Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

8 foot tank

More
13 Jun 2010 11:13 #1 by Kryspi (Krystian Trocki)
Hi

I'm saving for 8 foot 800l tank, should i look for brand product or look for custom build?

Thanks for advice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2010 14:17 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Depends on your budget I would suggest. A custom made one will be cheaper I reckon,but you need to know exactly what dimensions and depth required,thickness of glass etc..
Gavin

More
13 Jun 2010 15:16 - 13 Jun 2010 15:18 #3 by Kryspi (Krystian Trocki)
this is a thing I'm not sure . My last tank i had was 750L 185cm x 55cm x 75cm(h)but i was moving out and we had to carry it on 7 floor lift was broken on fifth floor bang slip from my m8 hand:( well it was 2.5 year ago now i have rio 125 but looking for something normal size 800-850 liters with spec close to my last one.What thickness of glass will be best for this kind of tank? Budget around 1000euro.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2010 15:18 by Kryspi (Krystian Trocki). Reason: update

More
13 Jun 2010 15:28 - 13 Jun 2010 15:29 #4 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
the thickness depends on the height
Last edit: 13 Jun 2010 15:29 by mossy (gavin blanchfield).

More
13 Jun 2010 15:38 #5 by Kryspi (Krystian Trocki)
height 80 cm

More
14 Jun 2010 00:57 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)

More
14 Jun 2010 13:03 #7 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re:8 foot tank
Depends on the bracing matey seeing as it is only 2 foot tall. Centre of a 8 foot tank will bow without braces on 8mm or 6mm glass of that I have no doubt.

No braces I'd go with 16mm. With 2 braces, 10mm would be ok. This is slightly over strenght but a minimum for safety for me thanks. No risks:)

Always triple check matey, plenty of sources online, noone wants a nightmare blowout.

G'luck with the project, be deadly to see it when you get it set up.
Mark

Location D.11

More
14 Jun 2010 16:28 #8 by Kryspi (Krystian Trocki)
Can't wait myselfB)

More
15 Jun 2010 15:14 #9 by Dioza (Adam Bell)
Replied by Dioza (Adam Bell) on topic Re:8 foot tank
I look forward to seeing this! You should do a short blog on setting up etc. And as some of the lads said, make sure you get it built by someone that knows what their at. Safety first, specially with 800L of water. Good luck with the project :)

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds