Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Devastating Tank Seal Failure.....NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

More
16 Jul 2010 01:24 #1 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
I've just spent the last 4 hours frantically bailing water and netting fish with one hand while trying to hold my 120L aquarium together with the other while my wonderful wife (she might read this) ran around getting towels, buckets and saucepans.

My fish are in a plastic rubbish bin with water from my tank, an airstone and a heater. I'm expecting at least a 50% fish loss. I suppose this could be worse as twice this week I resisted the urge to buy fish and my stock level is at an all time low. (I kinda had a rescaping idea in my head). I don't have any rare or priceless fish (a pair of angels, some cardinals some cory's, some amano shrimp and some female fighters but some of them do have huge sentimental value as I have some fish that I spawned myself and grew on successfully and some that I've just had for years.

I inherited the tank and I suppose its pretty old now but its been set up for years in my sitting room with no previous problems.

I would normally have two 60L aquariums and some smaller homemade tanks free to transfer my fish to but they're currently full of siamese fighter fry and adult males and they're in the shed at the bottom of my garden, its dark, its 2am and its raining.

I know I can take the tank apart, reseal ALL the joints and set up again but I am DEVASTATED......

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2010 01:32 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
tough break mate, put your existing media in the bin and you will minimise losses, where you based, someone may be able to temporarily home them for u while you get it resealed.... i'm in limerick if thats any use to u

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
16 Jul 2010 01:48 #3 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Bad buzz bro, let me know if I can help. Im in Finglas North Dublin.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
16 Jul 2010 02:28 #4 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Thanks very much SheaG35. I hadn't thought of foster care for my fish.
Its really nice of you to offer but I'm in Laois.
Both of my internal filters are sitting in basins of tank water but turned off and not heated. Now that I think about it the basins have had detergent in them recently but were clean and dry. I didn't think ofit at the time. Loss of bacteria from my filter media and gravel is probably going to be my main problem with setting up again.

I think in the morning I'll do some rearranging, assess the water damage to my sitting room floor and get straight to work on resealing the tank. I hate putting adult male siamese fighters in jars but it'd free up some tanks for whatever community fish survive the upheaval. Bettas seem to breed for me no problem but this is the first time I've had really decent breeding stock and I don't really want to sacrifice the fry. I have three completely white fry (possibly albino) which I'm quite excited about and which has never happened before.

You never know, I might be able to persuade my WONDERFUL wife (who might read this) to let me get a new tank for the sitting room. More likely though I'll be setting it up again in the shed after this.

More
16 Jul 2010 02:35 #5 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Viperbot wrote:

Bad buzz bro, let me know if I can help. Im in Finglas North Dublin.

Jay

Thanks Jay. I really appreciate the offer. I'm sure it'll all be ok and I can chalk it down to experience.

More
16 Jul 2010 08:26 #6 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
No sweat mate. Best of luck getting this sorted out. Had a similar experience not too long ago when a faulty filter drained a lot of water out of my tank so I know how much of a nightmare it can be to house fish in the short term, mine were Oscars :laugh: . Anyway, hopefully the losses will be minimum and those fry survive for you. Good luck,

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
16 Jul 2010 09:06 #7 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
What a nightmare. best of luck with the resealing. Know it nots a lot but organic aqua could get you started again. it will hold the system together for the first month at least until the filter media is live again. it will even help in the temporary home. I used it in several tanks both long and short term cold and tropical and think its the biz. People might not like it long term but its great for emergencies like this

More
16 Jul 2010 11:33 #8 by Bella (Avril Lane)
With a bit of juggling I can free up a Lidl 84 litre tank which you can borrow or I can take care of some fish for you, whichever suits. I'm in Killenard, 5kms outside Portarlington if that's any help? I'm housebound with a sick son at the moment so you would need to travel to me. Let me know if I can help and very best of luck with them.

Killenard, Laois

More
16 Jul 2010 21:53 #9 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Thanks very much for your kind offer Bella. I called my Dad this morning and he gave me one of those Lidl 84 Litre tanks that he bought last year and never set up. It was still in the box with a heater and a filter and everything.
I set it up today and all the fish are in there now. I didn't lose a single fish so far but they do look really stressed apart from the shrimp who seem to have actually enjoyed their little holiday.
Fingers crossed now for a few days and hopefully everything will be ok.

I hope your son gets well soon.

Thanks again everyone for your immediate offers of help and support.

John.

More
16 Jul 2010 22:29 #10 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
also, if i can do anything let me know..

More
16 Jul 2010 22:58 - 16 Jul 2010 22:59 #11 by Bella (Avril Lane)
No probs John, let's know if things change and you need another tank, offer stays open. Hope the fish hold up strong for you in the next few weeks. :)

Killenard, Laois
Last edit: 16 Jul 2010 22:59 by Bella (Avril Lane). Reason: typo and tiredness

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds