Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Barebottomed and lovin it.........

More
18 May 2010 12:09 #1 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
I started off with stones and then changed over to sand and now i would like to go bare bottom on me freshwater community tank. Every water change i take a little more sand out. Its startin to look great already. Just wanted to know as a matter of interest who has a bare bottomed tank and why?......Cheers......

Follow me up to Carlow

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2010 12:41 #2 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Bare bottomed on both my tanks Mick, marine tank is bare bottomed as i think sand can be more hassle than its worth and either way over time it will become covered in algae, also powerheads can stir it up which is a big nuisance.
My fluval edge is about 3/4 bare bottomed with a few black pebbles in one corner to give the tank some depth. I like the look of it, its so easy to clean.
I suppose at the end of the day its down to personal preference, i know some people think its bad for the fish as it is like you living in a house full of mirror but my fish don,t seem to mind, never had any problems with bare bottom. I have other things in the tank like some bogwood and plants so its not totally void of anything to look at or some thing for the fish to hid behind.

More
18 May 2010 13:55 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
there are pros and cons for this

but with no strata you reduce the area were beneficial bacteria can grow. thus you increase your work load and may leave your tank open to more problems.

a bare bottom will effect some species when it comes to breeding.

fry raised in bare bottoms may be more prone to disease.

just some things to consider.

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
18 May 2010 14:10 #4 by Ma (mm mm)
To add to the above, some fish like a dim place now and again as we know, a bare bottom reflects making the bottom glass as bright as the top reflecting light in places there shouldn't be light, great to see not great for some fish. My molly wouldn't spawn until I put gravel in as the reflections seemed to freak her out. This was a 30w ina 200l, 54ws or T5s would be far worse.

Depends on species and how many kept I guess. My tank would look manky after 10 mins with the plecos loaches and eels would freak out altogether.

Mark

Location D.11

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2010 14:15 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Barebottomed and lovin it.........
With reference to "freaking out " in a bb Tank, wouldn't that be dependent on the origin of the Fish, I mean, Tank bred vs wild caught?

Kev.

More
18 May 2010 14:34 - 18 May 2010 14:37 #6 by Ma (mm mm)
I think if a fish naturally likes to retire to a dim place as per it's instinct, if it has nowhere ot go it may get stressed, or confused as the sun seems to be at the bottom and top of the tank maybe, but defo not liking the brightness from all sides of the tank.

They'd make do I am sure, the fish, but you will not get natural behaviour I reckon.

Mark

EDIT as for the gravel issue n its filtering properties, No gravel will usually mean no waste trapped on the bottom too, so one will cancel out the other, no grav no cr@p on the bottom building up.

Location D.11
Last edit: 18 May 2010 14:37 by Ma (mm mm).

More
18 May 2010 14:40 #7 by Ieva star (Ieva Fogta)
BB tank the old Sting rays would not be happy

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2010 14:41 - 18 May 2010 14:45 #8 by stretnik (stretnik)
Doesn't it make aquascaping a little harder unless you use Egg Crate, but then you are back to square one or else you have to spend ages, cutting it to the shape of the footprint of Rockwork?

Something else I've noticed, scratches seem magnified on bb Tanks.

append to the last poster, Corys, Geophagus sp. Discus, Gobies, Pit spawners et all would be more stressed without it. Plus, in Tang/Malawi Tanks it acts as a damper to falling Rockwork.

Kev.
Last edit: 18 May 2010 14:45 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
18 May 2010 14:46 - 18 May 2010 14:47 #9 by Ma (mm mm)
Your right kev, guess its what you want to do with the project.

I am no spert so all I do is really make it as cushy for the little buggers as possible while balancing that with sufficient water flow about the tank objects. No scaping from me for a while yet matey, noooovice.

I tell thee you will not find happier corys than mine:)

Mark

Location D.11
Last edit: 18 May 2010 14:47 by Ma (mm mm).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2010 14:52 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
You are, just mental, and I love it, you always make me laugh.
Where are you moving to btw?

Kev.

More
18 May 2010 14:56 #11 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
stretnik wrote:

You are, just mental, and I love it, you always make me laugh.
Where are you moving to btw?

Kev.[/quote
???????????????
you on the heavy stuff again kev

More
18 May 2010 18:47 #12 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Mark. wrote:

as for the gravel issue n its filtering properties, No gravel will usually mean no waste trapped on the bottom too, so one will cancel out the other, no grav no cr@p on the bottom building up.

more time spend taking it out plus fish will be exposed to the chemical normally removed by beneficial bacteria for longer as the amount of bacteria is reduced.

As for cory's well a few years back Daragh Owens was looking for black sand to help with their breeding forget which species. this points to the importantance of what you put on the bottom of the tank.

personally i found i lost more fry from tanks with out strata then from thanks with strata. and once i added some you could see the difference. less belly crawlers etc
mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
18 May 2010 20:07 - 18 May 2010 20:09 #13 by DJK (David Kinsella)
mickeywallace wrote:

Mark. wrote:

As for cory's well a few years back Daragh Owens was looking for black sand to help with their breeding forget which species. this points to the importantance of what you put on the bottom of the tank.

Exactly

I would like to hear of any tropical fish that has to endure their reflection poking back at them from all angles for 8 hours a day on average in their natural enviroment.

As for Corydoras, well it's their natural instinct to have a dig even from a very early age. They are a scavenger fish after all. Sand is best for these because their barbels can get damaged if you have a coarse substrate in their early stages.

Dave

Last edit: 18 May 2010 20:09 by DJK (David Kinsella). Reason: spell

More
19 May 2010 09:58 #14 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
I will always have some sort of substrate in the tanks, marine or fresh. Far more natural looking and depending on the colour, less light bouncing around the setup. Once you stay on top of your cleaning, I dont see a problem.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds