Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Modifying a TV stand

More
04 May 2014 12:08 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I bought a TV stand recently to use as a stand for a tank. There are a few reasons for this. One is that the stand was second hand and only cost 20 yoyos, instead of buying a new aquarium stand which can be horrendous a price. The other advantage, as I see it, is that TV stand are lower. I'm limited in where I can put tanks now (I do have to leave space in my study for me!) and given that I have bookshelves on the walls, the tanks can only be of a certain height. With a shorter stand I can get more volume into the same space. what I'm wondering is this...

Does the stand need extra bracing if I intend on putting as 200L tank on it? And if so, how much and where?

I plan on using it to hold a 55L tank initially, for which I'm sure it won't need any extra strengthening. So any tips on later mods would be a great help.

Photos follow :woohoo:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2014 12:48 #2 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Put a full sheet of plywood at the back and screw it
It will keep the cabinet square and stop it from racking.
Is it a fixed shelf in the middle ?

Anthony

More
04 May 2014 13:05 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
the middle shelf is screwed in but it's not bearing any weight from above. think the ply would be enough?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
04 May 2014 13:50 #4 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
in my opinion If you are planning to put around 250 kg on this stand you need to use at least 3 lenghts of 2x1 inch timber screwed ont sides and back - wouldnt feel safe enough with quarter of a tonne on A tv stand ?

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

More
04 May 2014 13:57 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Remove the middle shelf and insert a verticle split screwed in top and bottom
Sheet of 1/4" ply on the back to help keep it square
It should be fine at that
I normally check by sitting on something and see how it reacts to my weight then give it a judgement call lol

More
04 May 2014 14:09 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I normally check by sitting on something and see how it reacts to my weight then give it a judgement call lol

are we to infer from that that you weight a 1/4 of a tonne? :whistle:

More
04 May 2014 14:18 - 04 May 2014 14:19 #7 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
If you can unscrew rhe middle shelf, if it is long enough, i wil put it vertically in the middle ( screwing it and gluing it ) in order to avoid the top shelf from sagging.
glue and screw all the back edges of the stand to the plywood.
When you level the stand make sure to pack under each stiles, that s where all the weight will be.

Anthony
Last edit: 04 May 2014 14:19 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne).

More
04 May 2014 15:04 #8 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Maybe......
Haha

Not quite

More
04 May 2014 15:14 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
get six bags of 40kg coal and see if it holds them lol if i were u i build a frame inside with legs of a table or something like that

Something fishie going on here

More
04 May 2014 19:56 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks guys. I think I'll brace the table in the middle with a piece of 4x2 and use the shelf to brace the back and see how it looks after that. I think I'll forego the bags of coal ;) and sit on the fecker. If it survives that, I'll see where I go from there

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds