Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

blue backround

More
16 Mar 2010 09:28 #1 by tippstar (colm norris)
looking for advise

i am thinking about having the back of my aquarium blue. what is the best way to go about this. Do people paint the back or do people use the posters found in shops or can you get viynl.

also i was thinking of camouflaging the filter box too in the same colour.

whats the best way.

thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2010 10:01 #2 by Tetra (Tetra)
Replied by Tetra (Tetra) on topic Re:blue backround
There was a place in town close to the ambassador that print signs they have allot of vinyl of different colors guy in there is good threw me two yards of blue sticky backed vinyl for free.Filter box im not to sure about maybe a few plants around it.

More
16 Mar 2010 10:01 #3 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Paint is fine but permanent. Posters give you the option to go with something different if you get bored with how it looks.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2010 10:03 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:blue backround
Use the Vinyl backing using vegetable oil, you can google this, I used a product called Seaview Gel.

www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/p...lay.cfm?pcatid=18280

cgi.ebay.com/SEAVIEW-AQUARIUM-FISH-TANK-...UE-GEL-/280466746219
I don't think it's available here but is online.

For your Filter you could try some slate cut to the same dimensions and Siliconed in place.

Kev.

More
16 Mar 2010 10:37 #5 by tippstar (colm norris)
cheers for all the ideas. can i paint the filter box or would it be better to stick viynl to if. Can i use that sea view glue on the inside of the tank as its non toxic. the tank is empty at the moment so want to get it set up right before i fill it

cheers

More
16 Mar 2010 10:40 #6 by sparky (sparky)
Replied by sparky (sparky) on topic Re:blue backround
stretnik wrote:

Use the Vinyl backing using vegetable oil, you can google this, I used a product called Seaview Gel.

For your Filter you could try some slate cut to the same dimensions and Siliconed in place.

Kev.

Seaview is definatly avaiable to buy over here... Mind you, not too sure where you can get it!!!

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

More
16 Mar 2010 10:41 #7 by Tetra (Tetra)
Replied by Tetra (Tetra) on topic Re:blue backround
Wouldn't paint or use sea view any were inside the tank even if it says its non toxic why not remove the internal filter box completely and go with an external you'll have a clean looking tank

More
16 Mar 2010 10:42 #8 by Peteemax (Pete Maxwell)
Hi Tippstar i used sea view for my backround.
I don't think it would work inside as its like baby oil.
You could use a silicone (fish safe) to stick the poster to the filter.

Pete Maxwell

ITFS Member

More
16 Mar 2010 10:44 #9 by Peteemax (Pete Maxwell)
sparky wrote:

stretnik wrote:

Kev.

Seaview is definatly avaiable to buy over here... Mind you, not too sure where you can get it!!!

I have seen it in lots of shops.

Pete Maxwell

ITFS Member

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2010 12:07 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:blue backround
Seaview Gel is for outside the Aquarium. Don't put the Vinyl on the Filter, it will be a nightmare. Any oil toxic or otherwise should never, ever enter the Aquarium....

Kev.

More
16 Mar 2010 16:55 #11 by MagiC (Maciek Czarnota)
you could use blue pond paint to paint the filter box.peter in aquapaws has some in stock i think.
send him PM- i think he's Mbuna at the forum here.
good luck with the tank.

Maciek

More
18 Mar 2010 12:05 - 18 Mar 2010 15:28 #12 by tommyt (tommy tee)
SeaView is great, (got it in Fintastic Aquatics)

Measure and cut your required amount of paper, roll out your vinly -blue side up, pour some drops of seaview on it and spread evenly over the paper using a small bit of kitchen towl, when surface is covered with a thin film of the oil lift and stick onto the OUTSIDE- BACK PANEL of your tank,
use your bank card to squeeze out bubbles/air, your glass will appear as it if is painted,

Mine has been on the glass for over a year now and looks perfect

T

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2010 15:28 by tommyt (tommy tee).

More
18 Mar 2010 12:20 #13 by Dioza (Adam Bell)
Replied by Dioza (Adam Bell) on topic Re:blue backround
I used spray paint, decided on black and it looks very classy if i do day so myself. It doesn't belong in my house :laugh: but the spray paint is easy to remove with a stanly blade if you don't like it. No worry of it falling off either.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds