Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

bulging rio 180

More
03 Jan 2008 23:10 #1 by nomad (pat murphy)
Hi all,while thinning plants etc in my tank a Jewel Rio 180 i noticed on closing the lid that there was more of a gap in the middle between the lid face edge and the inner plasic surround of the plastic frame.Lifted the lid and saw that the strutt thats combined with the outer plastic frame is adhered with some type of silicone sealant to the glass and it seems to be comeing away,there too is a noticable slight bow on the front when viewed along the tank length.,Anyone out there with any knowledge or advice as to persuing this matter with the tank still being under warranty or anyone that has had similar problems especially with the rio 180 a reply would be much appreciated,many thanks ......nomad.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2008 23:39 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I have 2 Rio 180s, both bought secondhand, one of which shows exactly the same bow, which used to worry me a lot, but I kind of forgot about it and it has been there for over a year without any problem. The other 180, which I suspect is older has only a very very slight bow, that you would not notice unless you went looking. I don't think you have anything to worry about, however as it is under warranty it may be worth contacting them to see what they say.

More
04 Jan 2008 00:05 #3 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
Is this from piling rocks against the back wall of the tank?

More
04 Jan 2008 13:31 #4 by nomad (pat murphy)
Thanks for the info Darragh,will be intouch with the shop i bought the tank off seeing as though its still under warranty.It seems if its not one thing its another when things happen.Got up this morning to feed the fish and noticed a couple of fish dead and the rest gasping,all i had done last night was trimmed and replanted plants in the tank but now just remembering i did turn off an airstone i had running lightly.......

More
04 Jan 2008 13:35 #5 by nomad (pat murphy)
Hi,not used to this sight yet re. posts etc and just noticed a post re.is this from piling rocks against the back wall of the tank??? .....in reply,no i only have some bogwood on the tank wall,no excess pressure to the back....thanks again.

More
04 Jan 2008 15:19 #6 by Cynos (Cynos)
Replied by Cynos (Cynos) on topic Re:bulging rio 180
Personally I'd get straight back onto the shop, I wouldnt be ablt to sleep at night for fear of it giving way. IMO Juwel tanks aint the best built

More
04 Jan 2008 19:31 #7 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I had the same bowing effect with my 180. Never had any problem with it. The gap got to about 1-2mm then never went any further.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
04 Jan 2008 20:21 #8 by nomad (pat murphy)
Thanks for the comments and advise on the rio 180,went back to the shop and was told to await a visit from a rep from jewel ( your guess when as good as mine )or could pay the money upfront for a replacement tank and be refunded when i return the faulty one.....With finance issues So soon after christmas like everyone else and unemployed too it doesnt seem then to be a positive solution..p.s theres an eigth of an inch plus bow in the middle and hopefully not growing....thanks again.

More
04 Jan 2008 21:23 #9 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
That would make me very nervous, but good to hear that it's common and nobody here has had any problems. I have nightmares about one of my tanks cracking and pouring up to 500l into a room.

I'm sitting here surrounded by 4 tanks totalling around 600l. I wonder what the house insurance position is if a tank ruptures? Would an insurance company consider it reasonable to have 600l of water in a room?

Or maybe that's a questions nobody here wants to consider.

Regards,

Ken.

More
05 Jan 2008 15:15 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
KenS wrote:

I'm sitting here surrounded by 4 tanks totalling around 600l. I wonder what the house insurance position is if a tank ruptures? Would an insurance company consider it reasonable to have 600l of water in a room?

Provided you are not keeping or using the tanks for commercial purposes the damage caused by the escaping water is covered, but the tank and stock are not. Similarly if your washing machine leaks, you are covered for the subsequent damage but not the repair to the washing machine.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jan 2008 19:16 #11 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:bulging rio 180
KenS wrote:

That would make me very nervous, but good to hear that it's common and nobody here has had any problems. I have nightmares about one of my tanks cracking and pouring up to 500l into a room.

Reminds me of a dream I had recently of my tank bursting & putting water, glass & rocks all over me. I'm still nervous whenever I have my back to it ;)

Good look with the tank Nomad!

More
06 Jan 2008 01:55 #12 by Cynos (Cynos)
Replied by Cynos (Cynos) on topic Re:bulging rio 180
Have my tank on the house policy, not sure if it covers livestock, but does cover a replacement tank and damage to the house should an accident happen

More
06 Jan 2008 13:52 #13 by nomad (pat murphy)
Thanks for the info lads,think that i will have to find a container that would hold around 100 gallons of tank water,place the fish and run a heater and my external heater in same while i take the tank back for a replacement....any ideas where i could get anything suitable that wouldnt effect the fish ?? thanks......

More
06 Jan 2008 14:02 #14 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I really don't think you will have to do that, wait until Juwel rep sees it first. If you are not using the juwel filter you could lower the water level for the moment, that would reduce the pressure and you could sleep better while you are waiting his visit. There is also a plastic cross brace on the top of the Rio 180 so I don't think the front is going anywhere.

More
06 Jan 2008 16:39 #15 by nomad (pat murphy)
Thanks for that Darragh,phoned the shop again and there must have been a breakdown in comunication as a rep would not be visiting the house to see the tank,it would be seen if i can get it to the shop for a replacement :( ....
I,m actually still using the internal filter and heater more as afine particle polisher with sponges and filter wool and a water softening pillow because my gh was off the scale at 180ppm mg/l......Yes the plasic strut is attached to the inner of the plastic tank surround and the strut held to the tank with a black sealant,its the black sealant that is coming away from the glass.....p.s nearlly got five numbers on the lotto last night,would have been nice,new tank but definatly not a JEWEL for sure .........

More
06 Jan 2008 17:01 #16 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Ok, if the sealant is coming away, I think you would be better gettingit replaced. I still don't think you are likely to be swimming in fish any time soon, but as it is under warrantly I would definitely have it replaced.

More
06 Jan 2008 17:08 #17 by nomad (pat murphy)
Looks like i,m back to my previous plan of action looking for a tempory 100 ltr fish friendly barrel while i strip the tank and bring it back for a replacement........

• pierce (pierce)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Jan 2008 19:18 #18 by pierce (pierce)
Replied by pierce (pierce) on topic Re:bulging rio 180
nomad wrote:

Looks like i,m back to my previous plan of action looking for a tempory 100 ltr fish friendly barrel while i strip the tank and bring it back for a replacement........

nomad were you based i have a 3ft tank you can borrow until you get a replacement

More
06 Jan 2008 21:23 #19 by nomad (pat murphy)
Thanks for the offer Pierce,much appreciated but would most probably end up with your 3ft bursting becouse this is an old house and the floors are unbeleivably uneven.The trouble i had even to level up the floor for the 8 feet on the base of the tank unit was crazy,up to an inch fall in just over 3 feet.Thats `why my thoughts were more along the lines of using a plastic barrel or container because of the play it would give,thanks again........

More
11 Jan 2008 00:40 #20 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Nomad if the tank is under warranty then why not just collect your fish and get the LFS to look after them till you have the new tank installed. Saves messing around with 100ltr of water. Easier to carry a couple of bags.

I know others are having problems with the 180 ( and now I am crapping myself as I have one in the sitting room )but would the uneven floor have anything to do with it ?

Processor.

More
11 Jan 2008 12:47 #21 by nomad (pat murphy)
Hi Processor thanks for the reply,in regards to the LFS or any other holding my fish stock temporarely thats a thing i would be a bit dubious about,especially with some of the shops practises and things that ive witnessed untrained staff getting up to.Also a lot of shops have all or most of their tanks linked into a main filter system which can be a bad thing for potential cross contamination of infection or disease.As well as that i,m trying to keep at least half the water so as not to put to much undo stress on the fish,water chemistry change etc so have just purchaced a couple of them 40 ltr flexi buckets and a couple of other buckets for roughly 20 euro.
As to the uneven floor...although its uneven theres no problem with that,took plenty of time to level and pack up the differances in height especially where the pressure points would be from the 8 \" feet \" of the unit.I then placed 3 by 2 inch timber length ways for the tank unit to sit on to distribute the weight.Checked with a spirit level as it was filling and gaining weight and no problems,level and plumb.
Its the tanks plastic strut construction that is at fault and so i feel definately that they are not a good buy.If there was a glass strut in the centre i wouldnt be having this problem and a certain lack of peace of mind so it sems like in regards to this situation... the old way is the best way for sure,....thanks.

More
17 Feb 2008 14:38 #22 by nomad (pat murphy)
Hi lads,got the Juwel Rio 180 tank replaced for another roughly 5 weeks ago and everything seemed fine UNTILL a few days ago and noticed a problem :( A gap was starting to appear between the lid and inner frame,on further investigation i noticed that the silicone on the strutt seemed to be ok but when viewed along the length of the tank at the top the front panel glass had 2 bows forming either side of the centre strutt...
Browsed the web and came across a site for Juwel spare parts www.urmstonaquatics.com/juwelspares.html, couldnt believe they were selling replacement brace bars for Vision and Rio tanks to stop the front and back glass from bowing.Surely then this is a major problem with Juwel tanks moving away from the old brace and strutt design,it now seems to me that the double bow that i have in my tank glass proves this and that the glass thickness needed and should have been increased to take the extra stress and pressure of a tank full of water......

More
17 Feb 2008 14:47 #23 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Hi Nomad

Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble, but I am not surprised because I think it is present in most Rio 180 and maybe other models too. I have two 180's and they are both like that, but I am not worried, I really don't think the front is going to give way.

That website is www.urmstonaquatics.com/juwelspares.html however it is not a Juwel site and I suspect that they are just taking advantage of people that are worried about the design of the Juwel.

For sure it would be better if they did not bulge and Juwel should amend their design, having another manufacturer producing parts to retro fit to your brand to make them more secure is hardly good PR.

More
17 Feb 2008 15:07 #24 by nomad (pat murphy)
Hi Darragh,thanks for that,fingers crossed for now,.............

More
27 Feb 2008 17:48 #25 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
try this link i normally try to go straight to the manufactures in situations like this and generally they are very customer driven who knows they might be generous and replace it again for you, i've done this in the past and its worked for me... don't know what juwels service is like but try it anyway.. let them know you've had it replaced already because of this problem and it is occuring again

www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/contact.htm

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
27 Feb 2008 17:52 #26 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
P.s. having just been on the Juwel sight they do not have brace bears in their accessories list so i reckon Daragh is right about someone making money out of others misfortunes and if juwel are any good at pr they should sort it out for you, when contacting them be nice but firm.. aquariums ain't cheap

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
29 Feb 2008 13:01 #27 by nomad (pat murphy)
Hi Sheag35,actually sent Juwel an email the other week about the ongoing problems i.e plastic strutt and frame problems regarding the silicone that its fixed with weakening allowing the glass to bow under the pressure of water.I addressed it as a safety concern regarding the Rio 180,s and informed them of the replacement strutts being sold by another website,their reply.......
No.1 that even because of the bulging glass that the tanks were safe.No.2 that replacement brace bars can be purchaced from a local supplier if i was worried and no.3 that i was entitled under the tanks 24 month warranty to bring it back for replacement.
I have done this already and have a similar problem with the replacement so thats 2 tanks in 5 months,fingers crossed especially for the residents of the tank too which give so much pleasure,thanks.....

More
29 Feb 2008 22:12 #28 by Avonmore (Pat Cullen)
My Rio 240 is doing the very same and its 2 months old.Is there any point on returning it if the replacement is going to do the same? I'm not that worried about as glass does bend under preasure but I will be getting worried if it spreads too far.

Pat

More
01 Mar 2008 13:38 #29 by nomad (pat murphy)
Hi Pat,replaceing the tank theres no point really,its not the solution to the problem its the manufacturing design of the Juwel tanks.that needs to be addressed by Juwel themselves.A full refund and the purchace of another tank from a reputable manufacturer that does not sell to the public a problem with a product is the only true option. One that has been tried and tested across the board by fishkeepers themselves and publicised by forum or word of mouth from ownership experience.
Years back i remember Juwel were a bit pricey but had a good name,no longer does this i feel ring true, the amount of feedback regarding problems with there tanks says it all.............

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds