Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

crack in tank, can it be fixed?

More
09 Mar 2010 00:51 #1 by lesleyanndunn (lesley dunn)
I bought a second hand 4ft tank tonight.

got it home and as we were getting it out of the car, it hit the tow bar

can it be fixed? was thinking about replacement glass cut to size and being sealed into place on the inside?

I have included some pics so you can see the crack. its the left hand side panel near the bottom.

hopefully it can be salvaged

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2010 01:00 #2 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Thats terrible sorry to hear it, im sure your gutted. I wouldnt imagin it could be fixed its a very big crack:( i had a small leak in my tank before but it was only a hairline crack in the base and i was able to seal it. Maybe someone else might be able to offer some light on the topic. Bet of luck.

More
09 Mar 2010 01:04 #3 by lesleyanndunn (lesley dunn)
the pic is a close up, does make the crack look bit larger than it actually is.

the widest part of the crack is about 5inches

More
09 Mar 2010 01:12 #4 by JohnH (John)
Lesley,
I have repaired cracks like this before by doing exactly what you suggest.

I trimmed out the silicone inside first, then inserted the 'inner' piece of glass with silicone between the two surfaces, making sure that all the cracks were fully covered with it. The inner should be firmly pressed into place until the silicone sets.
Then I ran a fillet of silicone between the 'new' end and the existing back, bottom and front.
This worked for me but to be sure fill it after slowly and preferably outdoors to be on the safe side.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it progresses if you do go ahead.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
09 Mar 2010 01:20 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I would say that you'd be best getting the old pane taken out and replaced.

It's too near the bottom and right where it joins the other side. A repair job may not work, so remove that uncertainty is probably the best option; and a repair job that would work may even cost you just as much of getting the tank looking like new again.

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
09 Mar 2010 01:28 #6 by lesleyanndunn (lesley dunn)
we were going to put replacement glass on inside and outside?

that would fully cover up the crack and make very strong and waterproof?

More
09 Mar 2010 01:31 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Your best bet is to carefully remove the broken piece and replace it.

Stand the tank up on its good end with the damaged end up in the air. This will make it easier to work on.
It is important you place something in the tank on the far end, the end that is now on the floor. Something like a big towel placed in a bag. This is to prevent any of the broken glass falling and breaking the other end of the tank.

Get one of those scrapers that hold a stanly blade in the top.
Keeping this flat against the glass and slide this along the edge of the silicone forcing it behind the silicone to remove it. You will want to come at the silicone from both sides.
You need to do this on all the silicone to be removed, front, back and bottom of tank.

With this bead of silicone removed the glass will still be stuck.
You will then need a good stanly knife and push the blade between the glass to break to seal. Be careful doing this. Both the knife and the glass could inflict serious injury if your hand slips.

Once the glass is removed clean off any remaining silicone with a blade.
Then stick your replacement piece of glass in to place remembering to put a bead of silicone on the 3 sides were the glass meet. A bead on the insides and your done.
Well nearly done. I would put the tank outside on some Styrofoam after a couple of days and fill it to check for any possible leaks.

I hope this makes sense.

More
09 Mar 2010 02:03 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
agree totally with platty on this one, cut it out and replace it

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
09 Mar 2010 02:13 #9 by lesleyanndunn (lesley dunn)
thanks guys, we've decided to replace the panel

will be a cleaner job as well and totally get rid of the crack

just lucky that the tank is salvagable.

will let yas know when we're doing it, and will be back for more advice!B)

More
09 Mar 2010 02:28 #10 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Good luck with it.
Just in case you hadn't taught of it you need to use aquarium safe silicone. You should be able to get it in your LFS or off one of the sponsors.

More
09 Mar 2010 12:07 #11 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
hi there . Just thought i would let you know , there is a very handy tool available for removing silicon . I got one recently in b&q for a few form and found it very handy . Its also made completely from plastic so much safer than sharp blades . Hope this is a help

More
09 Mar 2010 13:00 #12 by JohnH (John)
lesleyanndunn wrote:

thanks guys, we've decided to replace the panel

will be a cleaner job as well and totally get rid of the crack

just lucky that the tank is salvagable.

will let yas know when we're doing it, and will be back for more advice!B)

I think in the light of subsequent replies you have chosen the right option.

I have effected repairs in the manner I described, only ever 'end' repairs though, but in all honesty they never looked anything other than 'botched' - which is fine for in a Fish House, or Fishroom but not particularly attractive in a 'display' environment.
If you follow platty's guidelines you should be fine.
I would just add something which he has omitted - after you have the glass cleaned of unwanted old silicone you should rub the glass over with something to remove the oily residue there might be from your fingerprints, silicone is very reluctant to adhere to anything the least bit oily. As detergent is undesirable to fish-life I have found that Methylated Spirits on a clean cloth does the job pretty well.
Hope this helps,
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds