Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Silicone baffles?

More
09 Jan 2016 20:51 #1 by Cillian (Cillian Murphy)
I have a diy tank and stand, and sump. I siliconed all the baffles into the tank and test filled the system. After 3 days the silicone on the baffles broke, and they fell over with the weight of the water. I had used tech 7 aquarium safe silicone. If I sand the glass slightly where the baffles are going in the tank with that help? Or has anyone else got any tips? Thanks
Cillian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2016 22:39 - 09 Jan 2016 22:41 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Can understand why tec 7 didn't hold for you , use a lot of this in the motor trade my only sudjestion is that there was some sort of grease ,soap or something like that on the parts .certainly I would slightly roughen the suffice will give a bit more bite ,ensure all parts are to totally clean and let cure for at least 24 hours .hope this helps ,and good luck
Last edit: 09 Jan 2016 22:41 by robert (robert carter). Reason: spelling not right

More
10 Jan 2016 11:33 #3 by Cillian (Cillian Murphy)
Thanks Robert, tanks was completely dry and clean when it was done and baffles were placed months before I added water. I'll just have to try roughing the glass up a bit and see if that holds.

More
10 Jan 2016 12:20 #4 by carlowchris (chris)
There was another guy who built a tank using Tec 7 and time after time the tank leaked ....he eventually rebuilt the tank using silicon and hasn't leaked since...

Why not just use silicon?

More
10 Jan 2016 12:48 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
There are different types of tec 7 some set solid and some don't
I'd guess that the one you used didn't

I'd suggest that you go to a lfs and buy specific tank build quality silicone

Just my suggestion tho

More
10 Jan 2016 13:16 #6 by robert (robert carter)
Reckon Hammies
idea is the best , after all why use a product that's not really designed or the job when their are products available specificly for the job . While tec 7 is good it always seems slightly flexible when set

More
10 Jan 2016 20:17 #7 by Cillian (Cillian Murphy)
Thanks guys that's what I ended up doing, I got some at seahorse, and redid it today and got some spare that can be used under water if I need to do any repair work.
Cillian

More
11 Jan 2016 06:12 #8 by paulv (paul vickers)
I built a 5ft sump a few years ago and purposefully did not use tech7 as it's flexible. I used aquarium silicone from seahorse, it's more expensive but never fails. I also cleaned the glass with nail varnish remover, got a large bottle of it in a local woman's hair and nail salon.

More
13 Jan 2016 22:50 #9 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Once again

Make - Product name

Bond It - HA6 marine silicone
Soudal - Silirub AQ
Everbuild - Aqua Mate

I made quite a few tanks with those products(purposely designed for aquarium construction!)
Also way cheaper than what JBL is trying to push in small tubes in pet shops
Silicone has to be within best before date, shelf life is only 12m
Glass has to be completely grease free

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds