Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Removing Limescale from a fish tank

More
02 Nov 2007 13:50 #1 by komalley (K OM)
Hi Folks,

Am setting up a new tank which has been in storage for a while. My problem is limescale on the tank and how do I remove it so as to get the tank back into a decent condition.

Any ideas.....???

Thanks in advance for your help

kom

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2007 14:36 #2 by Deeco (Deeco)
stanley blade and water is your only man don't forget the elbow grease

You know yourself

More
02 Nov 2007 15:31 #3 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Vinegar is good but it's hard to get rid of the stench.

Most glass cleaners contain vinegar these days (The Tesco own brand is good), just make sure you give it a good rinse out afterwards.

(I'm assuming the tank is empty!!!!)

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Nov 2007 16:28 #4 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Removing Limescale from a fish tank
Eek! chemicals!

I'd go with the blade and a gentle touch.
Vinegar too.
Wipe the vinegar all over the limescale, leave for a few mins and then gently start scraping, using water to keep everything moist.

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Nov 2007 17:21 #5 by Vincent (Vincent)
Replied by Vincent (Vincent) on topic Re:Removing Limescale from a fish tank
Wonder is it a marine tank......imagine,,,fish,,,salt,,,,vinegar,,,,whata combination,,,,,,,,,,:laugh:

More
03 Nov 2007 00:46 #6 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Don't laugh but i have used steradent and vinegar but sometimes a blade is the only way it really all depends on how much time you want to spend on it! blades are by far the fastest but can also do most damage. vinegar etc takes it off in lawyers more time consuming but less risk of scratches etc

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
03 Nov 2007 23:45 #7 by komalley (K OM)
Thanks for the feedback folks....

Tank is empty, is 36\"x22\"x18\" and most the limescale is around the top at the water line. Have cracked the bottom of the tank and when replacing the same am going to give it a complete 'spring-clean'....my thoughts were to use vinegar + a razor blade and opionion seems to agree with this approach....

thanks for your feedback

kom

More
04 Nov 2007 00:04 #8 by kieronr (kieronr)
Go with the vinegar and blade approach,that'll sort it out !.

More
04 Nov 2007 00:16 #9 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Get the one sided stiff razor blades, you can usually get them in a chemist or a hardware, safer and more rigid so you can get a good grip. You may need more than one.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Nov 2007 03:27 #10 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Removing Limescale from a fish tank
Hi KoMalley,
Definitely agree with the vinegar+stiff razor blades as described above by Daragh. You probably guessed as much but make sure you watch out for the silicone bead in the corners ! ;)
Valerie

More
06 Nov 2007 10:31 #11 by pearsonross (Ross Pearson)
sulfamic acid and boiling water its amazing just paint it on leave minutes and wash off no elbow grease needed just did a second hand filter i bough that was caked in limescale and now looks like new. Would stay away from the sealocone just do the glass

More
17 Nov 2007 22:18 #12 by komalley (K OM)
Hi All,

Vinegar and razor blade done the trick. Tank looks like new....:cheer:

Thanks for the feedback....

kom

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds