Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

tank on kitchen counter?

More
18 Sep 2008 22:01 #1 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
hi all

i have a perfect corner in my kitchen for a decent tank

there is plenty of natural light in the kitchen
but the location for the tank does not get direct sunlight,

it is the far wall of a kitchen on the countertops,
my hob is 3 feet away and gets plenty of use
im a wannabee chef!

is this an unsuitable location for a tank
would the fish be uneasy with the activity
or just adapt to the dinnertime bustle

it is an active kitchen and gets regular traffic
but the tank would be well out of the way of the kids

i would love to have a tank there as i float
around the kitchen all the time and would get
a lot more enjoyment and interaction with my tank
with it being in the kitchen

rgds

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2008 22:37 #2 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
It shouldn't be a problem.

No direct sunlight is a good thing.

Three feet from the hob should be fine. I believe that the 'safe' distance from a gas fired hob for wooden kitchen fixtures is 70cm (I may be wrong). The heat from the hob should not affect the tank over the short term that you would be using it to cook food.

What sort of space do you have for the tank - what size tank would you be looking at? Are you looking for a corner tank?

Most fish won't be bothered by the activity in the room. Fish get used to their environment, and do see out of their tanks. They are more likely to be more active if there is more activity around them - once they get used to it. I've heard it said that Discus, which are supposed to be particularly sensitive (and are of some things) shouldn't be put in active areas, and I totally disagree. Mine are in the busiest part of the house and keep asking me to change channel so that they can watch Desperate Housewives.

I too would love a tank in the kitchen. Afraid the boss has said no on that one :(

More
19 Sep 2008 07:12 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Sunlinght is more of an issue than the hustle and bustle. Just be careful when putting down saucepans etc on the counter top next to it, a loud bang can surprise the fish but outside of that I cant see any reason why not! My tank in the sitting room gets a regular visit from my pet kitten on a daily basis, trying paw the tank sides as well as prowling up and down watching them, actually all follow her so CJackson is correct that they will adapt to their enviroment easily. Make sure you have a lid for the tank, you dont want an open tank so close to food etc..
What type tank are you getting, and what type fish are you thinking of ?
Im in the middle of setting up my 2nd tank and must admit it looks well! Still cycling but will be ready soon!
Gavin

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2008 08:05 #4 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:tank on kitchen counter?
I've a tank on my kitchen counter, its an Interpet AQ3 - nice & neat with a good fitting hood. It was the hygiene side of things I was more concerned with as you don't want splashes of aquarium water near your food etc.

If I was to do it again I'd buy one of the marine nano cubes for the counter.

The fish arent bothered by the activity, it gets them used to people so they're not shy.

More
19 Sep 2008 10:03 #5 by nonie (leonie troy)
I have my 20l quarentine tank set up on my kitchen counter which is home to about 50 guppy fry. The counter space in the kitchen is quite big so there is no problems. The only thing i have to watch out for is the banging of pots and closing the press doors!!! But if I was setting up a permenant tank I would definately go for a Nano Cube they look great and ideal for small ares.

Any idea what you are going to stock the tank with. it might be an idea to stay away from shy fish such as clown loach etc as they might not adjust to the area they are being kept in (noise, traffic etc).

More
19 Sep 2008 10:35 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Nano cubes are great but abit expensive !
G

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2008 11:43 #7 by 2poc (2poc)
Sure life is for living - go for it :)

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2008 11:43 #8 by 2poc (2poc)
Hmmm I wonder why I have a huge credit card bill......

More
19 Sep 2008 12:00 #9 by nonie (leonie troy)
2Poc I think the large credit card bills is part of fishkeeping!!!!! LOL ;)

More
19 Sep 2008 12:11 #10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Soooooo true and Id rather have a large credit card bill than lots of floating fishes with no movement!!
Now I must start saving again for the next tank!haha! She'd kill me if I arrived home with another! I still have to explain that the quarantine tank is not a tank as such and hence she shouldnt be telling her friends Im obsessed with 3 tanks now!haha!
Gavin

More
05 Oct 2008 22:26 #11 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
hi all

for the hell of it i contacted the people who did my kitchen and asked them if there was any weight issues with a tank on the counter,

the stonemasons who did my tops
got back to them saying that the units under the tops are designed to take the weight of the stone and general appliances, but not the extra bearing of 120+ kilos of tank
and advised against a tank on the countertop

i'm sure that they are simply \"covering their arse\"

my kitchen is well built by a decent company and i would be confident enough that it would take it, its a spread load after all

has anyone got 100-150 litres on kitchen counters?
any experience of pressure showing on the tops/presses

rgds

More
05 Oct 2008 22:41 #12 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I obviously guess it would depend on whats supporting the corner.I am guessing that theres probably nothing right in the back underneath,but there would be 2 uprights as 'walls' to the undercounter cupboards.Do you have access to stick a piece of timber in the back corner,vertically from floor to underside of counter,say a bit of 2x2 or even better 2x4?
When you think about it,what is an aquarium cabinet made of?Usually just a bit of mdf,flatpacked,and with a few wee screws.These hold half a ton or more quite happily,so I don't think a 100-150ltr tank should be too much of a problem,but if you can get a bit of extra support under there it wouldnt hurt.

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
13 Oct 2008 23:12 #13 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
I have a 70ltr sitting in the corner on top of granite worktop, with butcher-block ends, picture a C shape and you have an idea of how it looks. The kitchen units are normally a distance away from the wall wit the worktop flush up to it. So if you can get your kickboards off and squeeze in some 2x2 to add extra vertical support in the coner that's great, of course there is nothing stopping you getting more of the support legs from a kitchen outfitters (Panelling Centre or Brooks Builders Providers) and putting them under, screw them up to act as additional jacks and supports. The whole unit is only as strong as it's weakest part so have a good look at where you reckon the pressure might fall.

At the weekend myself and a friend contructed a unit out of 18mm MDFto fit an unused corner that one housed a bin/sweeping brush. This sits on 4 strut legs and has a metre long top on it flush with the existing granite top and is the place for a 120 if I can get my hands on it. At the moment a 60 ltr sits on it cycling away getting ready for the next intake of LFS product in a few weeks

I am thinking of putting neoprene underneath the tank to forgive any slight balance issues, any thoughts on this or where I could source neoprene 150 cm by 50 cm

Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
31 Oct 2008 11:41 #14 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Hi fourmations
I now have my 120 ltr tank on the unit I built flush with the granite worktops, so with water, substrate etc the whole thing is cycling away and is a decent weight. Before we placed anything on the unit we ensured it was spirit level friendly and just in case we were slightly uneven (you never know with your floors how 100% flat they are or not depending on my old house), we put some artists mounting board underneath the tank, this is kind of a sponge sandwiched material with plastic covering. It can be cut to any size/angle/shape with a decent scissors or stanley knife, have a look downstairs in Reads of Nassau or in ArtnHobby shop, I chose this stuff because you can get it in most colours to match your worktops and also the styrofoam is very tempting to pick at and soon enough you have little balls of white plastic everywhere.

What progress have you made on your project? I'd be happy to help if you need it
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
04 Nov 2008 16:58 #15 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
hi andrew

just noticed your post, i havent been on here in a while

I just got my new tank yesterday so I havent done much

I had a builder look at the area and he reckons its fine
I just need to put a couple of strips of 40mm thick wood
under a couple of points,

that a good idea on using kappaboard as a leveller
i never thought of it, is it strong enough, im very familiar
with the stuff but would have thought it would just crush flat

i was thinking of a fairly dense flooring underlay i have

will keep y'all posted, unless my counter collapses
whereupon her indoors will have my guts!

rgds

More
06 Nov 2008 21:40 #16 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Hi 4, yeah i thought would crush too but surprisingly there is still some bounce in it! You could always double up on the thickness, i guess i was really looking for an alternative to the styrofoam , even the thoughts of cutting and shaping it wrecks my head, christ the noise would put me under !

Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary

More
10 Nov 2008 17:38 #17 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
hi andrew

i found a roll of 2mm polystyrene in homebase for a fiver
so i picked that up,

i havent opened it yet as i fancy your idea better,

the stuff I thought you were talking about is
card with foamy middle, is yours actually plastic?

is it foamy in the middle or ribbed (corriboard)

i have an art n hobby near me, I will drop in when
i get a chance

regards

More
10 Nov 2008 22:31 #18 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Hi 4

it is card with foam on the inside, we got it in Art n Hobby shop in Nutgrove, i think it was about €7.60 for a 1 mtr length, 75 cm wide
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds