Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

stand for a 6'x2'x2' aquarium

More
06 Jul 2008 00:57 #1 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi guys this is the size of my new tank:woohoo: , it should arrive at my house within the next week or so, anyone got any ideas or plans on how to build a stand for it??:unsure: :unsure: If so suggestions would be greatly appreciated;) :)
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2008 15:35 #2 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
Just having the same discussion here for a 5x2x2, also in Galway! Railway sleepers. Or 4x4 pine with steel angle to support the length of the tank.

You're talking about nearly a tonne of water and tank. Whatever you build it from, oversize evertything!

If you need a hand lifting. I'm in Galway all next weekend. I'd be happy to assist.

170L Bowfront Community Tank : Heavily planted : CO2 : T5 lighting

More
06 Jul 2008 17:53 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
if it arrives i may take you up on that offer
Seamus

More
06 Jul 2008 18:35 #4 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
I'll be watching this with interest, I had planned on ordering a 5x2x2 in Optiwhite from Aquariums LTD UK but having tried walking around a box that size that we positioned in the intended spot for the new tank, we're revising how big a tank we need. :laugh:

I think a 4 x 1.5 x 1.5 is as big as we'll go this time. A 6x2x2 is enormous.

Where is it coming from, Seamus, if you don't mind me asking?

Aq LTD will only deliver to the front door on a pallet and no more. I live up 3 flights of stairs so that's another reason for down-sizing too!

More
06 Jul 2008 19:05 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
I've ordered it through aquapaws one of the sponsors of this site, it will be delivered to them and i've a mate with a transit to bring it home with me, then a bit of man- handleing and it'll be my dream tank in reality...tanganyikan style

More
06 Jul 2008 20:23 #6 by lampeye (lampeye)
have a look at this thread it might be of use www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.ph...amp;threadid=1169964

lampeye

More
07 Jul 2008 00:12 #7 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
thanks lampeye but unfortuately nobody i know does steel fabrication, thinking of a wood frame using maybe 2x4's is this strong enough or should i be looking at something stronger

More
07 Jul 2008 11:45 #8 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
I would run 4 inch square pine for the full length of the tank at each edge. I'd probably run one down the centre too. I would consider supporting the edge 4x4's with angle steels underneath (but this might be overkill). They could just be bolted through so steel fabrication wouldn't be an issue.

I'd imagine that 6 legs (again from 4 x4) would be enough to support it but i'd brace them a lot.

ps, I'm not a carpenter but if this tank was in my house, I'd overbuild the stand just to be sure

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jul 2008 12:35 #9 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re:stand for a 6'x2'x2' aquarium
I think 4x2 would be fine if you cover it in 3/4 wpb plywood making sure to screw it well which in its self is very structurally sound.i am a carpenter and have seen 4x2 and ply used in a box beam used to hold up roofs
john

More
07 Jul 2008 18:16 #10 by tonycfc (Tony O Connor)
i have the exact same size tank in my sitting room 6*2*2
and basically what i did was got 6 builders bricks,i got these for free from a site

and measure them and cut sheets of wood to suit i think of the top of my head the panels are 600 mm high so 2 ft and then 6.5
ft long, 1 side panel 650mm deep* 2ft high andd your top to whatever lenght by 650 mm deep

and all i need was a front panel,1 side panel as it was going up against walland basically a top to cover the panels and bricks

really easy and super strong

More
07 Jul 2008 22:43 #11 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
sounds like you've finally got your dream tank seamus,best of luck with it,you'll have to post some pictures when you've got it all set up and stocked,i have no doubt it'll be an amazing tank,i'm in galway with access to plenty of power tools,if you need anything give me a shout,its the least i could do after all the help you've given me in the last couple of months

Cheers

Paul

More
08 Jul 2008 00:30 #12 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Thanks Paul for the offer of help, never know i might take you up on it,

to John Gannon, maybe a stupid question but what is 3/4\" WPB plywood never heard of the wpb part before..
Going to do it using the plans on this web page www.garf.org/stand.html
any comments on this or improvements to the plan i'm praying on your expierence as a carpenter here

and to all other suggestions so far thanks for all the comments and suggestions keep them coming i want this tank to be perfectly safe in every way
Seamus

More
08 Jul 2008 07:02 #13 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
sheag35 wrote:

Thanks Paul for the offer of help, never know i might take you up on it,

to John Gannon, maybe a stupid question but what is 3/4\" WPB plywood never heard of the wpb part before..

waterproof board, I think?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jul 2008 13:09 #14 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi seamus
these plans look fine, wpb is waterproof bonded ply and any decent builders merchants will stock it
good luck with your project and keep us all informed!
john

More
09 Jul 2008 16:57 #15 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Thanks John much appreciated was thinking of upgrading the uprights to 4x4 is this overkill or just safer??

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jul 2008 17:54 #16 by john gannon (john gannon)
4x2 should be fine you may find it more difficult to fix 4x4 together
john

More
11 Jul 2008 02:53 #17 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
starting cabinet construction tomorrow, god help my hands, thumbs and head.. thanks for the help guys

More
11 Jul 2008 23:59 #18 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
well seamus,hows the stand coming along,have you still all your fingers and thumbs,whens the new tank arriving

More
12 Jul 2008 01:27 #19 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi Paul, yep i still have my fingers and thumbs so far anyway;) , the stand is coming along slowly but surely, might have to hold off on delivery a week or two didn't realise the amount of junk and aquariums i'd have to move to fit it into my fish room (converted shed):S , but better do it right first time as it'd be a pain in the ass to have to do it again.. this is my dream aquarium... well next to dream aquarium that one would be the 20'x2'x2':ohmy: on offer at neptune aquatics, so want to have everything perfect from the start
Seamus

More
16 Jul 2008 22:40 #20 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
Hi seamus,hope the stand and tank are getting there,hope all the fingers are still there,20'x2'x2',thats some size tank,imagine the house you'd have to build to fit that in your sitting room,

Paul

More
17 Jul 2008 15:24 #21 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Yep it would be big but hell imagine what you could keep in it, stand is coming on slowly but surely work got hectic this week so not as far along as i'd like but still tipping away at it

More
30 Jul 2008 00:12 #22 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
ok i've gotta be honest here, i bailed outta building the stand, not enough hours in the week.. but my other halves brother came to the rescue and fabricated me a stand from 1 1/2\" stainless steel, did a fantastic job, just need a cover board for the top and i have my tank ready to go being delivered next week, have my water maturing in other tanks and big buckets, have filters matured already and continuing to run until transfer to new tank, one week and counting i just can't wait.. fish are being ordered already to help fit it out... not all at once but come over a period of about the next month or two to give the filters more chance to mature once in the big baby... will post pic's when i get it set up...
Seamus

More
30 Jul 2008 12:39 #23 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
nice one seamus,make sure and post the pictures when its filled,sounds like it should be a great tank

Paul

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds