Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Custom Tank?

More
26 Jan 2007 06:32 #1 by Darren (Darren)
Custom Tank? was created by Darren (Darren)
Anyone know how to go about getting a custom tank made in dublin/ireland?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jan 2007 06:48 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Custom Tank?
What size are you looking for?

More
26 Jan 2007 06:58 #3 by Darren (Darren)
Replied by Darren (Darren) on topic Re: Custom Tank?
Height: 65cm
Width: 180cm
Depth: 27cm

• Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jan 2007 08:15 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Strange size, Fin´s and things in Midleton do custom made tanks. 65cm high requires 12mm glas wheras 60 cm only requires 10mm glas which makes it a lot cheaper

More
26 Jan 2007 08:19 #5 by Darren (Darren)
Cool well the height can be variable. Only the width and length are the main things. Have a long unit in my hallway which I'm thinking of putting the tank on

How much would something like this cost? How hard is it to make yourself if you get the glass cut to size?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jan 2007 09:03 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Hi Darren,
I tried to get the glas for my 200*60*50 tank. It was cheaper to buy the ready made tank (550€).
You cannot use regular glas but you will need floatglas. Regular glas at a tank the size you are thinking of will make everything look green.

If you never siliconed a tank that size I would strongly suggest that you first try your hand at a smaller tank. 315 l is a lot of water to be getting under your floorboards. The glass could also break and seriously injure somebody

Holger

• Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jan 2007 09:27 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Almost forgot. Are you suggesting to put a 300l+ tank on a piece of furniture not specifically designed as a stand for a tank.

No go area. Broken furniture+broken tank+plenty of water unless your piece of furniture can handle around 900lbs

More
26 Jan 2007 09:32 #8 by Darren (Darren)
My father is a cabinet maker. The unit is deff strong enough to support the tank. He's the one looking for the tank

He made the stand for the Rio 240 so I reckon he's sure the unit will support the tank

More
26 Jan 2007 09:41 #9 by Darren (Darren)
Ok thanks for the tip. Any idea if there are places in dublin that make custom tanks?

I'm a bit concerned about the depth of the tank. I think it will look good being so long but the unit isnt very wide. My 240 litre is for mbuna so I'll prob look at some haps or some other bigger fish that swim around the middle of the tank

• Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jan 2007 10:32 #10 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
how about altums?

More
26 Jan 2007 18:26 #11 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Darragh gime me a ring if you want a DIY or if you want me to help you build your own.

• Ballabooyeah (Ballabooyeah)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jul 2007 08:13 #12 by Ballabooyeah (Ballabooyeah)
Replied by Ballabooyeah (Ballabooyeah) on topic Re: Custom Tank?
I have seen some of the tanks that Fins and things have made and they are great.

More
30 Jul 2007 09:36 #13 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Replied by Dave (Dave Fallon) on topic Re:Custom Tank?
Can get you a quote from Clearseal..Can do almost any tank up to 12'x3'x3'. Give me a shout if you need any more help.

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
30 Jul 2007 17:46 #14 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
apistodiscus wrote:

Strange size, Fin´s and things in Midleton do custom made tanks. 65cm high requires 12mm glas wheras 60 cm only requires 10mm glas which makes it a lot cheaper

Do you have a chart of link you can share on the type and thickness of glass for various tank sizes. It would be handy to have on the site somewhere.

More
06 Aug 2007 00:34 #15 by fins (fins)
Replied by fins (fins) on topic Re: Custom Tank?
This may help

6mm glass up to 450mm high

8mm glass up to 500mm

10mm glass up to 600mm

12mm glass up to 700mm

15mm glass up to 800mm

19mm glass up to 950mm

Hieght is water eg. from top of base to underside of bracing

Base thickness should be increased in thickness if depth is more than hieght

Silicone is only good for tanks up to 900mm high after that frame work is normally required.

Toughened glass may be used to reduce some of the above thicknesses but it is cheaper to go up a size of glass.

Hope this is some help and I won,t be held responsible for any expolding tanks based on the above.:ohmy:

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Aug 2007 04:04 #16 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Custom Tank?
Pm Gerry Evans who is the owner of Waterworld Aquariums.They have installed hundreds of tanks all over Ireland.

More
08 Aug 2007 21:26 #17 by Darren (Darren)
Thanks for the replies lads. The custom tank is on hold until probably next year now. In the process of setting up a small community tank and two tanks are all I can manage at the moment and probably for the next year (final year in college). I'll definitely be coming back to the idea of a custom tank though. I have a great idea for a really nice tank in the sitting room. Built into a cabinet. Will look at the possibility of it next year. Thanks again

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds