it sitting on the kitchen table I might as well check it out

More
09 Mar 2014 21:52 #6 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Just one lame question , why painting the back instead of using something you can easily remove ?

More
09 Mar 2014 22:08 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Just one lame question , why painting the back instead of using something you can easily remove ?

I've always had trouble getting backgrounds to stick properly. They always go curly at the edges and end up looking awful. And the paint isn't difficult to remove if I change my mind... it comes off pretty easily with a razorblade

More
10 Mar 2014 10:29 #8 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
A new product came out last year called Plastidip, its mostly aimed at cars but its a rubber spray in a can, and it peels off easily when you want to take it off

More
10 Mar 2014 11:43 #9 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Juwel tanks are made in the frame.What u can see on that photo is excess of silicone squized ibetween the ftame and bottom glass
Absolutely nothing to worry about

More
10 Mar 2014 12:28 #10 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Ha
razor in my hands aint a good idea i would destroy the glass (im much better wit hheavier stuff like hammer and chisel) .
Bought some black plastic foil background in seahorse ages ago but never used it , as the back of my tank is planted was just wondering is it gonna affect plants sitting next to it ( less sunlight , etc ) ??

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds