Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Custom Cabinet

More
31 Jul 2018 20:52 #1 by davet (Dave Treacy)
Finally have decided to upgrade from my Juwel Vision 180 litre. Going for a bigger 300 litre braceless, rimless open top custom tank. While it looks like I'll get Seahorse to make the tank I'm after a custom cabinet. Measurements would be 120(L) x 60(W) x 80(H) cm. Ideally someone around Leinster if anyone can suggest a name?

Have got a few ideas of price from Adverts and Facebook. Now looking for recommendations.

Cheers,
Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2018 15:02 #2 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
I can’t recommend anyone, but I really wish that I had gone with a metal stand when I had my tank built.
If I did it again, I would definitely get one. I know it would be expensive, but so are our tanks and the fish that go in them!

Just a thought, but hope you do!!

More
01 Aug 2018 15:22 #3 by davet (Dave Treacy)
All metal construction or just the internal frame supports carrying all the weight.

More
01 Aug 2018 22:21 #4 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
I would do a square tube frame and mount the wood or whatever you want, over the top of it.
I have trouble with the doors warping on mine and not shutting properly. I do have an internal sump though and that what causes it to happen.
If I had done it in metal, I could just take the doors off and replace them, as the rest would still be square and string. I don’t want to start drilling into wooden sides, making more holes that can weaken the whole side.

If I was really going for it, I would try to get it power coated as well. This way it will never rust if you change to salt water at sometime.

More
02 Aug 2018 09:02 #5 by davet (Dave Treacy)
Perfect Jon, really appreciate you pointing me down this route.

Spent ages yesterday after your suggestion looking into it. Definetly something I'm going to do looking into powder coating costs at the minute. Looks something like attached I found (done in the US for a 1,500 litre saltwater using 2" steel).

I'll figure out how to wrap the frame afterwards, with wood. Rough calcs are that I'll need about 13 metres of square tubular steel. Will chase up a few engineers I know to see if they will suggest either 12mm or 20mm box. With the tank, substrate and water I'm probably looking at about 400-450 kgs. That much steel will itself will weight about 35kgs.

Attachments:

More
02 Aug 2018 14:50 #6 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
That’s exactly what I was talking about.
It supports the base of the tank, without any sagging, so no danger in the future of the tank bottom cracking.
Also it spreads the weight over the floor better, as it’s sitting on a complete rail.
Depending on the length I might put a bar in the middle as well.

Glad to share a few ideas.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds