Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Is it possible to remove scratches from glass?

More
23 Jul 2007 20:50 #1 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Hi all,

I've posted this in the Wanted Forum also - but maybe one of you can help out here. A friend of mine has a Trigon 190 as her main show tank - but during cleaning of the curved glass surface the glass got scratched and she is really distraught.

Is it possible to clean the scratches off the glass? I don't think so, but maybe one of you know a way.

The alternative question that I asked in the Wanted section is if any of you have a Trigon 190 that you might consider swapping for a slightly scratched unit? I know it seems ridiculous but maybe you are using one for a QT tank or a non-display purpose where you could tolerate a few scratches on the glass?

It's a long shot I know but just thought it would be worth asking. And if you wanted to name a difference in price between the non-scratched and scratched unit that would be fair enough.

Alternatively - if one of you have a Trigon for Sale - how much?

Thanks!

Rob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2007 22:56 #2 by Deeco (Deeco)
found this on the net
Light scratches in glass can be removed by buffing with toothpaste. Use normal toothpaste, and not \"gel\" types, which contain coarser grit. Apply toothpaste to the scratch, remove excess with a razor blade, let dry, then buff with a cloth

otherwise contact glazier they usually use something professinal that can buff it out

aslong as it is not to deep you should be able to get it out

You know yourself

More
23 Jul 2007 23:08 #3 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Thanks a million Deeco...

I don't think the scratch is so deep that you'd catch your fingernail in it. The cause seems to be a cleaning tool that has a metal blade on it for removing Algae. It works fine on a straight and flat edged tank, but on the rounded inside of the Trigon it scratched the glass.

However, I just had a search on the net as well and just found this:

www.fitchfamily.com/glass.html

Now then it looks like it will be possible to repair this even if it takes alot of effort and elbow grease as they say.

I suppose the question is now:
1) Have any of you ever tried this before and any tips?
2) If there was a Glazer that someone could recommend for this - it would be more reassuring than an Oaf like me trying this and possibly cracking the glass or making the whole thing worse :( ...

Thanks a million again<br><br>Post edited by: Chief Robert, at: 2007/07/24 00:20

More
24 Jul 2007 10:19 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Looks as though it's worth a try. It looks similar to the cutting compound used to remove scratches from cars. I know you can get cutting compound to remove scratches from car windows which should also help. You'd want to make sure you don't go too hard or it could \&quot;burn\&quot; the glass and make it worse. It's important that you use water to keep the polishing pad cool.

I presume this scratch is on the inside of the tank? You'll have to empty the tank and wash it out very well afterwards to ensure there is no residue left as it will most likely be poisonous to the fish.

A lot of work, but cheaper than a new tank.

Regards,

Ken.

More
24 Jul 2007 10:41 #5 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Hi Ken,

I am very unfamiliar with this so how exactly do you apply the compound? I've never heard of a Polishing Pad. Is that something I would use manually, or connect to a drill or something?

Also - I was speaking to a friend here at work and apparently glaziers use abrasive toothpastes all the time to take scratches out of glass in windows and windscreens. He is going to check with a master glazier, but he recalls being told that Arm &amp; Hammer toothpaste is the pick of the bunch as it is the most abrasive. It's the equivalent to a glass cutting compound.

I'll check here and see what they say... I'll post up any advice I get too just in case any of the rest of you want to know more.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

More
24 Jul 2007 11:10 #6 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
I got onto the Glazier and he wanted to know what type of Glass was it? Was it toughened or not, was it coloured or tinted, and what thickness.

I gave him a description off the top of my head - I don't think the glass is toughened (If it scratches that easily it's hardly the same as that toughened glass on windows etc), I don't think it's tinted and I think it's less than 10mm.

Does this seem right to the rest of you? I can't find any specs on the Juwel product descriptions on the web.

The glazier knows of some expert that he is checking with and the expert apparently has some magical product just for this kind of thing...

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2007 13:57 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Is it possible to remove scratches from glass?
Hi Robert,
it's floatglas and that makes is toughened.

Holger

More
24 Jul 2007 15:09 #8 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Hi Holger,

I'll mention Floatglass to the Glazier as well now. I'll let you all know what he says as I'm sure this is something many of you could also benefit from knowing too.

Thanks alot!

Rob

More
05 Aug 2007 11:56 #9 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Well - just to update you on my lack of progress to date... :(

I emptied the water levels down to just under the scratch mark (on the inside of the tank)
I wiped away any dirt and dried the inside of the tank
I applied a liberal smear of \&quot;Arm and Hammer\&quot; Whitening toothpaste over the scratches, wiped away the excess, and let it dry.
I then buffed and buffed the hell out of the scratch.

No progress whatsoever :angry: (except for the workout which I needed):dry:

I was actually getting a bit concerned about the shaking I was giving the tank while buffing. I was afraid I might break a seal somewhere so I was trying to hold it steady with one hand while I buffed with the other.

I have 2 options now in terms of repairing the scratch apparently.
1) Use Cutting Compound (as is used to get scratches out of car paint)
2) Jewellers Paste, which is another form of cutting compound.

Whether either will be successful I don't know.

I could also increase the power in the buffing by using a drill - but the risk there is that I buff a much larger areas and potentially smear the tank, making it worse than the scratch that is already there.

So I will leave it off a few more days and speak to a few more resident experts.

Any more suggestions on here more than welcome!!!
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Aug 2007 12:20 #10 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re:Is it possible to remove scratches from glass?
Rob I'm not sure if this would help :unsure: But here goes anyway. I had a pair of Rayban sunglasses B) once upon a time my then Girlfriend bought me. However, from all the use they got they got scratched very badly . While working on a Building in city centre I came across a guy wo worked part time for a spectical company one of the large ones and he took the glasses and polished the scratches out , they were like new. Maybe someone like this might be able to help. Even if you were to find out what they used. The best of luck mate.

Paul.

More
05 Aug 2007 15:00 #11 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)
Yep, an optical lab have the equipment to do it alright, I know someone who used to work in Specsavers &amp; was always doing it for people.

I'd imagine panes of aquarium glass are a bit too big for the equipment though.

"Everything's going perfectly in my aquarium. What do I do???"

More
12 Aug 2007 22:33 #12 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Hi again,

I spoke to a very good friend of mine who works as a Glazier. When I mentioned Floatglass to him he said more or less immediately that he didn't think it would be possible to get the scratches out. For softer glass it might be possible to use things like Toothpaster (apparently it works well for Windscreens and Window panes if ever any of you encounter such a situation) but on toughened glass he things it'll be impossible.

He is making a final check for some super compound that he might be able to get his hands on from Switzerland, but in the end this might require some power in terms of a drill with a buffer of some sort attached. However, the big risk then again is that I would smear the glass - i.e. rub over more than just the scratch when using the drill.

So alas I think I have put a load of ugly scratches on what was a pristine Juwel Trigon 190. Worst thing is that it wasn't my tank - it was a friends tank that I was supposed to be looking after for while she was away. She is very sad at the state of the tank. I feel very responsible and guilty, so am going to see if anything shows up on here in terms of a 2nd hand one and see if we can come up with a solution.

Cheers...

Rob

More
24 Aug 2007 23:59 #13 by harbo (Paul Harbison)
Hi Rob,

I remember my Dad telling me about removing scratches from car windscreens with a product called Jewellers Rouge.

Have a look here...
www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient...elers+rouge+on+glass

and if it works light a candle for my Dad!:)

Paul

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds