Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Plywood tanks

More
27 Oct 2009 14:01 #1 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Hi, just wondering if anyone on here has made a plywood tank with a glass front. There's a few plans, videos and instructionals online about them.
I think they look the business and I'm thinking about making a few.
I just wonder about the price and availability of epoxy paint and glue and if it raises the price into the full glass tank range.
I would also like to know how well they last or any potential problems to watch out for.

Thanks,

Jaffcakehead.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2009 18:34 - 29 Oct 2009 18:36 #2 by Steveo (Stephen Forster)
I havent made one myself but ive been researching into the idea for awhile now?! I want to make a large tank because i was quoted like 2000e+ for an 8' tank! Theres no-way im paying that especially the way things are at the moment? It will defo work out cheaper if you make a plywood tank yourself rather than buying a large tank!!!

If i were you, id go onto monsterfishkeepers.com and go to the diy section and look at some of the lads/ladies projects on there! Some of them are incredible! You shouldnt have any longevity problems with the epoxy coating as long as you over do it slightly! I heard some people like to put a few coatings of fiberglass on before the epoxy just to over do it! Sanding it after each coat drys!!! Its simple sealing the glass to the front as well?! Just be careful when filling it with water, do that outside first and maybe give it a couple of days just to make sure there are no leaks?!

Goodluck with your project if you go ahead with it! Keep us updated :o)

Steveo
Last edit: 29 Oct 2009 18:36 by Steveo (Stephen Forster).

More
30 Oct 2009 19:51 #3 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
I think the bigger the tank then the more economical it is to use plywood.

My plan is to make lots of them for a fish house. I reckon I could build them all in nicely.

I'm going to have to buy the materials over a few months and then hopefully I'll post pics of the whole construction process and the finished fish house.

It'll have to be a nice job because I'll be practically living in it once its completed. :laugh: :laugh:

More
31 Oct 2009 19:11 #4 by convict84 (sean farrell)
i can make you a wbp plywood tank of any size you want,the material is deer,i wont charge you much,btw im a cabinet maker

More
31 Oct 2009 20:13 #5 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
No thanks Convict. I'll enjoy making them myself.

You never know though, there could be other people on this site that might take you up on your offer.

It could be a whole new business for you.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds