Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What size tank for upstairs

More
02 Mar 2010 15:30 #1 by dan (Danny)
Hi All

Anyone know what size tank is safe to go upstairs in a house without coming down through the ceiling. Its chipboard with semi-solid flooring on top.

A rough estimate would be good!!

Cheers
Danny

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2010 15:44 - 02 Mar 2010 15:44 #2 by upthedeise (jp molloy)
I am no engineer but I think a good way of gauging it is by working out what your bathtub will weigh with somebody( or even two somebodies ;) ) in it.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2010 15:44 by upthedeise (jp molloy).

More
02 Mar 2010 15:48 #3 by sparky (sparky)
Hey Danny,

it would depend on how you have the tank set up. if you put it accross a few joists, you could probably get away with a rather large tank, as the weight would be distributed over a larger area... I know my brother has a Vision 180 in his bedroom without any issues.

-Brian

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

More
02 Mar 2010 16:02 #4 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
hi danny
you will have no prob setting up a 4ft tank as it will be spread across 4 joists
as long as you find out which way the joists are running;) front to back or side to side of the house
the fact that you have flooring as well as chipboard makes it even stronger

rgds

More
02 Mar 2010 16:13 #5 by sparky (sparky)
mossy wrote:

hi danny
you will have no prob setting up a 4ft tank as it will be spread across 4 joists
as long as you find out which way the joists are running;) front to back or side to side of the house
the fact that you have flooring as well as chipboard makes it even stronger

rgds

Just FYI, Joists are normally run the shortest distance psooible, which in most 3 bed semi houses is side to side (as there is a supporting wass in the middle) but you should double check before doing anything!!

-Brian

More
02 Mar 2010 16:21 #6 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Just FYI, Joists are normally run the shortest distance psooible, which in most 3 bed semi houses is side to side (as there is a supporting wass in the middle) but you should double check before doing anything!!

-Brian

With the amout of mickey mouse builders YE HA:woohoo: :woohoo: throwing up houses over the last few years i would double check the direction of your joists. You could also put down some ply under the tank to spread out he load more but as somebody already said the chipboard you have already down will help with this.

What size tank were you hoping to get upstairs??/

Jeff

More
02 Mar 2010 16:26 #7 by sparky (sparky)
gerryberry wrote:

With the amout of mickey mouse builders YE HA:woohoo: :woohoo: throwing up houses over the last few years i would double check the direction of your joists.
Jeff

Cowboys Ted, They're all a bunch of cowboys!!!! :woohoo:

More
02 Mar 2010 16:30 #8 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
i wouldn,t even insult a cowboy with some of the s**t building work i have seen over the last few years;) ;) the gas thing is that they got away with it, no inspectors no standards but hey who cares anyway!!!!!

More
02 Mar 2010 16:57 #9 by sparky (sparky)
LOL, yea, thats why the house i just bought was built 30 years ago... at least i know its solid!!!

More
02 Mar 2010 18:07 #10 by tom3179 (Tomasz Roj)
i have upstairs in my room: rio 240, rio 125 and one small tank 54l.
the flor is good enough, stands under tanks are taking away tensions... Anyway probably any woman have heavier wardrobes in many houses and floors are still OK B) and they don't ask for permission to buy more clothes :P

More
02 Mar 2010 19:37 #11 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
I keep a 125ltr and a 60ltr in a room upstairs. No snags yet, but make sure the tank is level as a breach upstairs is bad news...

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Mar 2010 19:45 - 02 Mar 2010 19:47 #12 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:What size tank for upstairs
When you consider the house water tank in the attic the one that supplies the house in other words, it is very heavy .... just as long as the tank spans the joists and, preferably you have a flat base, not those black round plastic thingies digging into your floor, floor boards, plywood then chipboard my preferences in that order.

Kev
Last edit: 02 Mar 2010 19:47 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
02 Mar 2010 20:14 #13 by dan (Danny)
I'm thinking something around the 200L mark

from what i gather 1 ltr = 1 kg + the weight of the tank, stand rock and sand, so would probably total 250kg or just under 40 stone

As everything in the house is either re-plastered or floored, i'll get a lend of a stud finder to make sure, or she'll do her nut if i start pulling things apart, i'm already in the dog house about getting a second tank :)

Your right the joists normally run the shortest length but better to make sure, its a lot of weight that may be in the same place for a while

Cheers for all the responses

More
03 Mar 2010 12:31 #14 by newrossman (newrossman)
Please make sure you tell home insurance company, the will not pay if not told!

Reef 55 Gallons

More
03 Mar 2010 14:32 #15 by dan (Danny)
newrossman wrote:

Please make sure you tell home insurance company, the will not pay if not told!

do they add to your premium

More
09 Mar 2010 01:20 #16 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
I might be of some assistance on this topic, being a carpenter helps ha. You should be fine wit a 200ltr as the other lads stated spreading the tank over the space of a few joists and id suggest keeping the tank on an external wall rather than the middle of the house, also a stud finder wont help u as it beeps wen near timber and if you put it on a timber floor it will jus keep beeping ha:laugh: but if you kept the tank in the corner between 2 external walls you'll be fine. B)

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds