Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Small sump design for marine

More
13 Nov 2016 11:34 #1 by Rhinopia (John Byrne)
Hi,
Looking for advice on sump design for a to go into the cabinet of a 2 foot cube clearseal tank.
there not much room in the cabinet. The current sump is 38cm x 46cm x 46cm (l x h x w) It has two sections and two dividers.

I was thinking of having small fuge, skimmer and return, in that order.

Any thoughts on this please.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2016 04:55 #2 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey mate,

I currently have a 3 sectioned sump for my 4ft sump, small over under for first chamber to second which i use for filter socks and skimmer pump, just for ease of maintance, skimmer body, reactors and micromec is in the large second chamber and then there is just an over baffle for the return. I will post pictures of it later if i can.

Putting in a fuig would be done in the same way as i was thinking of running a fuig in my first compartment but i just decided against it as i have a large enough body of water in my main tank with plenty of rock for housing critters, plus my mircomec seams to be doing a good job as a place for them to live too.

Are you going building the new sump yourself or getting it custom built as Bart would give you great info on how to set it.

More
14 Nov 2016 09:33 #3 by Rhinopia (John Byrne)
Thanks for your reply Sukahn,
I was thinking fuge in the first section so as to receive all the nutrients, then skimmer then return. Your sump is over double the size mine, so you have plenty of space for equipment. I am just trying to squeeze as much as possible into a small space. I will also give Bart a call to see what he would suggest.

More
14 Nov 2016 22:04 #4 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Well in case you were going to put in reactors they can hang on the outside or above the sump or at the back or side of the tank and dont need to be in the sump.

I have tons of space in my sump, my middle section alone is 2.5ft lol. but i could see all the equipment in my sump being able to fit fine with planning. the fuge is better in the first section as it allows all nutrients and waste to be used in the fuge but remember to have some cleanup crew in it to not make it into a cesspit lol.

Getting someone that knows how to design the sump is the best way forward. Just tell him exactly what you want to do in it and he will be able to figure it out for ya.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds