Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

why is glass so expensive in Ireland ?

More
17 Feb 2016 13:23 #1 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Does anyone know why are we getting charged crazy money for glass in this country ?
I m not talking about a few percent difference in price compared to our european neighbours but 100 % and over so it is actually cheaper to get already made tanks abroad and pay for a courrier to have them delivered than getting the glass cut in Ireland :crazy:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2016 14:09 #2 by robert (robert carter)
because we live in ireland we get ripped off with every thing we buy.

More
19 Feb 2016 05:48 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)
I maybe wrong but I don't think there is any glass making factory in Ireland so it's imported and 23% vat plus import duty and costs all add up.

More
19 Feb 2016 11:14 #4 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
You are right in saying there are are no glass manufacturers in Ireland but i m not sure if there was it will make a difference...I will give you the example of hardwood timber in Ireland. Buying irish hardwood will cost you more than buying imported ones, real pity, i would rather make furniture using the local material.
Regarding the vat, you would get charged more or less the same rate in our neighbouring countries.

More
19 Feb 2016 13:28 #5 by JohnH (John)
For what it's worth here are a couple of companies from out this way who claim to be manufacturers of glass:

www.careyglass.com/

www.tipperaryglass.ie/

As to whether they actually do (manufacture glass) is perhaps another matter...

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
19 Feb 2016 14:01 #6 by paulv (paul vickers)
I've delivered glass to Carey glass and it was imported from China.

More
19 Feb 2016 15:21 #7 by JohnH (John)
That answers at least one half of the question I posed.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
19 Feb 2016 17:24 #8 by robert (robert carter)
hi ,my mother in law worked in careys glass in nenagh ,they do not manufacture glass , all their glass is imported and cut on site for window and doors units as are their mirrors .

More
21 Feb 2016 20:11 - 21 Feb 2016 20:12 #9 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
There is no glass manufacturer (glass smelter) in Ireland. I asked in every place that i ever bought glass from. All the glass comes here from abroad. There is few factors that makes it so expensive here.
- glass is heavy so cost of transportation is high
- it's difficult to transport and there are relatively high loses
- there are rather large loses in processing (relatively large amount of useless of cuts)
- processing the panes of glass is labor intensive (polishing, cutting, drilling requires at least worker supervision) nothing is fully automatic, and labor ain't cheap here.
- insurance in the industry is very high

And just word of advice. None of the couriers or courier services insures glass, so ordering fish tank from abroad means it's your own risk.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2016 20:12 by bart (Bart Korfanty).

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds