Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Planning a new tank

More
08 Aug 2009 21:00 #1 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Hi all,

Im planning my new tank 60 x 24 x 24 with a sump. Gonna keep South Americans. Ive got a few prices and its looking like ill get the go ahead:woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Making my own cabinet from 4x4 and then gonna take a trip to ikea for some good old flat pack to cover the 4x4 frame.

It will be a couple of months before ill get the tank, have my girlfriends b-day and my little girls first b-day all in the next 6 weeks.

So ill get cracking on the frame soon, maybe in the next two weeks or so.

4X4 should be fine for the tank.....?

Alan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2009 21:49 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Alan how litres will that hold ?

More
09 Aug 2009 00:25 #3 by tommyt (tommy tee)
handy tool for volume cacl.

scroll down for Metric

www.petfish.net/calculators/calculate.php

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

More
09 Aug 2009 03:42 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
4x4 will be more than adequate for the job.. Best of luck with the project hope all works out for you, and your a wise man looking after the other half and child first, then you can get yourself a pressie too so you dont feel left out ;)

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
09 Aug 2009 07:03 - 09 Aug 2009 07:13 #5 by alkiely (alan kiely)
If i didnt look after them first id be a dead man, this way i look all thoughtful and caring shes happy i cant loose;) .

Gavin i used the link tommyt post and it said 495l, waiting on an e-mail about the size of the sump the standard one is 39 x 18 x 17 which is abit big, and im not getting the cabinet so dont no the price of the sump id say another £80 or so

Alan
Last edit: 09 Aug 2009 07:13 by alkiely (alan kiely).

More
09 Aug 2009 11:38 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
tommyt wrote:

handy tool for volume cacl.

scroll down for Metric

www.petfish.net/calculators/calculate.php

That site is American and refers to American gallons, which are smaller than UK gallons.

60x24x24 inches of glass would be roughly 60x24x20 water equals 104 UK gallons or 473 litres.

4x4 should be fine, but it depends on the construction design, 3x2 would do if it was built corectly and securely.

Daragh

More
09 Aug 2009 11:44 #7 by alkiely (alan kiely)
The plan was to make the legs ( 6 or 8 ) and the top frame from 4x4 and the the lower part holding the sump from 3x2. Its works out at round 60ft of timber thank god timber is cheap at the minute.

Just on the sump its for tropical ( marines at some stage )what media would best best for the sump and how what i set it up....?

Alan

More
09 Aug 2009 13:19 - 09 Aug 2009 13:28 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
you can use whatever media you like in it, something like efisynth for prefilter chamber, then mech., or bological media, then filter pads to polish or even fine sand like the type used in diatom filters as the last stage, the choice is yours, plus a sump is a great way of keeping heaters etc., out of the main tank.. Hope all goes well
this might give you an idea re sump setup
www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Uthup_Sump_Filter.html

as for the stand
saltaquarium.about.com/od/diystandscabin...inet_Stand_Plans.htm

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
Last edit: 09 Aug 2009 13:28 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie). Reason: adding links

More
09 Aug 2009 23:31 #9 by alkiely (alan kiely)
One of the reasons i went for the sump was so i can hide everything out of sight and for when i go marines in the future.

More
28 Aug 2009 14:53 #10 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Ive started the cabinet......:woohoo: all the wood is cut to size and just waiting on a few small bits before i put it together.

Ive picked out the doors, dark high gloss grey doors with black high gloss sides and black work top and kick board.

Its gonna have 3 doors 500mm each, the over all size will be 1510mm x 600mm x 800 high.

For lights...... was gonna make my own but wouldnt know were to start on that side, was looking at the juewl 150cm T5 unit and then mod it to fit into my own unit.

I just wondering on the juwel unit its gonna be narrow as ir build for the juwel tanks not one 2ft wide would it be hard to extand the with of the unitor would i have to....? and is two 54watt tubes enough for a 500l tank....?

Alan

More
28 Aug 2009 19:40 #11 by Mick0075 (Michael OSullivan)
You should drop into seahorse aquatics, they have very good deals on second hand T5 lighting units that they had on their display tanks but no longer use I bought two of them for my 4 foot tank and they work a treat

Mick

More
28 Aug 2009 19:50 #12 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Quite keen to hear how much the doors and flat pack costs,will be building cabinets myself shortly.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
31 Aug 2009 17:13 #13 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Cheers for that mick would save me some hasle and money.

Not sure on the prices from ikea they never gave me the price on the doors just on a full cabinet which is no use for what im doin, the only problem with ikea is that there are only 3 colours avaible red, white and black

The high gloss doors are gonna work out around 40 notes per door which are 500mm x 715mm but they are the polyuratain doors not the foil wrapped doors which are useless. The end bits are 840mm x 640mm not sure if ill get high gloss ends yet, depends on the funds i have.

Ill post pics of the frame over the next few days, then when im happy with the frame ill buy the doors etc.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds