Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How many holes to drill in my tank for a sump.

More
06 Jun 2015 21:51 - 06 Jun 2015 21:51 #1 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Well my plans for my tank build are getting closer, I have all the money I should need. ( well that's what I have told her!)
But a question i am trying to get answered now is, as my tank will sit in an alcove so be against the wall on 3 sides, the only place left for holes for a sump is in the floor of the tank.
Where should I drill them, how big, and how many?
I was thinking of drilling them by the back wall, in the centre of the tank on the floor, with 2 outlets for durso overflow method, and one return which I can split into 2 at the top to feed the tank both ways with returning water. All this will be hid in a weir box type thing to feed the durso pipes. (Picture 1)
If this sounds ok how big should the holes be?
Or should I drill holes in one corner of the tank? How many? (Picture2)
Or what about split the holes between both corners and making a triangle box to cover them. (Picture3)

The tank size is 118cm by 70cm high by 45cm wide.
Let me know your thoughts. I am stuck as to where the best place is.
Thanks for your help.
Hope the picture comes up.

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jun 2015 21:51 by Jonlate (Jon Late).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2015 09:46 #2 by john gannon (John Gannon)
all of the tanks ive had with s sump and overflow box have 3 holes 1 for an outlet 1 for return and 1 overflow if you put a valve on the outlet in the sump you can adjust how much water is in the overflow box to minimise noise
john

IRISH TROPICAL FISH SOCIETY CLUB MEMBER

More
07 Jun 2015 12:34 #3 by carlowchris (chris)
I was only thinking of what was best the other day for the position of the over flow....cause of the size of the tank in terms of water quality it wouldn't matter wheather it was at the side or in the centre...it's up to your own preference....if it's at the side you have an option of backgrounds you could chose from...pain blue....3d....paint black.......if its in the centre the only real option is to paint black....you could build a 3d background over it but it's going to take up a whole load of space in the tank then...or if ya paint blue it's going to look a bit funny with the black weir...so only option is painting black......

Size of holes should really depend on your flow....usually what ever size your return pipe is.you want double that for overflow.....so if your return is 19mm ...overflow should be 32mm......(think that's right....maybe some one else could confirm that)

And 3 holes definitely...the second overflow though is more of an emergency though in case the first gets blocked.

What's the tank going to be????fresh water or marine????

More
07 Jun 2015 13:25 #4 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
So definitely 3 holes. Sizes to be confirmed.
I would love to dip my toe into marine Chris, have read about your tank with interest and my wife loves marine fish and corals. But have decided for simplicity to go tropical.
The idea of having the sump built now with a new tank, is to make maintenance a load easier, ( no more leaking external filters ) and in a few years I could convert to marine.
I was also thinking of going lid less with LEDs, is that a good idea?
Another question I had was about silicone colour. I quite like the idea of clear, but have read that after a while it gets dirty and you can see it easier so it's harder to clean. Is this true?
Visiting SH next Friday (19th) to put the plans in so advice needed.
Thanks.

More
07 Jun 2015 18:45 - 07 Jun 2015 19:38 #5 by carlowchris (chris)
Rimless tanks look nice but huge evaporation off them...Could ya get a tank made with a descrete brace maybe if ya wanted to add a lid in future you could and you ended deciding you never wanted a lid you could remove it.....just thinking it would probly be easier to remove a brace from a full tank then it would be to add one.....

Black silicone definitely.but as for leds there expenisive...if ya not in a mad hurry to get them keep an eye on done deal and adverts..you some times see mad knock down prices..
Last edit: 07 Jun 2015 19:38 by carlowchris (chris).

More
07 Jun 2015 20:25 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Open top tanks do loose a fair amount of water thru evaporation !
I loose probably about 10 - 15 litres a week thru evaporation
Not too bad as long as I keep plenty of RO around for top ups

More
08 Jun 2015 21:22 #7 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
3 hole system is so called "herbie overflow" + return
Here is an article about how it works

gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Transparent silicone turns milky white over time but only where it has contact with water

Bare in mind that fresh water and marine sump designs are completely different and, basic marine sump will be difficult to use for fresh water tank and vice versa

More
09 Jun 2015 09:47 #8 by carlowchris (chris)
Whats different about a fresh water sump?????I would of thought stills socks or floss in first section.....midddle section no skimmer but a place to put some biological filtration....and return in last section.....but what would different about the over all design????

More
09 Jun 2015 11:19 #9 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Thanks Bart, I read about the herbie design and the beananimal one, that's why I asked the question.
It looks like the pipe sizes for the return are the same as the feed in that article. Would that be right? Or as Chris says should they be different sizes?
Intrested to see what difference is between marine and freshwater sumps as well!
Thanks for answers so far.

More
09 Jun 2015 11:42 #10 by carlowchris (chris)
As far as I understood it..the return is under pressure from the return pump where as the drain is basically a free flow..so the drain has to be bigger to accomadate the same amount of water

More
09 Jun 2015 20:04 - 09 Jun 2015 20:05 #11 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
The size of the plumbing depends on the desired water flow through the system. For proposed tank size u will get away with 25mm for main drain and revision + 20mm for return(plumbing size, not the holes in the glass which have to be larger)

Here is simplified drawing for marine and fresh water sump differences. Of course there is loads of different designs out there, especially for marine.

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jun 2015 20:05 by bart (Bart Korfanty).

More
10 Jun 2015 15:31 #12 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Thanks for that Bart, it make sense. Good picture
Just sent you a pm about it. Hope that's ok.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds