Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Diversa tanks

More
05 Jul 2014 23:07 #1 by apm (Andy McKenna)
Hi,considering a Diversa tank,wondered if any one has experience of them regarding quality etc.they do seem to be very low in price - does this mean they are low in quality ? Appreciate any advice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2014 23:22 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hi amp.

Like a lot of things you get what you pay for.
A standard mass produced off the shelf 54 liter aquarium would use 6mm glass minimum. They use 4mm glass. Ouch! :ohmy:

More
06 Jul 2014 10:44 #3 by apm (Andy McKenna)
Replied by apm (Andy McKenna) on topic Diversa tanks
That explains low prices,also maybe why there are so many second hand ones for sale.
Think I will stick to well tested brand from known supplier.Thank you.

More
06 Jul 2014 17:05 #4 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Replied by bart (Bart Korfanty) on topic Diversa tanks
I must disagree with platty252. Most of the standard 54l tanks are made of 4mm glass which is perfectly fine for that size. The price is low because Diversa is polish make and due to existence of 12 large glass works factories in the country the glass is a lot cheaper. Other than that the tanks are perfectly fine.

More
06 Jul 2014 20:39 - 06 Jul 2014 20:40 #5 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Replied by davey_c (dave clarke) on topic Diversa tanks

Most of the standard 54l tanks are made of 4mm glass which is perfectly fine for that size.

Same with mine B)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768
Last edit: 06 Jul 2014 20:40 by davey_c (dave clarke).

More
06 Jul 2014 20:55 #6 by apm (Andy McKenna)
Have checked on a few makes of tanks online and came up with the following info.(could be wrong on some of these dimensions,but these are manufacturers stated figures )
Aquaone Horizon 130 lt.6mm. 180 lt.6mm.

Juwel.Record 800 ,110 ltr.5mm. Rio 180 6mm. 240 ltr.10mm.

Diversa Budget 200 lt.8mm.

Certainly have no intention of criticising any manuafacturer.Will be going to view Diversa range and have a look at build quality etc.
Thank you for replies.
Already have a Juwel Record 800 but not happy with light unit so replaced it with a Odyssea T5 unit,big improvement.
Now decided to invest in a slightly larger tank.Addicted !!
Nearly forgot have a Blau 19ltr. Nano for shrimp,good tank,great light unit and filter (once you screen the inlet properly ,learnt that the hard way,)

More
06 Jul 2014 21:08 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Be sure to let us know what you think when you see them up close and personal.

More
07 Jul 2014 20:17 #8 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
In general most of the mass produced small tanks are made by just putting the glass together and leaving it to dry. The silicone seal is not smoothed out and that makes the aquarium more prone to leaking, over time.

I noticed that Clerseal tanks are put together very thight, which is not ideal as well. There should be a gap of silicone between the panes to allow for slight movement

Most Juwel tanks are made without the glass braces. The function of the strengthening braces is substituted by plastic bar in the middle, incorporated within the cover frame. Personally i find this ridiculous. For example in Rio 400 when it's filled with the cover frame removed or the bar broken the difference in tank width on the sides and in the middle is 1cm. That's how much the glass bends from the pressure of water. Now that's dangerous :(

Diversa makes decent larger aquariums(and they are safely braced) but they are guilty of crappy mass production of small ones. Also they used to use unpolished pane for the bottom of the tank which is not great for various reasons(don't think that's the case anymore tho).

More
08 Jul 2014 12:19 #9 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
@bart

where would the dividing line be between small crappy and large decent be?

thx
Dec

More
14 Jul 2014 19:28 - 14 Jul 2014 19:29 #10 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
i dont know if it helps, but i was looking at cleaseal tank a while ago - mainly due to so many being out there and having a good name.
But what i found out is that they over brace the tanks - as the tank itself only has a safety marker of 1.75 (or something silly like that) in the end i got one custom made and its wasn't a hole lot more expensive

(Tanks are meant to be made with a safety factor of over 3.0 if memery serves)

bart could quote you a price if your interested, i know he makes tanks and he knows a whole lot more than me. well worth a PM to him
Last edit: 14 Jul 2014 19:29 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

More
14 Jul 2014 20:47 - 14 Jul 2014 20:49 #11 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hmmmm seems I need to do a bit more research on tanks and construction. There appears to be more to it than just picking a well known brand.

Thx
Dec
Last edit: 14 Jul 2014 20:49 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers).

More
08 Aug 2014 15:58 #12 by bart (Bart Korfanty)

@bart

where would the dividing line be between small crappy and large decent be?

thx
Dec

Sorry for late reply
I was away for a while

Cheap and bad silicone seal can be spotted very easily. Proper one is nice even and smoothed along wit a tool. It is evenly adhering to both pieces of the glass.
The bad one can be seen on almost all 54l tanks of all producers. The silicone was just squeezed onto the edge of the glass pane and another pane was just "glued to it"'. The seal is usually uneven looking from inside, also more prone to liking over time.

I have fixed (completely rebuild) quite a few Chinese made tanks and only one thing comes to mind - stay away!!!! for many various reasons

Will agree with Darkslice, some of the makes are overdone with bracing, which adds safety but also weight.

More
11 Aug 2014 19:11 #13 by apm (Andy McKenna)
Unable to give an opinion on Diversa tanks as it's been impossible to contact the "stockist" I was hoping to visit , website that does not reply to emails, only phone no.a mobile that has a recorded message to say they will contact you, they don't. So i bought instead a Rio 180 from a site sponsor offering a good deal on same.
Possibly a good reason I couldn't make contact but it does not inspire confidence.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds