Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

when can i fill it

More
31 May 2015 17:41 #1 by john gannon (John Gannon)
my clearseal 1500mm base cracked a while ago empting its contents to the floor on friday i glued a new base on it .When can i put water in it and do i fill it up or just cover the bottom to test it
thanks
john

IRISH TROPICAL FISH SOCIETY CLUB MEMBER

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2015 18:02 #2 by john gannon (John Gannon)
sorry i put this in wrong cat

More
31 May 2015 19:44 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic when can i fill it
No problem John - moved now.
They do say silicone cures in 24 hours, but I have always left it 48 hours to be on the safe side myself.

With a large tank I think you really should fully fill it to test as the pressure on the base when full will be a lot more than a mere covering of water.
You probably wouldn't want another tankfull on the floor?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
31 May 2015 21:13 #4 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I would agree with John completely. 48 hrs and make sure you fill the tank and leave for a day or so to be sure all is ok. No harm checking also to make sure you did not get any air bubbles in silicone :-) Sorry to hear of the flood :crazy:

More
31 May 2015 21:45 #5 by john gannon (John Gannon)
im goin to leave it till tommorow and im only goin to put a couple of inches first to make sure all the seals are good.then fiil it up the next day leave it for anothrr 24 hrs empty it again and try dry planting it.
as for the flood that was the 3rd one 300 ltres 400 ltres and then the big one.The wife has said if it goes agajn thats it no more fish tanks.

More
01 Jun 2015 08:13 #6 by john gannon (John Gannon)
i should have just stayed in bed water water everywhere

More
01 Jun 2015 08:16 #7 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
DId it leak ? hmm not good sorry to hear that. Well at least you did not fill it completely. Make sure to check the silcon for air bubbles. this weakens it and leads to leaking.

More
01 Jun 2015 08:18 #8 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
this could be a good excuse to get you a new tank ;-) :whistle:

More
01 Jun 2015 10:05 #9 by john gannon (John Gannon)
lucky enough the wife is in work im after gettin a tube of teck 7 and resealling all the joints im putting it out the back garden and im goin go fill it i wouldnt have the confidence to fill it in the house
as for a new tank i dont think that would go down too well B)

More
01 Jun 2015 10:40 #10 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Lets hope that works for you then. I would still let it cure for a few hours. It does set allot faster though :-) Good job your wife was away lol i promise i wont tell her lol

More
01 Jun 2015 13:27 #11 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Did you cover the cracked glass with the new glass ?

More
01 Jun 2015 13:51 #12 by john gannon (John Gannon)
no i replaced the whole pane

More
01 Jun 2015 16:59 #13 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Hello John have u cut back the old silicone and get right in to the join in the tank?
be careful if there is any old silicone it doesn't 'cure' to new silicone.
Waht silicone are you using ?
i used tech 7 for the bottom glass and it worked fine with no leaks
give it as long as possible to cure bring itin to the house where there is nice warm fire
i leave it on a couch if possible. just make sure it does not fall off or you have more problems.

Something fishie going on here

More
01 Jun 2015 19:35 #14 by john gannon (John Gannon)
ye i spe0nt 3 days cleaning silicone its out the back now and its holding water ill judt check the levels again tomorow
if i put it on the sofa the whole family would have to sit in it if we wanted to watch tv :crazy:

More
01 Jun 2015 23:23 #15 by nomad (pat murphy)
According to info online regarding tech 7 it does not have the bonding strength for large aquarium construction,a very small aquarium wouldn't have the same pressure so you would most probably get away with it..I also read online of a 5ft tank built with tech7 and before long the front pane started to go under the water pressure.Most importantly while searching on the internet and found a link from a chap on another forum that got info directly from the horses mouth which was....... I contacted Tec 7 some years ago and they advised me that it is not suitable for building tanks. It does not provide the structural strength for theb job.

More
02 Jun 2015 07:31 #16 by john gannon (John Gannon)
i didnt bond the tank with tech 7 i used aquarium silicone from beta when i put some water in it it leaked so i went around all the joints and covered them with the tech 7 and it seems to have worked so far

More
02 Jun 2015 09:49 #17 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I think coving the joints with tec 7 will be fine as long as you have bonded it as you have said before :-) how is it looking now ?

More
02 Jun 2015 11:54 - 02 Jun 2015 11:57 #18 by john gannon (John Gannon)
its lookin like a fish tank should with water in it :laugh:
just checked again the water level hasnt dropped which is great
thanks
john

Last edit: 02 Jun 2015 11:57 by john gannon (John Gannon). Reason: update

More
02 Jun 2015 13:18 #19 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Glad to hear hopefully that will be the last of your troubles now and the wife will be off your back :-)

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds