Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Cursed staining! Advice

More
21 Nov 2016 21:19 #1 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
Pic attached. See top rim what I'm talking about.

Been away from fish for a few months. Have the bug again. Picked up second hand 100L to play with.... Have 100% vision for tighr barb species tank.

Tank Has calcium or hard water stains on front. Scrubbed the sh1t out of it with CIF, didn't work. Lathered and soaked with vinegar and scrubbed several times. No luck.

Looks like it's ingrained or burned on the glass but can still feel the texture of its presence when rubbing a finger across the glass.

Thoughts?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2016 21:29 #2 by robert (robert carter)
If its stains from minerals from water and you can feel try scrapping it with a single sided new razor blade

More
21 Nov 2016 21:42 - 21 Nov 2016 21:43 #3 by JohnH (John)
If the glass surface is damaged you might want to check out Inza's excellent tutorial - albeit for scratches - it should be equally successful.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/forum/40-tanks-...get-rid-of-scratches

Let us know how you get on.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2016 21:43 by JohnH (John). Reason: Word omitted.

More
23 Nov 2016 20:14 #4 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
Ok so tried the razor blade with a decent amount of hope but nah! Nothing.

This staining is like chemical burned on or something. I think it is from a backing that had moisture between it and the background adhesive and the result is a sort of transfer effect. The video John put up looks good but can't see myself having time to organise that with my schedule I'm working 14 hours a day at my 2 jobs! Might whip out some baking soda and lemon tonight and see where I get... any further thoughts appreciated.

More
23 Nov 2016 20:56 #5 by robert (robert carter)
Ok so the razor blade didnt work , i had some bad scratches on the glass of my tropical tank and a used some car bodywork rubbing compound a product called G3 its available from any good motor factors ,its in a tube and costs around 7 euro. Its a paste that you apply on a wet cloth and lots of rubbing in a circular motion, this reduced my scratches by about 50% . Now i half emptied my tank and taped a lot of kitchen paper below the area i was working on ,to avoid any product going into the tank water . Of coarse much easier if working on an empty tank . Its worth a try, glass is not porous ,so in theory nothing should go into the glass compound itself

More
23 Nov 2016 21:21 #6 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
Thanks for your continued advice. I'll see if I can pick up a tube of that tomorrow. Yes you are right about glass not porus; so something has to get this stuff off! Thanks again

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds