Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Trigon 350

More
06 Nov 2016 10:49 #1 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
So I'm thinking of upgrading my marine into my trigon 350, so I'm looking for a price to sump it!!!! (Already contacted Bart and a few others)
So here's a few questions!!! Obviously 35 -40kg live rock will be needed that won't be a problem as the rank is 26 inch deep (top to bottom).
So my issue is, what size of sump do I want? Keeping in mind the shape of the cabnite it's a bit restrictive!
Is there a particular setup of sump that works best in this shape of tank?
I've 2 rw 15 wave makers that I'll probably use, I'm guessing I want the turnover from the return pump at around 3000 - 4000 lph?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2016 18:35 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic Trigon 350
Hi Hammie , i dont know anything about marine , but Bart built my 350 litre coldwater tank ,it has a 120 litre sump plus a 30 litre top up tank , these all fit perfectly into the cabinet he made . Must admit system is up and running 6 months now and very happy with the way it preforms . Robert

More
06 Nov 2016 23:05 #3 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Replied by Sukahn (Shane Doorley) on topic Trigon 350
Hey Hammie,

As for sump size, i have a 350L clearseal with a 130L sump. anything around the 100-150L would be more that enough as a sump. My 5ft tank has a 140L sump under it. The bigger the size of sump will make it easier to install different accessories, and can help doing water changes as you can pump from the sump. You can make your sump taller than a usual sump to hold more water to add volume, just get a stand made for the skimmer. or just do a 2 chambered sump one for equipment and a short over under chamber for your return at the back of the cabinet, You will definatly need a custom built sump.

I have 3 rw8's running my 5ft tank and had 2 rw8's in 3ft clearseal and it was more than enough flow so your rw15's at about 50-60% should be more than enough.

Return wise i would go for a 6000L so you dont have to run it on full power, i have 9000 on my 5ft running at 80% and had 4000lph on the 3ft clearseal and was more than enough at 90%.

Hope that helps a little. :)

Shane

More
08 Nov 2016 23:57 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic Trigon 350
Cheers Shane
Info is just what I was looking for! Any recommendations on a decent quiet brand of return pump?

More
09 Nov 2016 00:47 #5 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
No worries mate,

Return pump wise i can only tell you about the ones i have used. Currently i have a 9000L per hour blau running on my 5ft, previously i had a 6k jaboa running. They are both sound wise about the same but i ran the 6k at 100% and only running the 9k at 80% both without foam underneath them to help reduce sound, thats my next project on the tnak.

The balu i like better for the simple fact you have 1% increases you can make on the return to make it more adjustable for a sump, but the jaboa is alot cheaper so i would recommend that for a startup with the view to upgrading in 1-2 years afterwards once your up and running well.

More
09 Nov 2016 00:48 #6 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Sorry about all the spelling mistakes lol :)

More
09 Nov 2016 06:14 #7 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic Trigon 350
Thanks bud

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds