Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

apartments and big tanks

More
02 Apr 2009 02:10 #1 by Trimax (Trimax)
Hi guys gonna move to my own apartment later this year. I have a 105 Gallon tank and want a 200+ ! it's a brand new development with concrete floors, It won't be ground floor so just wondering if anyone has experience of big tanks in apartments or upstairs in a house. How big can I go before i'm threatening to collapse the building !!?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2009 06:45 #2 by Zoom (Zoom)
I reckon if its a pre cast concrete floor supported by steel girders which they all are,That If you keep the tank close to the outside wall you should have no problem , that floor would be as strong as a house , (excuse the pun). Biggest problem I see is getting the Tank in , It would have to be made on site. I have a 850 ltr tank made out of 10mm plate glass and there is no way you'll lift a tank that size to tilt and turn it would just be a straight lift also the fact your talking at least 4-6 people just to lift it.

More
02 Apr 2009 06:46 #3 by Sinbad311 (Simon Kennedy)
Howya Trimax,

I'm living in an apartment and have a 200l tank. Its in my sitting room on wooden floors and its fine. Before I added water I used spirit level to make sure it was completely level as I didnt want to put any pressure on the glass.
All is fine, but the only thing I would say is be careful of leaks. One morning the outlet/return pipe from my filter fell off. Luckily I was in the room at the time and got to it before it did ant major damage. If I wasnt there it could have been disastrous for the person below me!!
So I'd advise to make sure tank is level and all connections are on securely.
Then sit back and enjoy your new pad.

Simon

More
02 Apr 2009 12:57 - 02 Apr 2009 13:00 #4 by Trimax (Trimax)
Thats what I was thinking zoom, thanks for the reply. Yeah it's bad enough trying to lift a 400l, takes 2-3 people I can only imagine how heavy your tank is, i'd guess with water it's over the 2 tonne mark I assume your in a house? I plan on assembling on site , placing it at outer wall and fixing the cabinet to the wall for support.

Sinbad thanks for the advice ;) the last thing I want is to shower my new neighbours!
Last edit: 02 Apr 2009 13:00 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
02 Apr 2009 13:34 #5 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
yep, i'd be carfeul of what you may be liable for
if your tank was to leak,

there may be rules attached to the aprtment block
about keeping tanks

rgds

More
02 Apr 2009 14:29 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
i have moved tanks of this size in and out of apartments. I know you said you will be building it on site but if you were to move it the handiest way is to make a flat trolley with 4 wheels that turn. The trolley should be the size of one end of the tank so the tank can stand on it's end and placed on the trolley for moving.
Just make sure it will fit through the door way before trying to move.
Brethon(spelling) slabs (concrete floors) should take this weight. You could contact the original builder of the apartments and find out who the engineer was. He/she will know what weight the floors can take.
As for leaks you could have it added to your home insurance policy to cover any such incident. You could also add water alarms beside each tank. These scream a load siren when they get wet.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2009 19:09 #7 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:apartments and big tanks
+1 on house insurance :-)
Water damage can get expensive very quickly!

Valerie

More
02 Apr 2009 19:50 #8 by Trimax (Trimax)
platty252 wrote:

i have moved tanks of this size in and out of apartments. I know you said you will be building it on site but if you were to move it the handiest way is to make a flat trolley with 4 wheels that turn. The trolley should be the size of one end of the tank so the tank can stand on it's end and placed on the trolley for moving.
Just make sure it will fit through the door way before trying to move.
Brethon(spelling) slabs (concrete floors) should take this weight. You could contact the original builder of the apartments and find out who the engineer was. He/she will know what weight the floors can take.
As for leaks you could have it added to your home insurance policy to cover any such incident. You could also add water alarms beside each tank. These scream a load siren when they get wet.

Good advice there thanks very much! so it is entirely possible to have 800l in a modern apartment. This apartment will be in the new docklands developments near the point (o2), either island key, spencer dock or alexander place. they look well built to me , I will check with the architect or construction company.

More
03 Apr 2009 01:23 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Good advice there thanks very much! so it is entirely possible to have 800l in a modern apartment. This apartment will be in the new docklands developments near the point (o2), either island key, spencer dock or alexander place. they look well built to me , I will check with the architect or construction company.[/quote]

Yes it is possible just double check with the engineer of the build.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds