Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fluval Osaka 260

More
05 Mar 2010 00:33 #1 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Hi Lads
I was looking to buy a rio 180 but came across the Osaka. what a tank!
But i heard from a LFS that they heard of one bursting and a friend of mine heard of one going pop aswell

Anyone else got a horror story about one?

Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2010 17:44 #2 by Dioza (Adam Bell)
I came across a dude on youtube with the same tank and he turned it into something very nice!

www.youtube.com/user/VadoVoodoo

Thats his page. But if you heard of them failing maybe a little research and see if others had the problem. Specially if you have children, 260L is alot of pressure to be unleashed at once. They are a lovely tank.

More
05 Mar 2010 17:51 #3 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Thanks Dioza

Yeah iv seen his video's his tank looks great did you see the one on his water changes very good

Thanks for the reply

Mark:)

More
05 Mar 2010 17:53 #4 by Nozebleed (Anders Van Cranlers)
i have a fluval 260...it's a great tank. really ties the room together! looks really attractive as a nice piece of furniture. I have heard stories about curved glass being weak...but i dont really buy it.. i ve seen all sorts of tanks crack and break...tanks dont just explode..there tends to be a good reason. such as small cracks,bad bracing or water levels way off...like my floor at the moment! the sealing on fluval tanks is of the highest standard. I would be careful not to crack a stone or bang a chair off the curved area but the glass is 10m thick. its not gona break easy.

if you are going to buy one...do.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2010 20:45 #5 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Fluval Osaka 260
I have the 150 litre Osaka, was trying to sell if for ages but couldn't shift it at all..
Very cool looking tank.

It has a scratch on the front pane, I'm going to have a go at taking out the scratch then put it up for sale again.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2010 20:46 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Fluval Osaka 260
If you are successful repairing the scratch, please post details.

Kev.

More
06 Mar 2010 01:08 #7 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Hi Nozebleed

Hows the tank for ware and tare because i was looking at a display tank in a shop and the handles were hanging off.looked a bit flimsy:unsure:

Mark

More
06 Mar 2010 11:12 #8 by Nozebleed (Anders Van Cranlers)
yeah i know what you mean...they are light wight aluminium but as long as you fix the handles to the door properly they're be fine. greta thhing is you dont have to use them. you can buy door knobs and attach them if you really wanted.

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2010 15:05 #9 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re:Fluval Osaka 260
Nozebleed wrote:

yeah i know what you mean...they are light wight aluminium but as long as you fix the handles to the door properly they're be fine. greta thhing is you dont have to use them. you can buy door knobs and attach them if you really wanted.

They have sorted this on the new ones now I have heard. The handle wraps around the edge of the door and is screwed to the back aswell.

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2010 15:17 #10 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
dickiedocker wrote:

Thanks Dioza

Yeah iv seen his video's his tank looks great did you see the one on his water changes very good

Thanks for the reply

Mark:)

I do my water changes like this and it works an absolute dream!... to remove water from the tank I connect a hose to the outlet of the external and run it straight into the sink. To refil the tank I put a clean bucket in the sink and and turn on the tap to fill the bucket half way. I then drop in a power head with the hose attached to it running into the tank. I leave the tap running so that the bucket doesn't empty with the powerhead going.

... That way I can do a 25 or 30% water change on a 260L tank in about 15 minutes with no mess, no spills and an absolute minimum of effort! Altough in fairness the tank is only about 10 feet away from the kitchen sink as I'm in an apartment so that makes it easier. Way more handy than siphoning into buckets!... might make a video to demonstrate.

More
06 Mar 2010 16:16 #11 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
What!! New ones..where can i go to see one of these?have you got any web site's i can see and please do make a vid on your water change

Mark

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2010 17:51 #12 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
dickiedocker wrote:

What!! New ones..where can i go to see one of these?have you got any web site's i can see and please do make a vid on your water change

Mark

Adrian in Petstop was telling me. I haven't seen them. I doubt they would be sold as a different model... just ironing out the "glitches" such as the door handles.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds