Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

You Pick My New Tank

More
27 Mar 2007 15:03 #1 by zale (Mark carroll)
I need your help choosing a new tank. I want it biggish in around the 500ltr mark with a bow front. So what do ye think ? :wink:

Oh preferably in beech.

Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2007 15:34 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I think they have the Aquatlantis 200 in Blanchardstown (or at least they're an Aquatlantis dealer and can source it). They are better made than the Jewel IMO and don't have a build in internal filter. A tank that size would be best with two external filters.

Regards,

Ken.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Mar 2007 15:44 #3 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: You Pick My New Tank
I'm reliably informed the aqualantis is made by Jewel!

More
27 Mar 2007 16:25 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)

Wasn't aware there was any connection. Aquatlantis are a Portuguese company. Juwel are German. There's no reference to Juwel on the Aquatlantis site or vice-versa. Gavin mentioned this a few weeks back, but I'm not so sure.

Regards,

Ken.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 01:13 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: You Pick My New Tank
A bit off topic but why would you buy a bowfront tank?. If the front gets a crack you can toss the whole thing in the bin (so to speak)
With a traditional tank you can simply replace the cracked piece.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 06:56 #6 by Didihno (Didihno)

Wasn't aware there was any connection. Aquatlantis are a Portuguese company. Juwel are German. There's no reference to Juwel on the Aquatlantis site or vice-versa. Gavin mentioned this a few weeks back, but I'm not so sure.

Yeah thats who told me.

Gavin? Care to enlighten?

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 06:57 #7 by Didihno (Didihno)

With a traditional tank you can simply replace the cracked piece.

Is it that simple?
Say my Rio 240 got a cracked pane.
What happens next?

(cue 14 eejits saying the floor gets wet)

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 08:12 #8 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: You Pick My New Tank
If you are lucky and just have a small crack on the top you just empty the tank get a stanely knife and cut the broken pane out. Remove all the silicone from where the pane used to be an let the whole thing dry. Get a pane cut to size and silicone it back in as if you were building a new tank. If you haven't build a tank before it's best to get somebody to show you.

If it cracks somewhere in the bottom you might want to clean up the mess first and see if you can save any fish. :shock:

the problem with bowfront tanks is that you can't just walk into a glas merchant and buy a curved pane. I have no idea if the aquarium manufacturers will supply spares and if yes it will probably cost a small fortune to get them in.

More
28 Mar 2007 10:40 #9 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Have you watched a bow front tank with fish in it?Some have the tendancy to look quite distorted and a bit hard on the eye,not all mind just some that I have seen.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
28 Mar 2007 13:35 #10 by zale (Mark carroll)
Thanks for all the replies,

I have a round aquel tank - horrible to look into, a rectangular juwel tank - looking in at an angle is distorted, so I thought a bow front would make a change and would be easier on the eyes.

I seen a bow front in a shop full of fish and thought it was better, but then again I didn't study it for long.

Just when I thought I had my heart set on a bow front
:roll: :roll:

Maybe I should of Polled - rectangular tank, bow tank or corner tank ?

Mark

More
28 Mar 2007 14:53 #11 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Bow fronts are nice to look at, but difficult to look into. Mine is a bow front and it took some getting used to. It's fine now.

Another issue is that it's difficult to take pictures of fish in a bow front tank as it picks up a lot of reflection.

I like my Horizon 100, but not sure my next tank will be bow front.

Regards,

Ken.

More
28 Mar 2007 15:51 #12 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I can echo what KenS says, they are a bitch when it comes to taking photos, the reflections are all over the place. There is also strange distortion parrticularly when looking from top fron to bottom back at an angle. However from a distance which is where you will be looking from most of the time I think the gentle bow is nice.

Daragh

More
28 Mar 2007 15:53 #13 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Zale,thats some cross breeding you got there on the fish on right of your photo :lol: :lol:

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
29 Mar 2007 13:49 #14 by zale (Mark carroll)

Zale,thats some cross breeding you got there on the fish on right of your photo

Yea, he looked a bit weird to me alright but when he swam over and licked the glass in the LFS the kids just had to have him :lol: :lol:

Mark

More
31 Mar 2007 02:40 #15 by Gavin (Gavin)
yep. a rep told me in the u.k when I was at a trade show that aqualantis was owned by juwel and that different parts were made by the same company maufacturing for both.So in a sense they are different companies. the point being that quality wise there is no real difference except you dont have a dumb filter system with the aqualantis range that needs taking out.Juwel..nice tanks..hate the filters.And before anyone jumps on me for selling them..you cant argue with the public..they love them! personally speaking I would never buy one.the filter box takes up too much room in the tank.empty tank and a good external.Thats the way to go.No need to aquascape to "hide" the filter box.

dont make me come over there.

More
31 Mar 2007 05:23 #16 by zale (Mark carroll)
To me the aquatlantis looks the best but I wasn't sure about the build quality, I'm the very same when it comes to juwel great tanks but that bloody filter.
If I went with the vision I was going to rip out the filter & buy a second eheim for it.

Still I have another 4 weeks before I can buy (conversion should be finished) so I will probably change my mind about 10 times.

Mark

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds