Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

float glass

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • john gannon (john gannon)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Jun 2008 16:37 #1 by john gannon (john gannon)
float glass was created by john gannon (john gannon)
just wondering do all glass shops sell this or is it usually a special order and does anybody know the price per sq. ft. at the moment
thanks john

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2008 17:20 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
float glass as far as I am aware is just the method which glass is produced. there are many companys producing different types of glass the difference is the chemical mix used.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Jun 2008 19:35 #3 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re:float glass
i didnt realise this ,im looking for 1/2\" aquarium quality glass to construct a tank ,im going to draw up some plans and maybe get some opinions later
thanks john

• Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Jul 2008 21:44 - 03 Jul 2008 21:45 #4 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi all
i spoke to a glass supplier today by phone and got a qoute for both float and laminated glass,im not to sure whether this glass would be good enouh for building an aquiruim.the quote i got was for
2 @ 30\" BY 30\"
1 @ 9\" BY 30\"
1@ 40\" BY 30\"
1 @14\" BY 30\"
1 '48\" BY 24\" ALL 1/2\" THICK
THE QUOTE I GOT WAS 120EURO FOR FLOAT AND 230 FOR LAMINATED,THIS JUST SEEMED VERY CHEAP HENCE THE FEAR THAT IT WOULDNT BE GOOD ENOUGH,ANY OPINIONS WOULD BE WELCOME AS I DONT WANT TO ORDER IT ONLY TO RUN INTO PROBLEMS LATER
THANKS ALOT
JOHN
Last edit: 03 Jul 2008 21:45 by john gannon (john gannon).

More
03 Jul 2008 22:27 #5 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I think there is a difficulty cutting laminated glass unless you have the equipment and I don't think it would be as strong, just that if it breaks it holds together.

The price for the float glass is lower than I would have expected, glass has become very expensive and that does not seem that much for 12mm glass - which is what I assume it is.

I have never built a tank and don't think I would trust myself to build one, so I can't offer any advice, but I know a few people on here have build tanks, I am sure they will be able to help.

More
03 Jul 2008 23:18 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
John that is a great price. The 2@ 30x30 would cost more than that never mind the other pieces.
I would go with the float glass with all polished edges.
They seem like odd measurements. I cant seem to make out a tank with any of the pieces.
What size tank/s are you going for?

When calculating the size of the glass you need to allow for silicone. I deduct 2mm off the side pieces.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Jul 2008 23:43 - 03 Jul 2008 23:47 #7 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi darren
the price is the thing that scares me as it was by phone i dont know whether the guy really understood exactly what im looking for
im hopiing to make a tank out of both plywood and glass,with the sides and front out of glass and the rest from marine or beecha wood ,its going to be like an l shaped tank with a diaginal section at he front instead of squure.the outside measurements are going to be 80\" by 48\" with a window section in the back,its only in the dreaming stage at the minute ,but definitly soon!
Last edit: 03 Jul 2008 23:47 by john gannon (john gannon).

More
04 Jul 2008 22:25 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Sounds verry nice indeed.
Have you taught about bonding the glass to the wood? What will you seal the wood with? I think most of the material for sealing the wood are expensive. It would be good if someone came up with an inexpensive way of doing it.
G4 could be used but you would need to check the price of it. Or you could use fiberglass.
It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Darren.

More
05 Jul 2008 11:51 #9 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re:float glass
It sounds way too cheap to me, I paid euro 6.50 per sq ft (144 sq inches) for 6mm float glass recently. Your looking to at least double that glass thickness for your project maybe 10mm or 12mm so its going to cost a lot more. The tank I made was only small at 65cm x 45cm x 36cm and I think it cost me nearly 90 euro for the glass alone. I used Hennessy glass in Kimmage.

More
11 Aug 2008 15:51 #10 by buleetu (buleetu)
Replied by buleetu (buleetu) on topic Re:float glass
hi there john

i would steer well clear of the local glazier shops if ur buying glass for ur fish tank,.

there is a place in rosemount industrial estate here in blanchardstown called first glass that i get all my glass for tanks and sumps from,they also do drilling etc.., they are about 1/3 of the price of the glass u can buy from a local glazier, glaziers are complete rip offs when ur buying glass for sometihng like a tank,. i priced a pane of glass about 5' by 2' or 3' in 12mm ans i got quoted sometihng around the 150 mark crazy people altogether

just give first glass a call u can get there number form the yellow pages and u can pay cash at the desk, just draw them a small plan of the sizes u want and where u would like the holes for closed loops or overflows and they will work away on it and it should be ready the next day,. i think u would have to go to the office to pay for it though because they mainly deal with glaziers and such on account so its best to keep it quiet when ur talking to a glazier and pay cash at the desk

and no i dont work for them they are just the best place i have found for cost price glass

good luck with your project, take plenty of pictures and post them on this site so others can see how easy and safe it is with a bit of planning and research to make our own tanks and stands,more money for livestock then hahah

kiss my fishy AS S

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds