Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Whats the actual water capacity in these tanks?

More
30 May 2016 14:52 #1 by damofoxo (Damien Fox)
Hi Folks,

Maybe someone more learned might be able to advise me on this.
I was looking to upgrade to a 450l tank and had been looking at a number of options. 2 of which were a Rio 400 and a Aqua One Aquience 1500r. When I looked at the Rio 400 it gave me tank measurements of 151 x 51 x 66. with capacity of 450l. But when I looked at the Aquience it was very similar 150 x 50 x 66 but the capacity is only 350ltrs according to both of their websites?
That's 100ltrs in the difference. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2016 15:32 - 30 May 2016 15:53 #2 by JohnH (John)
Back in the Imperial days of my youth the way to find a tank's capacity was to multiply length x breath x height which gave us the cubic capacity
Example - 24x12x12" (2x1x1) was 2 cubic feet - then you multiplied the capacity by 6-1/4 which brough the total capacity in UK gallons to 12-1/2.
However, things have moved on since then - metric measurements confuse me so I tend to use an online calculator such as this:
www.thinkfish.co.uk/calculators/aquariumvolumecalc
Obviously the physical capacity is always a little less as you deduct the volume of your substrate etc, plus none of us ever totally fills a tank to the brim, but this gives a pretty accurate indication.
Doubtless we'll get some more recommendations as the day goes on, but hope this helps in the meantime.

John

-Edit:
I perhaps should have mentioned that when calculating volume in Imperial measurements, the 24" x 12" x 12" relates to 3456cubic inches, which needs to be shown in cubic foot measurement so needs to be divided by 1728 (12" cubed) which - in the example quoted - equals 2 cubic feet. After being multiplied by 6-1/4 (the amount of Imperial gallons in a cubic foot) brings the total volume to 12-1/2 gallons.
Hope that helps to clarify things as they are in Imperial.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 30 May 2016 15:53 by JohnH (John). Reason: Tried to explain the 'old way'...

More
30 May 2016 16:03 #3 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
simple:

in cm:

151 x 51 x 66 = 508266 / 1000 = 508 liters
150 x 50 x 66 = 495000 / 1000 = 495 liters

what you really need is internal dimensions (inside glass) as it makes a big difference (probably 50L easy on this size of tank

More
30 May 2016 16:55 #4 by damofoxo (Damien Fox)
Maybe the 350ltr capacity that Aqua one state for their tank is the total water capacity the tank can hold as opposed to Juwel who could be advertising it as the total space capacity inside the tank to the very top.

Your right Miamiheat only sure way to know would be to measure from the inside upto the recommended fill line.

Just seems a bit confusing when two websites can give a difference of 100ltrs with very similar sized tanks.

More
30 May 2016 18:07 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
If the Rio is stating the water height as ~60 cm but the Aqua One is stating a full tank height of 66 with, say, 6 inches below that total height is water (ie around 50 cm height of water) then that would explain approx 100 litre difference.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
30 May 2016 21:23 - 30 May 2016 21:33 #6 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
The fill line on my Juwel Trigon is 7cm (less than 3 inches) from the top of the frame.
Last edit: 30 May 2016 21:33 by JustinK (Justin Kelly). Reason: Measurements

More
30 May 2016 22:29 #7 by damofoxo (Damien Fox)
Well if I I knock off 4 cms from the length, thats 1 cm each side for the glass and another 2 cms each side for the plastic frame. thats 147 cm
do the same with the width so 51 - 4 = 47cms
and 7cms for the fill line and say 3 cm for the floating bottom 10cm so water height = 56cm

If I calculate that 147 x 47 x 56 cms that gives me 386.9 litres.
less substrate etc, thats a bit of a difference to somebody expecting 450 litres.

1st world problems!

More
31 May 2016 13:52 #8 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
unfortunately that is the industry standard => they give you volume based on total external dims - fact that is absolutely misleading. 450L tanks are usually 400-410 actual capacity.
Biggest problem in my opinion is when people are unaware of that and will dose meds based on this false information.

More
02 Jun 2016 11:05 #9 by paulv (paul vickers)
Car makers quoting fuel economy and emissions, and aquarium makers quoting volume can be taken with a large pinch of salt. In the end the actual water volume of a stocked and landscape tank is only a best guess. However a 100L difference in similar tanks is big difference.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds