Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Aquarium Silicone

More
19 Jul 2010 08:34 #1 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
I was wondering which of the main hardware stores stock GE doors and windows I or Tech 7. I got some really good stuff before from E-bay Soudal Silirub AQ but its all dried up. When I tried E-bay agin the original seller is gone and there's a different seller who is looking for a ridiculous post and packaging charge.

I've looked on the websites for Homebase, Woodies etc but can't find it listed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2010 09:00 #2 by glossy (Robert Gloster)
Woodies do it. Think its around €13. B&Q recently had a stand with it on offer 2 for €20

More
19 Jul 2010 09:13 #3 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Thanks Glossy. I'll pick up a couple of tubes today.

More
19 Jul 2010 11:19 #4 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
I believe that tec7 should NOT be used to seal an aquarium...

More
19 Jul 2010 11:20 #5 by Dioza (Adam Bell)
Check round some builders providers too, I picked up a few tubes for €10 each in one near me. Another one was selling it at €15. If your looking for much then B&Q is probably the best option as glossy said. Are you using it for some repairs?

More
19 Jul 2010 11:33 - 19 Jul 2010 11:34 #6 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Ok I won't use tec7. Thanks for the heads up Damian.

Yes Dioza I am resealing a 120L which burst a few days ago........still traumatised......don't really want to go into it.

Saved all the fish though.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2010 11:34 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland).

More
19 Jul 2010 11:38 #7 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
to the best of my knowledge there is a fish safe version of tec7 available which would do the job for you . Thats if the reason for not using it quoted above is how safe it is to use for aquarium life

More
19 Jul 2010 12:53 #8 by Dioza (Adam Bell)
I've used tec7 with great success. Just make sure it has the aquarium safe sign on the back because theres a few different types. The only thing is make sure it has the aquarium safe logo on the back because theres a few differnt types, anti fungus etc. which would be harmful. Someone on another forum told me he emailed tec7 about its use in aquariums and they stand buy it for repairs and the like but they don't recommend it for actual tank building (from scratch) as its too flexible.

Aquarium silicone is a stupid price for the size of the tubes. There are cheaper alternatives but apart from tec7 i'm not sure what they are. Any ones i was looking at seemed to have some sort of anti fungus agent in them.

I used tec7 to reseal a tank and to stick in a diy background on a different one. All fish are still alive in the tanks after 7 months.

More
19 Jul 2010 17:17 #9 by Bella (Avril Lane)
I've used Tec 7 too, as Dioza says check it has a fish symbol on the side. Most hardware stores stock Tec 7, I bought it from my local hardware store in Portarlington.

But as Damian says I have heard people recommend Everflex Aquamate sealant as the best. I have seen this too in my local hardware store. Why don't you give a ring round to see if it's in stock?

Killenard, Laois

More
19 Jul 2010 21:39 #10 by glossy (Robert Gloster)
I can vouch for tec7. Used it to repair a 50l tank . The hole bottom of the tank had a crack going across it. Just layered on the tec7 and it hasn't leaked since that was 3 years ago.

More
19 Jul 2010 21:49 #11 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)

I used tec7 to reseal a tank and to stick in a diy background on a different one. All fish are still alive in the tanks after 7 months.

Was that a carved styrofoam covered in cement type DIY background Dioza?

While I have the tank stripped down I'm tempted to do something like that myself maybe with some tree roots for an Amazon effect.

I didn't get to the hardware shop today but I'm going tomorrow also planning a visit to Seahorse Aquariums tomorrow. Never been there before. Can't wait....

More
19 Jul 2010 23:50 #12 by Dioza (Adam Bell)
Yep styrofoam with pure cement. Its easy to do i could talk you through it. Only thing is mines done since about christmas and the ph in the tank is about 0.2 higher than tap water so the cement keeps a buffering effect for quite a while. After 2 weeks it was only 0.4 higher than tap water so its nothing major but just a consideration.

Heres a recent picture of the tank

s2.postimage.org/8WiSr.jpg[/img]

Sorry for the hijack :P

More
20 Jul 2010 00:27 #13 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Yeah you should be very proud of that. Its very natural looking. The change of topic is probably my fault. Hopefully I won't have to strip down the tank again so this is probably the best opportunity I have to put in a background.
I'll also be putting in some bracing across the top of the tank and maybe at the bottom too which could mean the background could be very awkward to remove.
I'll have a look back at previous posts on backgrounds and have another long think about it all.

Thanks Dioza,

Jaffacakehead.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds