Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

custom made tnaks

More
30 Jun 2009 22:10 #1 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Hi all,

Is it just me or is Ireland really expensive when it comes to custom made tanks......?

Its a JOKE......

Can anyone give a link to somewhere in the uk that make custom tanks...?

Alan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2009 00:16 #2 by daryn (Darren Mc kenna)
you should talk to gavin in aquapaws in Galway, I heard he is very reasonable with his prices for custom tanks
the number is 091861838.
regards
Darren

More
01 Jul 2009 09:25 #3 by faraday (paul smith)
Yes you right "Ireland is really expensive when it comes to every thing"
even second hand goods.We put to high a value on any thing we want to sell,
Try some of these site's

www.acrylicaquarium.co.uk

www.aquariums.ltd.uk

www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail62_19776.php

petsuppliesfish.co.uk/custom-corner-aquariums-101/

www.justmarine.co.uk/

Or try www.Ebay.co.uk you never know

More
01 Jul 2009 17:54 #4 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
Hy Alan,
totally agree with u.If we as a private person can get goods in the Uk including the postage less than have price than there is something wrong.I often would prefer to buy local and pay slightly more but you get in my opinion not only overcharged - you just get ripped off!!Hopefully i didnt say toooo much;) .Regards,Tim

Midlands - in the heart of Ireland.

Keeping and breeding : Frontosa Blue Zaires , Synodontis Petricola , Tropheus Red Rainbow (Kasanga) , Tropheus Moliro . Regulary fry for sale.
Community tank with P.Kribensis and different livebearers.

More
01 Jul 2009 20:08 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
well i got my 6x2x2 from Gavin and Peter in Aquapaws for a very reasonable price .....by comparison to some prices i was quoted it was about 50% less, so i now deal with them almost exclusively for my tanks and must say i've never felt ripped off by them... yes they are a far way from me (limerick to Galway) but i saved on the price and got some great fish there too... just shows the deals you can get if you shop around ;) some shops do charge way too much imho, but then we dont know what rates rent etc their paying so cant really comment on them.. but if you shop around you will get the deals

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
01 Jul 2009 20:35 #6 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
Hy Seamus,
You know i bought my last two tanks of them,too.Got a deal which was fair-so they got the deal.(others up by 50%,yes 50%:woohoo:) Thats what i meant with the previous post.I have a long way,too-Midlands.Regards,Tim

Midlands - in the heart of Ireland.

Keeping and breeding : Frontosa Blue Zaires , Synodontis Petricola , Tropheus Red Rainbow (Kasanga) , Tropheus Moliro . Regulary fry for sale.
Community tank with P.Kribensis and different livebearers.

More
01 Jul 2009 20:44 #7 by alkiely (alan kiely)
If i could keep it local i would but with some of the prices ive got well lets say i was abit rude over the phone to this one person and said " you must be fu*kin joking "

But i have heard from other people that gavin in aquapaws is the person to go to for custom tanks.

Id give it ago myself but not nothing over 3ft long was thing along the lines of a 6x2x2 or 7x2x2 but it wont be for a while yet its on my to do list.

Alan

More
01 Jul 2009 21:01 - 01 Jul 2009 21:02 #8 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Just got an e-mail back now from a company in the UK on a tank 72"x24"x24"10mm thick glass and its braced for 294 sterling :ohmy: ill have to collect it but thats not an issue.

Alan
Last edit: 01 Jul 2009 21:02 by alkiely (alan kiely).

More
03 Jul 2009 11:35 - 03 Jul 2009 11:41 #9 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Got the full price back today

Got a price on a 6x2x2 tank in Scotland for 294 sterling, made of 10mm thick glass.

Sump: 4 x 1.5 x 1.5 for 86 sterling

Also got a price for 2 weirs two pumps and the pluming kit all at 191 sterling

pluming kits inculed: ABS Plumbing kit for up to a 1800mm tank with two 55mm hole Weirs.
Kit contains:

2 x 0214 Tank Connector,
2 x 0144 1-1/2in Long Sweep Elbow,
4 x0124 1-1/2in Normal Elbow,
2 x 0119 1-1/2in Spray Bar,
3 x 0114 1-1/2in
Pipe 3mtr, 5 x 0164 1-1/2in Connector,
5 x 0112 1in Pipe 5mtr, 8 x 0122
1in Normal Elbow,
5 x 0162 1in Connector,
2 x 0118 1in Beak, ....................? what are they ...................?
2 x 0222 1in............................? what are they ...................?
Hose Fitting, 1 x 0230 Solvent.
Please note: Ball valve not supplied with
this kit.

Sounds like a little over kill, i could do the pluming myself......

So tank : 294
Sump : 86
Pluming : 191

all in for 570 sterling or 672 Euro
Last edit: 03 Jul 2009 11:41 by alkiely (alan kiely).

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds