Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fish Tank Cover

More
14 Aug 2017 13:03 #1 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)
Hi All, its been a while since I have posted in here, but have been lurking in the background reading threads.

I have a Fluval Osaka 155 litre tank. It is an open-topped tank and I find that I lose a lot of water to evaporation, especially with our warm weather over the last few months. I am thinking that I need to get a lid for the tank. Could anyone advise on where would be the best place to get one? I am thinking it would have to be custom made, as they aren't made as standard for my tank. The lighting unit also sits on the rim of the tank (it is not the original unit) so the lid would have sit inside the rim of the tank. Any advice that people could give would be much appreciated, I am not even sure where to start on this!

Bill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2017 15:34 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Is it a rimless tank ? What about getting a glass cover and getting 4 small holes drilled in it and then making up some sort of brackets that could be bolted to the glass and hang on the edge of the tank . Its just an idea if you follow what i mean .

More
14 Aug 2017 16:18 #3 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic Fish Tank Cover
Or get some of those clip on plastic ones you see on eBay, and a sheet of polycarbonate sheet.

Not sure if thus lazy way of cut and pasting a photo works! Sorry if it doesn't.

ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1UR2GLXXXXXcQXVXXq...ank-font-b-Glass.jpg

More
14 Aug 2017 21:14 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Hi johnlate i tried polycarbonate and found it buckled under the heat of the lights , mine are t5s it might be ok under cooler leds .

More
14 Aug 2017 22:10 - 14 Aug 2017 22:10 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Fish Tank Cover
I don't know the Osaka tanks but my suggestion if you want a cover built would be to contact Bart. His work is always first class and most people who have had work done by him are full of praise for it.

I don't think he's at the Bawnogue Centre any longer but here's his mobile number:

085 168 1733

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2017 22:10 by JohnH (John). Reason: spelling

More
15 Aug 2017 07:15 - 15 Aug 2017 07:16 #6 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)
Many thanks for all the replies guys.

Is it a rimless tank ? What about getting a glass cover and getting 4 small holes drilled in it and then making up some sort of brackets that could be bolted to the glass and hang on the edge of the tank . Its just an idea if you follow what i mean .

Yes it is a rimless tank Robert. Where would be the best place to get glass Robert? Can you just go to a glazer and ask them to cut it to a particular size. Would I need them to cut the holes, and would they smooth off the edges etc.? Have never worked with glass and wouldn't be amazing with my hands so wouldn't be comfortable doing any work on it myself (especially in my apartment).

Or get some of those clip on plastic ones you see on eBay, and a sheet of polycarbonate sheet.

Not sure if thus lazy way of cut and pasting a photo works! Sorry if it doesn't.

ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1UR2GLXXXXXcQXVXXq...ank-font-b-Glass.jpg

I have seen the clips alright Jonlate. I have heard a few people on different forums recommend polycarbonate. Can you get this in the likes of Woodies or B&Q, or do you have to special order it from somewhere? Would you or anyone have any recommendations on where to order it from, and what exactly I am looking for - i.e. thickness, finishes etc? I have LED lights on the tank John, so hopefully wouldn't be an issue with buckling.

I don't know the Osaka tanks but my suggestion if you want a cover built would be to contact Bart. His work is always first class and most people who have had work done by him are full of praise for it.

I don't think he's at the Bawnogue Centre any longer but here's his mobile number:

085 168 1733

John

Thanks John. I had been thinking about Bart, but thought I had read on a thread here that he had gotten out of the fish tank business? I might send him a text or a message on here to see if could do anything.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2017 07:16 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe).

More
15 Aug 2017 16:39 #7 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic Fish Tank Cover
I got my polycarbonate at the local builders merchant, it's a Topline.
But I would imagine b&q, woodies sell it as well.
What good about it so you can drill holes in it for your feeder, or for your finger! I just cut mine with a metal blade in my jigsaw. The wood blades (they are not made of wood before the stupid comments come, they are for cutting wood! ) teeth are to big and split it easily. You also then have small bits left for other projects, that you can gluegun or glue together to make all kinds of things.

Have a few blade handy, as when they heat up the melt the plastic rather than cut!
Of course a hand saw will do the job as well.

If you do get glass cut, make sure they take off the sharp edges, else you will cut yourself everytime you take the lid off.

More
15 Aug 2017 18:34 #8 by robert (robert carter)
Bart the guy who built my tank is no longer in clondalkin ,i think but not sure he is out of the aquarium building bussiness , but best to ring him

More
16 Aug 2017 12:31 #9 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)

I got my polycarbonate at the local builders merchant, it's a Topline.
But I would imagine b&q, woodies sell it as well.
What good about it so you can drill holes in it for your feeder, or for your finger! I just cut mine with a metal blade in my jigsaw. The wood blades (they are not made of wood before the stupid comments come, they are for cutting wood! ) teeth are to big and split it easily. You also then have small bits left for other projects, that you can gluegun or glue together to make all kinds of things.

Have a few blade handy, as when they heat up the melt the plastic rather than cut!
Of course a hand saw will do the job as well.

If you do get glass cut, make sure they take off the sharp edges, else you will cut yourself everytime you take the lid off.

Perfect, thanks for the advice Jonlate, I'll take a trip to Woodies this weekend and see what I can find. Thanks for the advice on how to cut it etc. as well.

Bart the guy who built my tank is no longer in clondalkin ,i think but not sure he is out of the aquarium building bussiness , but best to ring him

Thanks Robert, I'll try to give him a bell next week, have a wedding tomorrow so won't get a chance this week.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds