Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Custom tank builders

• russell (russell)
  • russell (russell)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2008 21:12 #1 by russell (russell)
Custom tank builders was created by russell (russell)
Does anyone know of any tank builders
Cheers
Russ

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2008 21:54 #2 by joemc (joe mc)
I think 'fins and things' in middelton cork but not certain.
joemc

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
07 Feb 2008 23:12 #3 by JohnH (John)
Russ,
Either try that suggested option or why on earth don't you buy the glass and make it yourself?
There's plenty of informative assistance to be had online.

Or...failing that, have a word with Platty 252 - if you ask him really nicely he might throw one together for you.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2008 10:36 #4 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Custom tank builders
Hi John

Building one is no problen I have built dozens, It's the price of Glass , Ireland is the most expensive country in Europe for glass,

• pierce (pierce)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2008 11:30 #5 by pierce (pierce)
Replied by pierce (pierce) on topic Re:Custom tank builders
I Think Geread Evans makes them

More
08 Feb 2008 11:52 #6 by umm (karen baker)
Theres a place in Dublin called WATER WORLD. Although I've been trying to get a quote from them but without success so far. They're prob. expensive anyway.

More
08 Feb 2008 21:13 #7 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Russell i can get you a quote, made by clearseal so top quality pm me size!

More
08 Feb 2008 21:18 #8 by Gerard_Evans (Gerard Evans)
if anyone wants price for tanks ring me on 0876623180 or email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
08 Feb 2008 23:28 #9 by sallad (dallas dallaghan)
hi there,,to make it a bit easier for ya the man who owns Fins n Things \"CORK\" Builds custom tanks
but i would say he is very busy at the moment,, so if you dont mind the wait its a good bet!
www.finsnthings.ie
WATERWORLD aquariums build BIG custom tanks for hotels,,spa`s and the likes``` and are an agent for Large acrylic tank company in the UK.... they are pretty expensive but if you want
big tanks this is the company www.waterworldaquariums.com
And finally the cheapest place i have found to supply float glass is Tipperary glass they are a wholesaler but if it is a large tank you might be able to work something out with them
www.tipperaryglass.ie
i hope this helps.

More
08 Feb 2008 23:47 #10 by Gerard_Evans (Gerard Evans)
HOW CAN YOU SAY WE ARE EXPENSIVE TILL AT LEAST YOU GIVE US A CALL

More
09 Feb 2008 00:24 #11 by sallad (dallas dallaghan)
Sorry :blush: if i offended you Gerard,, but i got a price of you \"waterworld\" on a 4x4x4 cube tank 2 years ago and i found it expensive,, i know that the price reflects the height and the tanks you build are excellent but most of your tanks are for commercial application like the ones pictured
on your website and not for low budget fishkeepers
But hey you`ve put together some great tanks

More
09 Feb 2008 03:10 #12 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Must comment on this...not many companys would touch a tank that size!!! Acrylic is expensive, yes, but it is light n strong.... did you get it built n if you did by who!!!

More
09 Feb 2008 03:42 #13 by Gerard_Evans (Gerard Evans)
sallad wrote:

Sorry :blush: if i offended you Gerard,, but i got a price of you \"waterworld\" on a 4x4x4 cube tank 2 years ago and i found it expensive,, i know that the price reflects the height and the tanks you build are excellent but most of your tanks are for commercial application like the ones pictured
on your website and not for low budget fishkeepers
But hey you`ve put together some great tanks

Hi sallad first thing first 2 years ago i worked for the company and i did not make the prices, and second any one in the business will tell you because of the height in glass it is not safe over 3 foot in glass so acrylic is expensive.

Aslo as serratus will tell you if you buy glass or get anyone to make them here in Ireland it reflects in the price. I get some tanks made here in Ireland and others imported. Yes i am an agent for an acrylic company and they can make tanks up to 30 feet long.

I only have taken over the company for the last few months so now i am in a better position to quote prices.

I give people more then one option
ie get it made here in Ireland within 1-2 weeks at a price
Get it imported in 5-6 weeks at another price.

Also for very large tanks imported you have to take into account one transport companies will not deliver large made tanks.

So you have to get large van to collect tank pay for ferry and over night stay, and maybe loose 1 or 2 days work so this is reflected in the price.

I have got acrylic tanks delivered to customers direct from supplier to there door and the customers found them of excellent quality and at a good price.

you say i do not cater for the home user and i only cater for corporate clients this is not true i cater for all users. My old boss was only interested in corporate i am a different person.

call me on 0876623180 any time

regards gerry evans

More
09 Feb 2008 03:45 #14 by Gerard_Evans (Gerard Evans)
Drew thank you for the comment. As i always have done is supported all lfs behind the scenes and you for one always should be supported .

More
09 Feb 2008 03:50 #15 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Cheers Gerry!! You must call up some time to Brittas for a chat/cuppa ,been a while mate ... Have you been in AV2 yet??

More
09 Feb 2008 04:23 #16 by sallad (dallas dallaghan)
hi serratus ,,, in the end i made a 84\"x28\"x24\" that is euro braced and cross braced,,with two weirs \"\"still dream of that 4x4 discus cube\"\" but i think outside a hobbists price range unless your David Saxby

More
09 Feb 2008 04:31 #17 by sallad (dallas dallaghan)
And as i said garard i did not mean to offend you and i am happy to hear that you took over waterworld ,,its good to see you are showing a keen interest in this side of the business and i will defiantly give you a call in the future if i`m looking for anything

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Feb 2008 17:50 #18 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Custom tank builders
Hi Drew

Had a look at the clearseal site and afraid they are way to expensive.. looking for 84 x15 x 18.

More
29 Apr 2009 13:31 #19 by binubk (binu kuzhuveli)
How 18x18x18 inch tanks cost any idea

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds