Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

A slightly unusually proportioned aquarium

More
29 Apr 2014 19:05 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Ok, so I've bought a second hand TV stand (bear with me here!) to use temporarily for a 60L tank. However, later in the year I'd like to give it some additional bracing and use it to hold a custom made bigger tank. I was thinking of dimensions of 29x16x24 (LxWxH) thus giving it a proportionally very large front viewing area. The volume would be around 200L. Does anyone else have a similarly sized tank and/or length to height ratio? What would you recommend keeping in it? I'm thinking of African cichlids, perhaps smaller Tanganyikans. Does anyone see any issues?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2014 10:27 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
No one has an opinion? In THIS forum? :crazy:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
30 Apr 2014 11:53 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)
My humble opion, its a narrow tank may be hard to get rock/caves for cichlids, but maybe planted tank with corys, dwarf rainbows and gourami.

More
30 Apr 2014 12:00 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
That's another option I was considering, though I'm not particularly "blue" fingered.

Would dispersal of CO2 be more problematic in a deeper aquarium? And would I need even stronger lighting to compensate for the deeper water?

More
30 Apr 2014 12:19 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Ive never successfuly kept a planted tank my silver dollars just eat them, but from what I know most of ghe easy plants like ferns, moss and anubis dont demand high lighting and co2. The fish I suggested are all easy level and compatable.

More
30 Apr 2014 14:05 #6 by ger310 (Ger .)
I'd say if you bought certain fish young then you could have a really nice Tanganyikan set up for a couple of years with a tank that size!!

Group of Julidochromis maybe with a group of Cyprichromis?........Nice group of Shellies.... Lamprologus occelatus,Brevis, etc. maybe in there aswell? hmmmm looks good in my head!!

Coral sand,some nice pieces of ocean rock??

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
30 Apr 2014 14:06 #7 by ger310 (Ger .)

I'd say if you bought certain fish young then you could have a really nice Tanganyikan set up for a couple of years with a tank that size!!

Group of Julidochromis maybe with a group of Cyprichromis?........Nice group of Shellies.... Lamprologus occelatus,Brevis, etc. maybe in there aswell? hmmmm looks good in my head!!

Coral sand,some nice pieces of ocean rock??

Ger

oh oh and lots of shells of course!!

More
30 Apr 2014 17:51 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Actually the tank next to where it'll be is already earmarked as a Shellie tank. :) It's a 100L clearseal currently holding a few juvie convicts. I like the ideal of piling the rock high and narrow in tank I'm planning and siliconing them into place. Maybe have it as a species tank for something like daffodil cichlids or caeruleus

More
02 May 2014 16:49 #9 by ger310 (Ger .)
Try and get your hands on L.Speciosus.........All Shellies as you know are the bizz but these guys were ultra entertaining and super characters :)

I had to google Daffodil Cichlids.......Cant remember even seeing them anywhere but they look really nice I must say :)
Good luck in finding good stock if it's the 'electric yellow' Caeruleus your after........These have being bred to bits over the years and there are some terrible strains out there..........Speak to some real experienced Malawi heads and they will tell yeh the same.........'Muck' is what I was told mine were a couple of years back!! Yeh wouldn't want to be any way sensitive when these experienced Rift lake heads tell you what they think of your fish ha.

Good luck with whatever route you go down dude

Ger

More
02 May 2014 23:18 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Try and get your hands on L.Speciosus.........All Shellies as you know are the bizz but these guys were ultra entertaining and super characters :)

I had to google Daffodil Cichlids.......Cant remember even seeing them anywhere but they look really nice I must say :)
Good luck in finding good stock if it's the 'electric yellow' Caeruleus your after........These have being bred to bits over the years and there are some terrible strains out there..........Speak to some real experienced Malawi heads and they will tell yeh the same.........'Muck' is what I was told mine were a couple of years back!! Yeh wouldn't want to be any way sensitive when these experienced Rift lake heads tell you what they think of your fish ha.

Good luck with whatever route you go down dude

Ger

I'd never heard of L. speciosus, so they're something to consider!

I know what you mean about the caeruleus. I had a couple about 10 years ago and they were really spectacular, vividly coloured fish. The ones these days seem washed out by comparison.

The best thing about the daffodils is that they stay relatively small and benefit from living in colony conditions. In the wild they live in groups of up to 30,000, cheek by jowl!

Either way, I'll be sure to post on here about it ;)

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds