Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Chip or Crack? which is worse?

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2010 17:43 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
Chip or Crack? which is worse? was created by stretnik (stretnik)
Which is worse, a chip in a Glass panel or a crack?

Kev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2010 17:55 #2 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
guessing a crack kev, thinking it has a bigger potential to get worse than a chip

More
13 Feb 2010 17:59 #3 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Could we have a few more details?

A chip away from an edge could easily become a crack.

I have lots of chipped tanks especially around the edges of home made tanks, these are no harm from a water holding point of view, though may be finger unfriendly, but I would not put water in a cracked tank!

Daragh

More
13 Feb 2010 18:14 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
def a crack, chips may spread but a with a crack any change in pressure and it could be bathtime for your room

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2010 18:15 - 13 Feb 2010 18:17 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Chip or Crack? which is worse?
Hi Daragh,

The Tank has a chip that is still flush but visible, ie, the Glass fragment is still in place, if you put liquid on top of it, capillary action causes the liquid to be sucked into it and the chip disappears, it is located on the edge where two panes meet. If you rub your finger along it, it is noticeable. There are no visible cracks radiating from it.

Hope that's a bit better re info.

Kev.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2010 18:17 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
13 Feb 2010 18:32 #6 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Good question!

personally i look at it
A crack is dangerous to fish and people
A chip is dangerous to people

a chip can either be filled with sealant or putty

A crack can be fixed by sealing a new small piece of glass in side remember before placing new glass to give it a lick of an oil stone to remove any dangerous edges and as an extra precaution totally seal.

and always but something like polystyrene under the tank to protect it from harm also helps to spread weight which also helps avoid cracks.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
13 Feb 2010 21:08 #7 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
A chip I could live with, mabey, depends where it is but I would keep a close eye on it. I agree with Darragh though, I would chuck a cracked one.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2010 21:27 #8 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Chip or Crack? which is worse?
Cheers, I'll post a pic tomorrow, hopefully it'll make things clearer.

Kev.

More
14 Feb 2010 00:15 #9 by glassworks (keith)
if you sand the edges of the chip you stand a good chance of it not running to a crack,gently does it tho.

More
14 Feb 2010 02:19 #10 by JohnH (John)
I have several chips missing from tanks too.

My suggestion would be to lower the water level to below the chip and than (after thoroughly cleaning it) cover the area with Aquarium silicone. If it isn't leaking now it should be OK to not even do this, but I was only thinking about the chance a fish might damage itself on the glass sliver if it worked itself loose (not really likely) or if you might hurt yourself on it doing any maintenance.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
14 Feb 2010 16:18 #11 by Ma (mm mm)
cracks def worse as already saud they grow with vibration from road traffic music ect, used to be a glazier meself, always replace a cracked panel or you are eventually looking at trouble generally. As for chips, dept of the chip is the important bit, too deep and the pressure and vibration will crack the glass. Minor chips, most small chips are fine, as said use emery cloth or same to smooth so you dont take a knuckle off when doin maint.

Mark

Location D.11

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds